Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading: Single stage a waste?

I shoot a good bit over 400 rnds a month right now (9mm). I definitely intend to reload eventually, but I'm not going to have the scratch to get a Dillon 650 rig for at least a year. I also just remembered I have a single stage press sitting in my attic somewhere, but no other parts with it.

Is it worth it to get all the associated gear and get setup on a single stage press, if it's just going to be another year or so until I get a big boy rig?

I'd also like to start making some less hot rounds than the factory stuff I shoot now.

I'd suggest a 550 if you don't want to drop the cash for a 650 right now. Especially if you're doing less than 1,000 rounds a month.

Reloading 400+ rounds a month on a single stage would get old QUICK.

dust off the single stage and get back in the game... parts may not be that expensive,..you will save costs on ammo but it will take time..

and set aside for a 550 or 650 and a seatbelt for your chair because you will think it is illegal to load ammo that fast compared to a single stage..

what calibers are you looking to load ? a 550 is more versatile if large rifle is involved or planned for in the future..

post up a pic of the press and I am sure we can help get you back to "bullet packing"

John

The 550 can be ran like a single stage press! Butim sure once you get the hang of it you will be cranking em out like a madd man. you won't be disappointed with dillon's RL550B well worth the money...

If it's not too expensive or time consuming,

I'd get the single stage press going - that's

how I started 50 years ago - you learn all the

basics. Pick some different powders, bullets

and loads to try while you're learning all the

basics of reloading.

Loading 100 rounds a week might take 2 hours

week, or so. Depends on how valuable time is

to you whether that's prohibitive.

For $500, you can get a Square Deal and the

few accessories you'll need to reload 9mm

(calipers, scale) and you'll be able to

load 400 rounds in less than two hours

per month.

You might see if anyone local can help you

reloading in the meantime - and save all your

brass until you get into reloading.

Good luck. Jack

I shoot a good bit over 400 rnds a month right now (9mm). I definitely intend to reload eventually, but I'm not going to have the scratch to get a Dillon 650 rig for at least a year. I also just remembered I have a single stage press sitting in my attic somewhere, but no other parts with it.

Is it worth it to get all the associated gear and get setup on a single stage press, if it's just going to be another year or so until I get a big boy rig?

I'd also like to start making some less hot rounds than the factory stuff I shoot now.

There are a few parts that are Dillon specific but for the most part everything is interchangeable when it comes to dies, scales, powder, primers, bullets, gauges and measuring equipment. It might be a year before you get the 550 or 650 but you can easily have all the other needed gear before you make that purchase. Plus as a single stage re-loader you can work out the perfect load before you start cranking it out at high speed on a Dillon. Once you have that pet load you just need to save several as test cartridges for once the Dillon is set up. Having the correct dimensions for a cartridge makes it a lot easier to set up the new machines seating and crimping dies, and knowing what the needed charge is makes it easier to dial in the powder measure.

A single stage is great as a general purpose press. I have one I use for working up loads or small runs of infrequent calibers and use with a bullet puller. You can also use it to pre-process .40 with a U die.

Always worth having on hand.

I was in a similar situation as you, except my old press is moldering away in another state, so I just bought an inexpensive new single-stage. It allowed me to get going again more quickly with less to go wrong and fuss with and adjust. I've only loaded 350 or 400 rounds with it, but it's not too obnoxious so far. With a single-stage i can do it while I watch tv. all told, 50 rounds takes me around 45 minutes including swapping dies (lee breechlock system so no need to readjust everything, just check it quickly). I decap, size, and prime all the brass I have at once, then I do lots of 50 at a time expanding and charging, seating and then crimping. Starting with decapped, sized, primed brass, it's just under 30 mins for me load 50 cartridges, so I can spend an hour a week to get 400/month.

I know I'll eventually get a dillon progressive system, but there's no way I can spend the money right now.

At any rate, you really have nothing to lose since you already have the press. You'll need dies and a scale and a powder measure evntually anyway, so your investment now should be minimal. If you want cheap, the lee perfect powder measure is cheap and effective. I would stay away from their scale which is painfully hard to use (but is accurate and works) and get a decent digital scale. Other than that you just need some dies. For $130 or so you could be rolling with a cabela's digital scale.

If you don't have a primer tool, add a few bucks for that too. It will still come in handy in the future.

Were I you, I'd dust off the single stage now, save some ammo money, and relearn on it. Chances are that, when you upgrade, you'll still find that there are times that you'll want to use your old press, so leave it on you bench when you get the new press.

May want to save up for a more progressive press. I've loaded with a SDB, 650, and a 1050 - the latter two now sitting on my reloading bench. Like everyone else said the single stage will get old after awhile. if you can afford it in a few months, look at a 550, which is more than enough press for you needs. If money is hard to come by maybe look at a lee turret prett. I LOVE dillon but cost-wise there are some good presses for less.

per month.

Good luck. Jack

The SDB is a great press. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It really does depend on your time regarding the single stage. I would try to get stuff you will need when you step up. Carbide pistol dies, scale (and a balance works fine), tumbler, that sort of thing.

I don't understand the "loader race". But if you are going to do .40 or other calibers in the future, the SBD may not be the best choice. I went from a rock chucker to the 550, and have loaded thousands of rounds with it.

Were I you, I'd dust off the single stage now, save some ammo money, and relearn on it. Chances are that, when you upgrade, you'll still find that there are times that you'll want to use your old press, so leave it on you bench when you get the new press.

Yes, exactly.

May want to save up for a more progressive press. I've loaded with a SDB, 650, and a 1050 - the latter two now sitting on my reloading bench. Like everyone else said the single stage will get old after awhile. if you can afford it in a few months, look at a 550, which is more than enough press for you needs. If money is hard to come by maybe look at a lee turret prett. I LOVE dillon but cost-wise there are some good presses for less.

Great advice. I do love the Dillon, and the 550 is great, but when you get into the presses that are even bigger, and faster, there is a lot of work just keeping up with them, like loading primer tubes.

Good luck, and there is nothing wrong with buying what you need, and not what you want.

Gene

Reloading 400 rnds a month is doable on a single stage press. That would equate to about 4 hrs at the bench per month, or one hr per week.

For almost my first year of competitive shooting I handled all of my reloading chores on a Hornady single stage press that I already had. I was probably shooting 600-800 rnds a month. I batch loaded, which helped save time, and I was able to keep up. But god help me if I got behind...

Then I got wise and got a 550.

If it's not too expensive or time consuming,

I'd get the single stage press going - that's

how I started 50 years ago - you learn all the

basics. Pick some different powders, bullets

and loads to try while you're learning all the

basics of reloading.

per month.

You might see if anyone local can help you

reloading in the meantime - and save all your

brass until you get into reloading.

Good luck. Jack

Good thing about the Dillon square deal B is the FACT that you will not lose much money at all on the resale side if or when you want to move up to a 650. Look at the prices on Ebay, gunbroker, etc. They are close to new prices.

If you are not Dillon specific you can look at a Hornady Progressive as an option. I started this way, loaded one case at a time until I was ready to utilize the full functionality of the press. Now with a case feeder I can easily push out 400 an hour. Cabelas has it for $399, you get 500 free bullets and then figure another $200 for dies, caliper, case tumbler, media, bullet puller, case gauge, loading manual etc.

I have loaded thousands of rounds on mine and am now cranking out a couple of thousand a month as I have picked up my practice schedule. Warranty is lifetime, the unit comes with a set up DVD and Hornady has excellent customer service.

I have a Dillon 550 but still use my single stage RCBS sometimes. I load .44 mag on it because i shoot it alot less than .45 acp and .38 special. I also use it for load development sometimes. When i just want to run 10 or 15 rounds. I have the Hornady Lock N load bushings set up for it so its pretty quick to change out dies. I love those LNL bushings.

Id use your single stage until you get the scratch to get the progressive you desire. Dont settle for less than what you want. If you want a 650 wait and use what you have until then.

Once you have a progressive I'll wager you will be shooting MORE !! Since I set up my 550 I shoot twice as much as i used to.

If you pick up a used square deal for under $300 you will be able to resell it for 100% of what you paid for it down the road if you decide to move up to a 550 or 650. These things never lose value after the initial depreciation hit of not being 'new'

back in the day, i had a lee single stage press which was finefor what i was doing, then i got into competitive shooting...realizing that i was burning on average 300 rds per week, and it was taking me all week to load em forthe weekend, then to start all over again in a big vicious cyclei said no more...plus do the math...1200 pulls on a single stage for 400 rds or 400 and be done with it??? recently it took me 2 hrs to load up 500 rds of rifle on my 550...

I say go for it. Here's the reasons why....

• 400 rds/month is 100 rds/week or about 2 hours (that's easy!)

• Even if you continue to buy factory loads for competition, there is a lot of load development you could be doing right now.

• The accessories you buy to get the single stage running (dies, calipers, scale, reloading manual) will all be needed with a 550 or 650 anyway. Buy them now or buy them later... those items still have to be bought.

• Even if you had a 650 today, you'd still require a single-stage over on the side to do odd jobs. Get it out now or get it out later... it's still got to come out.

Think about it.

I have a rock chucker, partner press, and rcbs pro 2000. I do not understand the appeal of dillon presses at all. They are way overpriced if you ask me. The 1050 might be nice, but why? I easily do 500 every couple hours just like anyone else. Except my powder stays in my brass.

I have a rock chucker, partner press, and rcbs pro 2000. I do not understand the appeal of dillon presses at all. They are way overpriced if you ask me. The 1050 might be nice, but why? I easily do 500 every couple hours just like anyone else. Except my powder stays in my brass.

I easily do 500 in 30-40 minutes on my 650 and since i added a $8 bearing and snipped a coil on a spring, the powder stays in the brass. Then I spend the next couple hours at the range shooting.