Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan Grip Options?

Mike in CT

I like my new Trojan in 9mm but the wood grips feel slick compared to the plastic diamond grips on my 2011.

Any recommendations as to what I can put on them to get them stickier? My pistol has a small stock magwell on it but I can trim grips to fit if needed.

Was looking at the Hogue rubber ones here, and if they are a bit wider (thicker) even better.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_50_146&products_id=4203

Any suggestions appreciated

Mike

VZ Grips... If they don't have something with enough bite for you then nothing will!!!!

This. I also have a set of Alumagrips that Dan at Southpaw Custom textured for me but they're about 1.7 ounces heavier than the VZ Aliens I have on my Trojan right now, and they put me WAY over weight for IDPA ESP. I plan to get some lighter grips for him to work his magic on, because I really like the feel.

Hello: If you have rough working hands like I do I use the Horned Lizard grips from Larry Davidson(Lazza grips). They are sharp but can be sanded down to make them a little softer if they are too rough for you. I use them the way the come. Great for hot humid climates or even in the rain :cheers: Not that good for inside the waistband all day carry :surprise:Thanks, Eric

Cover them with skateboard tape. In fact, you can sand the wood grips down to whatever diameter you want and put the tape over them to help it fit your hand better. Just fold the tape around the edges of the grip to pinch it between the panel and the frame to help it stay in place better. It will be pretty aggressive for the first few weeks, but it will mellow out and become quite comfortable. I've been running the same skateboard taped grips on my Trojan for almost two years.

The one downside is that the finish gets scuffed up under the grips because of the tape, but since that is never seen anyway, it has never bothered me.

Grit applied to XT grips

STI Trojan with SV magwell

Approx 1 year old 10k rounds

No deterioration of grit texture.

Pic after quick wash with Dawn dish detergent and light toothbrush scrub

Grit adds approx .4 oz

Hope this helps.

post-15498-013034800 1302652256_thumb.jp

I am told the operators are just insanely sharp. is that what you find? do you shoot with gloves?

Mike

I don't use gloves at all, they are sharp when you first get them but you get used to them after like 4 shots and they are good to go.. Never used gloves, never got blisters.. They are good to go.

Grit applied to XT grips

STI Trojan with SV magwell

Approx 1 year old 10k rounds

No deterioration of grit texture.

Pic after quick wash with Dawn dish detergent and light toothbrush scrub

Grit adds approx .4 oz

Hope this helps.

The Falcon XTs are thin, cheap, and I covered mine just like this. If you like sandpaper texture, this is this best deal. Not sexy, or cool looking, but they work.