Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Tuning" Glock mag's for production

Pro-Pain

I run Dawson's on my practice mag's, just to cut down on having to go back to the table to reload. They add 3/4 rds, but on the newest Gen. mag's you have to trim the follower just a bit (very descriptive insert shows you exactly how). They're still tough to get off though. Even though they're Dawson's with a sliding gate, the Glock mags have those little

"nubs" that can be hard to swing that gate off.

I recommend them though. They add rounds, add a little bit of weight for mag changes/drops, and are easier than the damn OEM Glock floorplates to get off.

I've never had any trouble with factory mags as they are sold. You might change springs after a busy season, but the new ones are fine. If you have any sort of reliability issue you should obviously fix it, but if it ain't broke .....

I had some weird feeding issues in my production and limited G35's with ammo at 1.135" OAL, randomly I would have a round feed into the chamber nose high and jam that way. After I dug into the problem I found the mags had varying feed lip gaps. So some mags would let the next roud come up higher in the gun than others, thus changing the angle it fed into the chamber. After some data collection (read a lot of shooting here) I found the mags with the narrower feedlips had the problem, the wider ones fed like champs. I gapped them all the same width as the largest gap I had in my group of mags (12 all together, max gap was .394") Since then I haven't had any issues with either gun.

Just something to look at from a reliability standpoint.

Never had a problem with Glock factory mags. Replace your springs at the end of the season.

Replace mag springs? People do that? :)

I realize it is a good idea---but I would suggest that people not worry about it much either. I have never changed out the springs on any of my Glock mags, and they all run perfectly well. And yes, I shoot more than a little.

I'm not saying you should just mostly ignore it like I do. On the other hand, replacing all your springs each year really isn't necessary, in my opinion. Okay, maybe if you shoot 50,000 rounds per year through the same 5 mags, then you should. But if you are like me and cycle 20,000 rounds through 10-15 mags, it really won't be an issue for quite some time.

On the other hand, I'm finally getting around to replacing the recoil spring this year in the Glock 19 I bought in 1993, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me about springs. (It has never given me any problems, but I thought, "Hey, I should probably eventually do that..")

I also agree with the "Use factory mags" line. They work perfectly well, right out of the box. Don't mess with them, they'll do what they are supposed to right off the bat.

I've experienced great reliability from the factory mags. I do have a couple el cheapo knock offs( they actually do run good, but I won't carry them or use them at a match) that I use for reload practice.5.99 a piece from cdnn. I've used the Dawson basepads and springs with the factory follower to add capacity for limited, no problem there either. My complete lack of gunsmithing skills and money makes me really enjoy Glocks :)

Just when posts are starting to show up saying tuning STI mags is a waste of time one shows up talking about tuning Glock mags!:roflol:

For the record there is a lot of difference between tuning and maintaining a mag.

for production, I agree stick with stock and change followers/springs only as needed if there is a problem and just use the factory parts(maby the wolff springs). For limited, I just add a dawson base pad and modify the follower if its a #8 it gets the bevel. If its a #6 it works just fine as is in my mags.

I changed out the mag springs for the +10% springs. I have noticed ZERO difference in how fast they drop. I now just keep the extra springs in case I or someone else needs one during a match. At the 2010 Area 5 Championship one guy on our squad took his mag apart for a quick inspection and found that it cracked in half. Weird. On the next stage the same exact thing happened to another of his mag springs. Really weird. Anyways, factory is good.

Never had a problem with Glock factory mags. Replace your springs at the end of the season.

I just replace the mags every couple of years -- they're cheap, and by the time they need springs, the bodies are usually scraped up, the mag catch notch is showing some wear, the feed lips may need attention....

It's just simpler for me....

I just replace the mags every couple of years -- they're cheap, and by the time they need springs, the bodies are usually scraped up, the mag catch notch is showing some wear, the feed lips may need attention....

It's just simpler for me....

+1 Simple is good.

Use the Factory mags. I never had a problem with them, I change the mag springs once a year with the wolff spring for cheep insurance.

I dont even clean them when the hit the ground, just wipe them off on my pants and reload.