Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best kydex production holster?

Red Ryder

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ripped off a match personal best .87 draw yesterday out of my Comp-Tac belt holster for my P226ST. I had to modify the area around the trigger guard though, because it dug into my middle finger on the draw. Nothing a dremel and some sandpaper couldn't fix, though.

Best while dry firing is .7, but that's without prepping my DA trigger. So yeah, they're fast enough :)

Edited by DonovanM

You'll get as many recommendations as you will holster manufacturers. I use ready tactical and don't see any reason to switch. Besides, unless you get some sort of oddball nylon rig with thumbstrap, whatever kydex holster you buy won't hold you back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go with the DOH Bladetech over a Comp-Tac for production. I have both and the DOH has an advantage IMO, because it's sits further off the body than the Comp-Tac does. Both are well made and excellent choices and you can't go wrong with either one but since it's a game go with the advantage if you can.

Another vote for Ready Tactical DOH from CPWSA! I like it more than the BT, because the design of the drop/offset doesn't have anything that can pinch your thumb and interfere with getting a good grip out of the holster :cheers:

Does ready tactical make a holster that will work for uspsa singlestack division that is NOT IDPA legal? Everything looks like it has some drop, interested in a no drop, with some offset holster.

• 1 month later...

Bladetech will probably be the most popular. I use a $18 uncle Mike's kydex holster for my glock and it works great.

2 questions, can you use the Uncle Mike's holster in a IDPA &USPSA matches? and if I was to get one for my G19(just to get started) would I be able to use it for G27 say if I was to wanna use it as a backup or if my wife was to wanna shoot the G27?

Bladetech will probably be the most popular. I use a $18 uncle Mike's kydex holster for my glock and it works great.

2 questions, can you use the Uncle Mike's holster in a IDPA &USPSA matches? and if I was to get one for my G19(just to get started) would I be able to use it for G27 say if I was to wanna use it as a backup or if my wife was to wanna shoot the G27?

Yes it is legal in IDPA and USPSA. If you get the one for the G17 it should work with any small frame Glock.

Will that be legal for production?

Why wouldn't it be?

Max distance from inside of belt to to handgun =/< 2 inches; Check.

Worn behind the hip according to Appendix E3; Check.

Covers gun up to 1/2 inch below the ejection port; Check.

Butt of gun above top of belt; Check.

Suitable for everyday use. Race gun type holster prohibited. Well, it may not be the one you use every day, but functionally, it's a kydex holster with some adjustments like most other kydex holsters.

I believe it will be legal.

Once you break in the lining on the DAA PDR Low Ride, that holster draws like no other. The first few draws you will hate it as the suede lining is a bit too clingy, but one its broken in, its perfect, and very adjustable.

Will that be legal for production?

Why wouldn't it be?

Max distance from inside of belt to to handgun =/< 2 inches; Check.

Worn behind the hip according to Appendix E3; Check.

Covers gun up to 1/2 inch below the ejection port; Check.

Butt of gun above top of belt; Check.

Suitable for everyday use. Race gun type holster prohibited. Well, it may not be the one you use every day, but functionally, it's a kydex holster with some adjustments like most other kydex holsters.

I believe it will be legal.

Very true. Whats the price on a holster like that? If its cheaper then a Blade-Tech DOH then it might be worth a try.

• 1 month later...

I used a Blackhawk Serpa starting out - had the holster for my P95 which is what I got into the game with. When I upgraded to an M&P 9L for production my budget was already strained outfitting the gun with extra mags and the like, so I went with a $10 (what CDNN is selling them for) Uncle Mike's kydex belt holster for the M&P. Truth be told, my draw is no slower from it than from the Serpa (which was $35 - still not too much overall but several times the price).

My thought is that as funds allow (after I take care of other upgrades on the gun) I'll probably move to a Bladetech eventually, but at this point I don't think the Uncle Mike's affects my draw time enough to really amount to much on the match results.

i have a comp-tac and a double alpha race master both for a singlestack 1911.

best draw on steel at 10 yards with the comptac - .8

best draw with the race master - .8

i'm starting to think the holster itself isn't going to be the limiting factor outside of tons of practice.

having said all that, I really like the ready tactical and am thinking about getting a 3rd holster.

• 2 months later...

For a DOH style, I prefer the 525 from Performance Holsters. He bent over backwards to get it just right for me (not many choices for the CZ Shadow in DOH at the time)

http://www.performanceholsters.com/Competition_Gear.htm

For Single Stack I'm now using a Triple Crown. If you can live without DOH, I highly recommend them.

http://crown3x.com/origins.html