Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

270 vs 308 vs ?

Robert King

I am looking to pickup a bolt gun, for times/matches where I have to go out beyond 400 or 500 yards. There are good chances that some matches I may shoot in could have 600 and up yard shots. I can't shoot well with my AR at that range and worry it would not drop steel. I don't want to shoot my 300 win mag elk gun due to cost and pain. I was thinking about a Rem 700 in .270 as good distance gun, but have never shot one. Anyone have experience with the 270? I read a lot that says recoil is very comfortable and it is a great flat long distance round. I also thought about 300 wsm, but the ammo is pretty expensive.

So, looking for some opinions on if .270 might work well or if I should just stick with the 308 round. Or, do you have other suggestions? Also, I want to keep the gun, sans optics, less than $1k.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the 270 is a great cartridge....it lacks good quality high BC bullets. And the recoil is gonna be more than you want to put up with. The 308 is the standard. Factory ammo is available every where and your bullet selection is awesome.

My next rifle will be a 260 Remington.

BTW there is a Remington 308 varmint in a B&C medalist lightweihgt varmint stock over on Snipershide. The price is ok.

You may also want to consider a 6.5 Grendel upper for your AR. It's got similar ballistics to the 308 and has a huge selection of bullets. But you can usually get a decent bolt gun for the same price as a new upper and it will most likely be more accurate.

or reload your 300 win mag with the same match grade bullets people are using in 308's and at the same velocity. At lowert pressures your brass will last longer, lots of faster powders. You dont alwasy have to shoot full power loads.

Stick with a .308 based case. I prefer .260 and have a gas gun and a bolt gun in this caliber.

You could also consider the .243, but for the same energy, the pressures are higher, the brass gets worked more and the barrel life is much less than a .260. The 7mm-08 is pretty darn good with ballistic and velocity advantages over the .308, but about the same barrel life. With all of the new .260s, there is pretty good info and components available.

The .270 is a decent caliber, but it is not supported with high BC bullets like some of the others. I'd go with a .308 before a .270. The .270 is based on the .30-06 case which has a relativley high length to diameter ratio, which, generally will be less accurate than the .308 cases.

I've owned and hunted with the .243, .260, .270 and 7mm-08 and the .260 is the best of all. I keep my .243 because it was my first high powered rifle, but I only shoot it here and there for nostalgia, and because it has an 11.5" LOP.

I'll put a vote in for the .308. Take a long hard look at the Savage 10 FCP line (under law enforcement). I like McMillan stocks but the HS Precision's are good also. I own one of the older models (10FP-LE2B with McMillan A3 stock) and it shoots REALLY well. I'm not going to say it's better than the custom guns like GA Precision because it's not, but I am getting sub .5MOA out of mine and it holds that out to as far as my skill level will allow. I'm running the 175gr SMK and have a 26" barrel with 1/10" twist. The new ones have a 24" barrel with same twist. My bullets run about 2780fps with 44.4gr Varget. I can get to 300 right around 4.0MOA on my scope.

I looked online and found the FCP with HS stock for $919 and the FCP with McMillan stock for $1,107. That's right around your budget. You could even throw in a decent set of rings for just over $1k if you went with the HS Precision stock.

If you put a muzzle brake on a .308, it will shoot softer than you can immagine. No muzzle flip but loud as hell if you're a bystander. Badger makes a good brake.

PM me if you have any questions about reloading for the .308 since that's what I've done for the past 10 years before I got the pistol bug. Still shoot long range, just not as much.

I can't comment on the .260 since I don't own one but I REALLY want one and have done enough research to put in a good word for it. TONS of reloading info for either cartridge.

Edited by Erik S.

Most 270s are set up as light wt. mt rifles in commercial configurations , which doesn't work as well as a heavier tactical type stock. If you still want a hunter type check out the Savage long range hunter in 6.5x284. That and a SS3x9 ffp would get you on the trail for about $1500.

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

I plan on shooting factory ammo for now, as I don't reload rifle yet, just pistol. I don't see me shooting more than several hundred a year with this rifle, so barrel life is not going to be a concern for me. I guess the caliber with the best factory ammo and an out of the box rifle is going to be best for me. I suspect that good factory ammo and an out of the box rifle can shoot better than I can, when it comes to anything out past 400 to 500.

How much do you spend on ammo? If you care about the cost, you pretty much just chose .308. If not, the .260 is worth a hard look! If you plan on reloading for it sometime soon, just wait a LITTLE longer and get set up for reloading. By then you'll have the cash for the gun of your choice as well as a good scope. Can't stress how important it is to get a good base/rings and glass!!!

If you're interested in extreme accuracy, I'd stay away from the "screw on barrels". Well, they're all "screw on" in theory, but you get my drift.

270 is what I like to call a gay redneck round, every idiot hunter I know uses one to deer at 100 yards, to them thats long range hunting with there Barska scope, get a Rem700 in 308, add a 20moa one piece base, Harris 6-9 swivel with notched legs bipod, PodLok, rear bag, save up for a good scope from Nightforce and learn to read the wind and cut your teeth in LR shooting, skip the 168's and only shoot 175 Blackhills or FGGM if you don't reload, this setup will last around 8000 rounds, then get a custom built 260!

have .270 and .308 bolt guns. also got the 6.5G AR. none of them will shoot inside my .243win. as a small comparison, my .308 load (168smk over 45.5g varget) has about 49" drop at 500yds, where the .243 (107smk on 39.5g imr4350) drops a little over 38". less recoil, less cost of components.

heres some more info: http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html in particular pay attention to the article about George Gardner.

have .270 and .308 bolt guns. also got the 6.5G AR. none of them will shoot inside my .243win.

I am sure that is totally correct. However, if you are pushing 107s at 3100 or more, your brass life is short and your barrel life is short. Burkett went to .243 and then went back to 6.5s because the barrel life was so short.

Thanks for all the input. I have decided I am going to go with 308 or 243, based on everything I have been able to learn, good factory ammo available locally and what I can afford.

Now, another question. I would like suggestions for an out of the box rifle brand/model. I don't want to do any work to it nor send it to a gunsmith. This is going to be my first precision rifle and I expect almost any decent rifle can shoot a LOT better than I can, so I don't need the best. I am going to mount my Bushnell Trophy 6500 4.5 - 30 x 50 to it.

Criteria

1. MOST IMPORTANT. I have several fused vertebrae in my back and neck. This makes a good cheek weld difficult with a plain stock. I need something where the cheek is elevated or even adjustable. Worst case, I can wrap the stock to make it higher.

2. Not crazy heavy. I want to shoot from the bench but also want it light enough for off hand shooting from time to time.

3. A comp would be nice, but not required.

4. Removeable magazines that are easy to use would be nice, but not required.

5. Lastly, a street price of under $1,000 to $1,300.

someone back a few posts stated that the 6.5 creedmoor with 140gr bullets had more energy than the 300WM at 1000yds. I just had to look that one up, 6.5/140/2700fps=514fp, 300/190/3000fps=915fp. Did I misread something somewhere???????

trapr