Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P90x and Insanity workout

TRUbor9

Which one do you prefer? I want to get into a workout plan to help my physical shape and shooting. also i'm doing research on diet now but i would like to hear what you have to say aswell.

Edited by TRUbor9

cant speak for insanity, but i did do p90x. i recommend it without question. i lost 46 pounds on the plan. followed everything to a t. went from 213 lbs to 167. then i put almost all of it back on in the following 9 months by doing absolutely no exercise and eating whatever i felt like :unsure: based on what i know from the programs i would do the fit test for p90x to see if you're ready for it by their standards. if you're don't pass their standards or come close i would say do p90x. if you blow the p90x fit test out of the water then chances are you've got options. if you devote yourself to either program i'm confident you will be in the best shape of your life, but to do insanity and take full advantage of it, you've got to start out pretty fit. i suppose the same could be said for p90x but to a lesser extent. good luck and i wish you all the will power you can hope for.

I have done p90x twice now. Prior to p90x I really didn't know anything about working out. The thing that I don't like about p90x is that it is too long, the workouts are at least an hour long and Yoga is an hour and a half (although I never get all the way through it). Then after your workout you are supposed to do an ab workout after that, at least 3 times a week or something, I usually don't have enough to get through that either. I just don't have the time for that much commitment for 3 months.

to do insanity and take full advantage of it, you've got to start out pretty fit.

This is very true. As is the other point, that you have to commit to a lifestyle change or the forces of time will erode your success.

to do insanity and take full advantage of it, you've got to start out pretty fit.

This is very true. As is the other point, that you have to commit to a lifestyle change or the forces of time will erode your success.

P90X and Insanity are advanced routines, and you need to be in really good shape. Start with the P90 program and if you complete then go on to the others.

MDA

Since I see both the informercial on a regular basis (work for a cable network) I have been considering picking one up since I really need to get myself into some kind of shape other and rounded (not bad yet, but would like to make a change sooner rather than later), but what worries me is how high impact both of these appear to be. I have a partially torn ACL (doctor tells me it can't be repaired until I do a complete tear) and some cartiledge tears in my right knee so I cannot stand up to high impact workouts.

I guess what I am wondering is are these as high impact as it seems?

Bring it. The big advantage to Insanity is that it only takes 40-50 minutes a day. It's intense but quick. P90x has more resistance exercises and more potential to get stronger, but Insanity is a huge cardio/optometric interval workout every day if that is what you are looking for.

Both emphasize nutrition as crucial to success.

• 4 months later...

Insanity will increase your agility more than P90X. Greater Agility = better shooting in the USPSA/IPSC sport. If you're goal is to get fit and improve your shooting Insanity is your best bet. Follow the plan and actually do the exercise...eat the right foods...and you'll get the results.

Good luck!

--Lanzo

Since I see both the informercial on a regular basis (work for a cable network) I have been considering picking one up since I really need to get myself into some kind of shape other and rounded (not bad yet, but would like to make a change sooner rather than later), but what worries me is how high impact both of these appear to be. I have a partially torn ACL (doctor tells me it can't be repaired until I do a complete tear) and some cartiledge tears in my right knee so I cannot stand up to high impact workouts.

I guess what I am wondering is are these as high impact as it seems?

at 47 I started p90x after Medial Meniscal Tear, but as Tony would say " do your best forget the rest" and "modify as needed" to do the exercise within the limits of the injury, never did the diet part went from 205 to 179, just restarted the program about a month ago, I also have his one on ones, and p90+, I am a believer! my knee is capable of most anything and turning 50 in a few months (never had any surgery). Like others have said you will be in the most fit shape of your life more than likely. I have the insanity and if I was 15-20 years younger I would give it a serious try and maybe I will give it a go in a few months but Tony Horton and his DVD's got me sold.

As far as the" high impact?" they could be but again he gives you options to take it down a notch if you cannot perform the exercise as its shown.

Best of Luck!

Along the same lines....have any of you guys tried the 10 minute trainer workout that Tony Horton does? I found that I couldn't commit to enough time to do the full P90x, but am thinking the 10 min series I may be able to pull off.

I have 10 minute trainer and use it. It is difficult to get in an hour and a half of yoga and 10 minute trainer kind of fits. I like it especially for weekends or early morning. It is fast tempo and you know you did someting when you get done. I wouldn't hestitate getting it, it is better than sitting on your rear! ;)

Along the same lines....have any of you guys tried the 10 minute trainer workout that Tony Horton does? I found that I couldn't commit to enough time to do the full P90x, but am thinking the 10 min series I may be able to pull off.

I'm a Fitness and Nutrition Professional, CSCS, 16 years in the business, HUNDREDS of clients...

Both programs will work in the short run. Both programs burn huge numbers of calories, so as long as your diet is good, they will get results.

NEITHER program will address long-term "leanness". As we age, we typically lose lean body mass (muscle). Both of these programs will induce fat loss, but will also tear into a significant amount of your muscle. If you choose either as an initial 90-day kick-start, make sure you follow it up with a progression to heavier weights, and lower repetitions in the long run, with fewer, but still intense "cardio" sessions, like HIIT (high intensity interval training). In the long run, it's ALL about endogenous hormone production, testosterone in men. You simply cannot significantly raise your endogenous testosterone production back to approaching youthful levels with high rep, light weight exercise. The heavier loads, 6-12 reps to form-failure, produce more hormones, which (re-)builds more muscle, which burns/controls the fat. This is hard science, not marketing.

That said... All fat loss routines are 80+% diet. If you do either routine and eat like crap, your get fitter, but not much leaner.

AND Most of the guys in the infomercials who are getting huge results are doing more than P-90X alone, or Insanity alone... I'd bet my whole gun collection they are on some combo of HGH, Anovar, Winstrol, etc, etc, or all three... Like I said, it's all about the hormones... endogenous, or "otherwise"...

JeffWard

Priorities, priorities, priorities... There are 168 hours in a week!!! If you can't find 3 to devote to exercise, you're NOT going to get results.

Jeffward

Priorities, priorities, priorities... There are 168 hours in a week!!! If you can't find 3 to devote to exercise, you're NOT going to get results.

Jeffward

Fair enough......I'm just being lazy.

So, if I wanted to take a legal supplement, what would I take? Not to look like Bonds, just to help......

I'm a Fitness and Nutrition Professional, CSCS, 16 years in the business, HUNDREDS of clients...

Both programs will work in the short run. Both programs burn huge numbers of calories, so as long as your diet is good, they will get results.

NEITHER program will address long-term "leanness". As we age, we typically lose lean body mass (muscle). Both of these programs will induce fat loss, but will also tear into a significant amount of your muscle. If you choose either as an initial 90-day kick-start, make sure you follow it up with a progression to heavier weights, and lower repetitions in the long run, with fewer, but still intense "cardio" sessions, like HIIT (high intensity interval training). In the long run, it's ALL about endogenous hormone production, testosterone in men. You simply cannot significantly raise your endogenous testosterone production back to approaching youthful levels with high rep, light weight exercise. The heavier loads, 6-12 reps to form-failure, produce more hormones, which (re-)builds more muscle, which burns/controls the fat. This is hard science, not marketing.

That said... All fat loss routines are 80+% diet. If you do either routine and eat like crap, your get fitter, but not much leaner.

AND Most of the guys in the infomercials who are getting huge results are doing more than P-90X alone, or Insanity alone... I'd bet my whole gun collection they are on some combo of HGH, Anovar, Winstrol, etc, etc, or all three... Like I said, it's all about the hormones... endogenous, or "otherwise"...

JeffWard

JeffWard

And are mesomorphs...we ecto-types hate those guys :sight: