Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Corn Cob media

sgrc1

I searched the forum and couldnt find it, I need instructions on how to clean the Corn Cob media, I remember I purchased Lyman media and have been cleaining my brass for over 8 months, I think its time to clean it.

I appreciate some help on how to do this.

Thanks

Welllllll....you can't really clean it. You can recharge the polish on it but it doesn't really clean it. 8 months eh? Wow. I never got that kind of life out of Lyman media. ;)

There are multiple threads here about media alternatives. Reptile bedding, sand blasting supplies, etc.

Actually you can kinda clean it. Take a woman's calf high nylon and pour some of your corn cob media into it. Now take some liquid dish washing liquid (I use stuff with lemon in it....seems to cut dirt better) and squirt some over the nylon and work it in....wash it...then rinse it out...repeat about 5 times until the "rinse cycle" looks somewhat clean. Spread out the corn cob on a tray (I use an old cookie sheet) and let it dry in the sun.

You can also try adding 1/2 of a dryer sheet (your choice of scent ;) ) Just put it in with the brass while it's tumbling and you'll be amazed at all the crud it grabs.

Steve, you need to spend less money on women's lingerie and buy some new media. :lol:

Steve, you need to spend less money on women's lingerie and buy some new media. :lol:

I'm an engineer damn it! Its part of our creedo to figure out stuff like this.....did I ever tell you how I made a radio out of two coconut shells and a coat hanger? ;)

I agree Corn cob is extremely inexpensive in the US, its just that its not easily available where I am at, but I will look at creating my own (i.e rice) or trying to clean with one of the suggested tips on this link.

Thanks

You may also be able to extend the life of your media with brass polish or other abrasives. I've used automotive buffing compound with some success. Another polish to try is PineOla (if you can get it in SA). The PineOla seems to last longer than the Dillon stuff for some reason, and costs less.

Rice is amazingly effective and should be readily available as it's a staple food everywhere.

I agree Corn cob is extremely inexpensive in the US, its just that its not easily available where I am at, but I will look at creating my own (i.e rice) or trying to clean with one of the suggested tips on this link.

Thanks

I did not belive it till I tried it but the rice works well. Not as good as walnut or corn cob IMHO but if it is cheaper where you are at, go for it.

Actually you can kinda clean it. Take a woman's calf high nylon and pour some of your corn cob media into it. Now take some liquid dish washing liquid (I use stuff with lemon in it....seems to cut dirt better) and squirt some over the nylon and work it in....wash it...then rinse it out...repeat about 5 times until the "rinse cycle" looks somewhat clean. Spread out the corn cob on a tray (I use an old cookie sheet) and let it dry in the sun.

You have got to be kidding me right? ROTFLMAO :lol::lol::lol:

Jason,

I have used white rice (the cracked one, normally used to feed dogs or other pets) with good results.

The very same method was first introduced to this forum by our French mates Jerome and Julien.

The great advantage is that it's cheap and you can replace it as often as you wish.

The only drawback is that for the first couple of times, it leaves a light white layer of "dust" on brass, that can easily be wiped out with a cloth.

Lynn,

no, I have never used any liquid cleaner/polish in cleaning media or rice.

I have used for some 3 years rice and was quite happy with that, but since I like brass in shiny new conditions, I found out the most effective media is Lyman brown stuff (guess it's what they call "Rouge Bearing Nutshell").

And I won't tell you how many hours I let'em tumble, after having read on these forums most people tumble brass for 30 mins... :ph34r:

Why replace it? I have been doing some corn media torture testing. So far I have tumbled about 10,000 cases at 8 hours per tumble, and they are still coming out looking better than new brass inside and out. The media is basically black but it is still working. I usually put a capful of dillon polish in with each batch. I know 8 hours is excessive but you should see my shiny brass, I can tell if empties are mine before bending over to pick them up.

Washing corn cob? Been there, done that. Used it until it was so grubby you didn't want to touch it? Done that too. Got so tired of the hassle I got together with three other shooters and we bought enough corn cob to bring the price down to cheaper than dirt at a feed store. 500 pounds of the stuff, at some ridiculous price of five bucks a 50 pound sack.

Getting it home was tough, storing it was tougher. But I never wanted to clean media again, nor use "black swamp s**t" as a tumbling media.

Remember, volume is king. Whatever you can get your hands on that works, buy a lot of it. The unit price tumbles as a result.