Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Interchangeable Breechfaces

I've had no problems with mine, As pretty much all other parts its not an out of the box drop in part. First time it need to be fitted professionally (at least mine did). After that you can change back an forth as you want. I put a drop of Locktit on the screw to keep it in place and have had no problems.

I have 15k through it with no problems. I have not had any interest in taking it apart but I bought the wrench and spare screws, just in case. The great thing about the IBF is that you can replace it and get a brand new fit to the barrel hood. SV has lots of engineering advances that make the guns worth the money and the wait. Although I have heard the wait is getting pretty long.

I've had one come off the gun causing a KaBoom. Here's the thread

KaBoom

I personally know one other person who had the breechface come off while he was loading and making ready for a stage at the 2003 Limited Nationals.

I still like the feature, but probably won't go out of my way to have one on another gun.

Nolan-I have seen the video before, but I wanted to see it again. However, the link no longer exists. ((You have pointed to /video/kaboom.mpg This page does not exist. Please return to our Home Page and try again.)) This is the message that I recieved.

I've had some minor problems with it. Once the screw came loose, degreased everything and locktited it, never came loose again.

Had the same problem as Dave but didn't replace the breechface, gun still functions very well. (100K's, Open .38 Super)

Rufus buy one, I own three of them; one in .40S&W standard, one Open in 38. Super and one .38 Super Bianchi modified, I love SV's quality :wub:

DVC, Henny.

Nolan-I have seen the video before, but I wanted to see it again. However, the link no longer exists. ((You have pointed to /video/kaboom.mpg This page does not exist. Please return to our Home Page and try again.)) This is the message that I recieved.

Oops sorry I removed that video clip when I was cleaning house. I probably won't put it back up because I need the space for more Hoser Stages :P

I'm with Schmitz, except for the money part. My next blaster would be an SVI and so would the one after that. Their engineering is way beyond every one elses. Add the best customer service and you have a winning combination. When I have another built, I would ask Benny Hill to build and SVI open gun. Then you get the best of all worlds. :D

A friend of mine experienced unscrewing of the part causing failure to fire.

He loctited it and fixed the problem.

But after gluing the screw, where is the advantage gone ?

I'd rather go with a regular slide.

On a high priced pistol that I only use for IPSC, I have no need to change the barrel.

The only advantage I see is when you'll sell the gun.

Put on a new breech face and it looks like new .

Julien,

Putting Loctite on the screw does not prevent it's removal ... it just keeps the screw from working loose from the vibration.

I also have little interest in changing calibers but the interchangable breechface gives you the ability to "tighten up" the barrel fit if/when it loosens up. Otherwise you would have to weld up (or replace) the barrel the achieve the same results.

Leo

Leo:

Of course It depends on which Loctite you put.

I work with those products almost everyday, I'm pretty aware of what those products can do or can't ;) .

But why putting another variable in a firearm.

You mean you can tighten up barrel locking by changing the breech face, there are different width of breech face ?

Julien,

The breechfaces come in different thicknesses so that you can tighten up the hood clearance (front to back where the hood bangs into the breechface). The side to side clearance usually does not change very much on a properly fitted barrel since there is no impact causing the peening or wear.

Leo

Let's just suppose, for the sake of argument, that a new caliber came along. A caliber that would revolutionize open shooting. All of a sudden everyone was shooting this new caliber. If you had an IBF, all you would need is a new barel and a new breechface. The rest of the shooters would have to get a new slide as well. Just a small merit of the IBF. :D

Let's just suppose, for the sake of argument, that a new caliber came along. A caliber that would revolutionize open shooting. All of a sudden everyone was shooting this new caliber. If you had an IBF, all you would need is a new barel and a new breechface. The rest of the shooters would have to get a new slide as well. Just a small merit of the IBF. :D

Depending on the caliber change, you might need a new magazine; ejector; extractor (or some combination thereof).

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure why but my second breechface broke just like the original. The tab of metal below the extractor came off. Maybe the 9mm/.38 breechfaces fair better since there is more metal left on that tab than with a .40. Anyway, I now get intermittant failures to extract and need a new breechface. What a pain.

Later

Dave

Thanks Rob, I forgot about the small "need to fit" pieces. BUT, you still don't need a new slide.

You save the cost of what 1000, 2000 rounds of ammo? Three new magazines? A quarter of one major match expense?

I'd be all for the IBF if it was an easy snap-in sort of part. Then you could swap calibers with abandon. That would be fun. Mostly-permanent I don't get.

less parts,less problems. i would not go with the interchangeable breechface, saw a few failures, mainly screw breakage. there's no advantage to it that i can see. i don't know anyone who changes out breechfaces in their pistol to use a different cartridge anyway. standard slide is way to go, why take the risk of a failure if you don't have to. just my 2 cents.