Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian framed open blasters

BigDave

Why don't more people build Caspian framed Open (or Limited while we're at it) blasters? Everyone I've heard who shoots one just raves about them, but almost every *new* gun you see is S_I based. Is it a magazine issue?

Yep.

Caspian won't sell replacement bag bodies, so when the mags start crapping out, they go in the garbage and you get to either look for someone selling mags or try to sell a gun with NO mags.

I think most see it as a poor investment, long-term. (That's providing you can find magazines to begin with....)

The mag & grip internal dimensions were optimized for 38 Super and larger caliber rounds do not completely "double stack", causing you to lose rounds. It is similar to an EAA/P9. They hold fewer rounds in any caliber larger than 9mm/38.

What Leo said.

The Para and STI-SV use grooves in the sides of a 45cal doublestack mag, to get narrower for other cartridges. A deep groove on one side, shallow on the other to get down to the best stacking for 40cal. A deep groove on both sides to get down to the stacking angle for 38super/supercomp.

The Caspian mag with no groove is the same (narrow) width inside as the Para and the STI with deep grooves. Same capacity, 27+1 with normal followers. My Caspian big stick is my most reliable mag. No, it's not for sale.

And yes, the mags are hard to find, and the metal is not as thick, not as strong as STI-SV. Build a gun around SV mags, is always my advice.

Guest Larry Cazes

Caspian, I agree. My SV tubes are a work of art. Best made mags I've ever seen. Highly polished thick Stainless without a single seam that hasn't been completely polished out smooth. MMMMMM Good! :D

I've shot a few of the SXI guns, and with minor loads they feel like my Caspian with major loads. Shooting major loads out of the SxI guns always gives me more shimmy in the dot than I want.

It's not that they are not technically flat or soft, it's just that the dot dances more wildly than my boat- anchor -rock- solid- Caspian.

Yes, the mags are a problem to find. But many people seem to have old caspian guns that they don't think are competitive anymore.

I tell everyone who asks about the Caspians: be sure you really want one, then horde mags!

SA

For me it is simple. The magazines SUCK!!!

gee, thats funny, I've seen more sti's with mag problems, than any other gun. may be you guys got too many choices of parts, arrendando, dawson, grams etc.

with the caspian you got 2, caspian and EGW.

I love my caspians, thins walled mags and all.

I am always amused by the STI/SVI guys talking about adding weight to their guns, tungsten guide rods, mag wells. think of all the money they would have saved by starting with a heavy gun to begin with.

The mag & grip internal dimensions were optimized for 38 Super and larger caliber rounds do not completely "double stack", causing you to lose rounds. It is similar to an EAA/P9. They hold fewer rounds in any caliber larger than 9mm/38.

That's really only true of the .45. My Caspian .40 got 20 + 1 and my STI .40 gets 20 + 1. My Caspian Open got max 29 +1 and my SV gets the same. The painful part is indeed the mags. Got to know how to get the Craig mags to work to get the most out of these guns.

I sold my Caspian because the only place to get parts mostly is from Caspian. Every time I did, they'd screw up my order and at times screw me as well. Not only is STI way easier to get parts from, but I have other options as well.

Steve,

I have a buddy that started out shooting a Para Open gun and did not feel comfortable with the weight/feel of the standard STI/SV Open guns. We built him an SV Open gun using the Long wide dustcover frame and it felt perfect to him.

Bucky,

You are the first, that I know of, to get 20 + 1 in stock/legal Caspian .40 cal mags. I hear most complain that they get around 17.

Leo

Fortunately, I have never had any problems with orders from Caspian. Also I have the craig mags that get 20+1 in .40.

Bucky, How did you get 29 in the 170 mag. I have craig welded 170 that I can only get 27 in currently.

Thanks

Alan

[thread drift on]

Alan - how did you get your Caspian reliable with 9x19 cases & ammo? What is your bullet and what is your overall length? Spacers in the mags - yes or no? I want a new top end soon...

[thread drift off]

Have to agree with Steve that every STI/SV I've shot stings the hand a lot more and the dot goes kinda hyperspace for a moment until it comes back into clear view. The Caspian doesn't do this, maybe because of weight and how nice & smooth the back of the grip is, esp around the grip safety. And no frame flexing.

PS - Shooting Leo's SV 9x25 is just like that "falling off a cliff" nightmare - your whole body tenses up at once as you wake up startled & confused. :o

Funny 9x25 analogy... I still remember the time a local guy took the beep for a one string classifier with a 9x25 and without his ears!!! He looked shell shocked!!!

Other thread drift:

Does anyone have a web addy for Craig? He made gorgeous guns and seemed to be both Caspian-phile and a part of the AH cartel but no website?????

Also has anyone had those 20 round Caspian mags on a gauge? I remember reading the drama that ensued at the Nats a few years ago over Craig Mags.

thanks....

Caspian28r

Still working through the 9x19, headed to the range tommorrow to try the latest changes.

I am currently testing loads in the OAL of 1.140, and ~1.150. believe it or not the gun actually runs fine with the WalMart value packs.

I had an issue that felt like spring bind just before the slide had competed it's rearword movement. This appears to be guiderod related.

I am using Zero 125 JHP. no spacers in the mags.

My previous open gun was a .40S&W that I always loaded to 1.132 and that thing ran like a one armed paper hanger.

One side note and this one will receive a ton of flack but I have never used an integral ramped barrel in any of my guns. I always have gone with the standard cut.

Alan

Here it is (or was) my Caspian .40 with 6 20 round magazines. As far as the gauge, forget the gauge the original ones with Grams base pads ACTUALLY are REAL 140mm mags ... meaining plenty of room in the gauge. The Dawson base pad models aren't a true 140, but clear the mag gauge fine:

casp2.jpg

I sold the gun and mags (I think there was a 7th 20 rounder as well) to Area 8 directory George Jones.

Fortunately, I have never had any problems with orders from Caspian. Also I have the craig mags that get 20+1 in .40.

Bucky, How did you get 29 in the 170 mag. I have craig welded 170 that I can only get 27 in currently.

Thanks

Alan

Check out this thread. It only works with rimless (super comp, TJ) brass.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=8920&hl=dawson

I have heard that EAA mags can be modified to work in the Caspian frame-

anyone know about this and what is done?

Jim anglin

not with a accu railed one, I tried it, and being ham fisted and short sighted, I broke one of the rails, trying to get the mag to fit.

When I had Wayne Berquist build my Caspian framed open gun years ago I talked with him about magazines. He mentioned he was building Caspian wide body limited guns in 45 ACP and mentioned using EAA mags. Don't remember what he had to do to them to get them to work?

Neal in AZ

I saw a gun that was modified to take a magazine I believe to be an EAA mag. The bottom of the frame was cut on an angle to accept the angled mag, which sits higher in the front. The gun didn't feel as good as one that hadn't been cut. Not an exceptable mod, IMO.