Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whats the best optic for AR-15 in 3 gun match??

Grinch

I just purchased a 1.5-5x simmons turkey scope (prodiamond ret) at the suggestion of Bennie Hill. I haven't competed much with it, but I like it around the house :)

I'm running it thru the black rifle day match here in VA, and hope that it does well.

Enough magnification to reach out and touch the long stuff, but can shoot both eyes open on the short stuff.

kdmoore,

Be careful with the turkey scopes. I played with a bushnell turkey scope several years ago. It worked great to about 150 yards, but any longer and parallax became a severe problem. Most of the scopes designated as "turkey" scopes have a factory parallax setting of 50 yards, since you generally won't take any shots longer than 50 yards at turkeys. I would try to get out to at least 300 yards and give it a try and see if you have any problems. I think Cavalier rifle and pistol club outside of Richmond, Va. has a rifle range that goes out to 500.

Benny may have already checked this out, maybe he can provide some guidance.

Erik

I believe paralax is a problem only at higher magnification (above 4x). I have a Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 and have not noticed any problems with paralax.

Good thing my Leupold only goes to 4X!

What kind of reticle does your Nikon have? And do you know the MSRP?

I believe paralax is a problem only at higher magnification (above 4x).  I have a Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 and have not noticed any problems with paralax.

Good thing my Leupold only goes to 4X!

What kind of reticle does your Nikon have? And do you know the MSRP?

My Nikon has a funky diamond shape reticle outline and a fine cross hair in center. Hard to describe since it is not even shown on their website. The closest to it is the Pro Diamond of the Simmons, but twice as large and three times as heavy for the diamond part. Easy to pick up at close range and the fine cross hair is superb for long range targets. I paid $250 for it from Cabelas but you might find it cheaper elsewhere.

Hit's at 300 as easy as 30

hehe, right Benny :) I'm afraid I'd have to claim misses at 30 as easy as 300.

Actually, I haven't had a chance to shoot much with it yet. I started with two non luminated scopes. I made a comparison or two just around the house. I'll start a thread on later tonight

I didn't go for the illuminated, as it was not as available (got mine from midway).

I have another 4x illuminated cheapie I bought on a whim. I think it helps if shooting at dusk. I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt in the simmons, but not sure how much it will help.

I was about to move to a low powered variable on my JP CTR-02, but decided that an ACOG along with the JPoint dot on the handguard was the best setup for me and because I am in Open Division, the second optic made more sense for transitions from near to far than to be fiddling with a knob. Besides, the JPoint down on the handguard has so little bore to sight offset that I have stopped worrying about POA/POI offset on point blank targets like a top mounted optic requires at close range.

For Tactical Division, a low powered variable like the IOR Valdada, The Leupold CQT, or the Simmons Turkey scope seems to be the hot setup.

For Limited, the two prefs seem to be a standard AR rear peep with thin AR front post (.40- .60), or the standard AR rear peep with a Globe type front using changeable inserts.

For Tactical, or Limited, a second set of close range sights that can be mounted on the handguard is legal and is available from JP Rifles. This is a great option for close, fast stuff.

JP Rifles Handguard Irons

--

Regards,

How about the Leupold 1-4x 20mm? They make a rifle version and a shotgun version. There aren't a whole lot of other scopes that go down to no magnification. (Didn't somebody say it isn't a true 1x?)

Is the advantage of 1x only in my head? Do the 1.1x, 1.25x, and 1.5x work just as well on close targets?

I like a simple red dot in one or two minutes. At 200 or 300 yards you are probably talking about steel and if you can see it you can hit it. How many 300 yard shots do you have in the rifle portion of a match? Not many. It is perfect for the long paper shots that, because of scoring, are usually within 100 yards and of course you can smoke on the up close paper. Matches are usually set up so iron sights can be competitive and the red dot is just a easy to see iron sight. I might be wrong but we should know in a year or two.

How about the Leupold 1-4x 20mm? They make a rifle version and a shotgun version. There aren't a whole lot of other scopes that go down to no magnification. (Didn't somebody say it isn't a true 1x?)

I have the rifle version of the Vari-X II 1-4X20mm. I think the difference between the two is that the shotgun version has the heavy duplex, and the rifle version has the standard duplex reticle.

I also have the old Vari-X II version. I don't know if the VX-II series is any different other than the name.

If it's not a "true 1X," it's tough to tell. I don't think you'll notice it if there is any difference.

Erik,

I notice the difference between a true 1x and the 1.25x-1.5x scopes during my transitions. Having a 1.5x scope and shooting with both eyes open, like a dot, my peripheral vision gets all screwed up. If I do it long enough, my eyes get fatigued and I'll start to get headaches. I would test it out for yourself and see if you have any difficulties before you buy one.

Erik

Erik,

I notice the difference between a true 1x and the 1.25x-1.5x scopes during my transitions. Having a 1.5x scope and shooting with both eyes open, like a dot, my peripheral vision gets all screwed up. If I do it long enough, my eyes get fatigued and I'll start to get headaches. I would test it out for yourself and see if you have any difficulties before you buy one.

Erik

Mine too, that's why I like my CQ/T the most. At 1x, it is unbeatable in both eyes open shooting. The turkey reticle scope was my way of getting a workable scope on the second rifle without spending $600.

I've been enjoying this thread on the Simmons "turkey scopes" so I thought I'd add my experience with it.

I put a 1.5 x 5 20mm on my AR six months ago and have used it regularly at 3 gun matches. Near or far, it's been great - no parallax issues at distance, good eye relief and target acquisition close up seems just as fast as a dot. I have wrung it out several times at Cavalier (near Richmond, VA) at 300 yards and with zero at 100 yds. with the crosshairs, I'm dead on at 300 using the bottom of the diamond. The 20mm has better FOV than the 32, but either way it's a very cost effective solution. I'm considering trying the 32mm illuminated reticule just to see if there's any advantage.

Platinum and Eric the bear,

Sounds like we'll cross paths a time or two. I'll look for the other guy with a simmons. You probably know about Rolling T(hunder). How bout the "weapons master" out at rivanna, or the upcoming "black rifle day" on april 17th? It's a couple of hours south of richmond. There's a thread on AR15.com in the hometown section.

Are there other nearby shoots that I'm not aware of? I've never tried the NRA 3gun (shot an ipsc once only). I hear it's pretty tough to get in. I only shoot saturdays, so that eliminates any of the sunday shoots. (I help set Rolling Thunder up on Sat, then shoot thru).

Just ordered the Simmons 1.5x5x20mm pro diamond. Benny highly recommended it and i saw him shoot with it at our last three gun match and he rocked with it. He nailed the close up stuff and 180 yd shots were no problem either. I'll let you guys know how I do with it at our next match.

LD

rhino, the shotgun version is made to be parallax-free at 75 yards, the rifle version twice that distance. It's not just the reticles.

Thanks, Eric! I'm glad I got the "right" one. My brother got the shotgun version (don't know why) and had Leupold convert it to the standard duplex.