Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

my first build

ormondopen

here are some pictures of my 1st build. I used a mini mill, picture also attached. Credit goes go to Matt Cheely for the design idea, I saw a gun he did a while back and always liked the design. I had no mill experience until purchasing this mill a over a month ago, I practiced a bunch on on alum./steel stock.

post-11093-081095000 1304182301_thumb.jp

post-11093-041624400 1304182308_thumb.jp

post-11093-058333900 1304182315_thumb.jp

the slide already had the bomar cut, I have instructions for cutting a bomar which seems pretty straight forward, its a tripp sight. after doing this one I feel the mini mills can do any thing I would need it to do. took some time to cut for the rib but other than that everything went pretty smooth.

is that a digital readout there on the back wall? How much extra was that?

Doug

yes its a DRO, that particular one was on sale from Shars for $200 shipped, took a little brain power to figure out how to mount it but it worked out.

Looks like you can spend as much on the tooling and accessories as the mill cost. But looks fun to tinker with.

I would say I have about 1300-1400 in the mill w/ all the tooling.

+1 On the Slide Cuts. Very Nice.

Please do a write up on your experience with the Mill, Tooling, DRO and what it took to to setup for milling the slide. Pretty Please. I'll send you a dollar signed by the secretary of the treasury. :)

Incredibly good job for the first time machinist! Usually such things always have tool chatter, marks all over the place, your part is totally smooth, usually a mark of good hands and... patience! But I suspect you are not new to tools in general, witnessed by a huge cabinet on the right! :)

Next - table power feed! :)

• 2 weeks later...

here are some pictures of my 1st build. I used a mini mill, picture also attached. Credit goes go to Matt Cheely for the design idea, I saw a gun he did a while back and always liked the design. I had no mill experience until purchasing this mill a over a month ago, I practiced a bunch on on alum./steel stock.

VERY nice 1st build.......... I like that little mill, that would me nice to have next to the Bridgeport. I don't have a picture of my 1st build, put here is my 1st open build..... :cheers: to the home built gun's.... the price is right to...

post-24727-077865000 1305253874_thumb.jp

post-24727-062267000 1305253892_thumb.jp

post-24727-073588000 1305253973_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...