Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atkin's Diet

Dan Hefta

Hello to all,

I just started the Atkin's diet yesterday and have a long way to go but thought I would share my experience with you. I have stuggled with weight my entire life and am a big framed guy. I like being big but enough is enough.

I am 45 years old, 6-2 and 300lbs. I want to get to 250-260lbs. When I was in the Army I weighted 240lbs, so I have never been small.

This will be the first "real diet" that I have ever really been on. For the first time in my life I actually am looking at the ingredients of the foods that I am eating. I will keep you updated on my progress.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest getting a %body fat measurement at the start of your course. It may also be advantageous to get a cholesterol/blood-sugar/glucose reading as well. Keeping track of those will give you a better indicator of your progress than just a raw weight measurement.

Edited by BritinUSA

For some people the Atkins Diet is the only way they can actually lose weight. I'm one of them. I can faithfully stick to a 1200 calorie diet and gain weight.

The hard part is lack of variety compared with the foods you've been eating the last 40 years. But I actually enjoy a good steak, some nicely prepared seafood, and a lot of other things "allowed" on the diet.

I first tried the diet back in the mid-70's. Due to a lack of low carb foods in the markets back then, it was a bit tougher to follow. Now the supermarket is filled with items that can spice up your meals. Also the "definition" of "bad" carbs has changed somewhat. The high fiber carbs are now not considered as harmful as the other carbs.

The good news, along with weight loss, you will see your energy levels rise and glucose levels stabilize. The often-heard concern is cholesterol levels will start climbing. In my case, with the increased energy levels I got a lot more active. That seemed to keep the bad cholesterol levels from climbing but did allow the good cholesterol levels to climb.

I really need to get back on the diet. If I could just get the spouse back on board (I hate to cook so I eat what she prepares) and keep the grandsons from shoving chocolate in my face, I might stand a chance. <_<

Good luck.

Bill

I am 45 years old, 6-2 and 300lbs. I want to get to 250-260lbs. When I was in the Army I weighted 240lbs, so I have never been small.

I'm 40, 6'4", and I was 330. I started Jan 1st on low calorie diet ( 2300-2500 cals/day ). Started hitting the gym, need to start hitting it some more. Anyway, down 13 pounds so far, goal is 275 by my birthday, June 18. After that, the ambitious goal would be another 25-50 pounds by Dec 31st.

So I know exactly what you are going through. Good Luck! Stick with it. Guys like us need to lose any weight we can, and keep it off.

Hi all,

I have been dedicated to not eating carbs for a week now and so far I have lost 10 lbs. I feel great and my energy level has increased... I feel like I am 30 again... 1 or 2 more weeks and then I will start adding some carbs to my diet... I love this diet, I never feel hungry or weak. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

The Atkins diet is kind of broken. Sticking to it is hard, sticking to it long term is nearly impossible. Pushing yourself into keytosis is not necessary either.

The guy was right about the basic science behind it, but turned it up to 11.

For those having trouble sticking to it, google for "low glycemic load diet." It's the net result of what atkins started with regards to applying actual science to diet. It also explains why one can eat 1200 calories a day and still be fat. A calorie isn't a calorie, kind of like the 20th tablespoon of water dumped into a container that only holds 19 tablespoons of water isn't the same as the first. Despite being essentially the same.

I've been following a simplified glycemic load diet (instead of a detailed glycemic load diet) for almost a year. I haven't been hungry, feel better, lost 75lbs, dropped my cholesterol 30 points, triglycerides by 200 points, brought my fasting blood sugar and a1c into line, and lowered my blood pressure to boot.

If I had the time and patience to be be more aggressive about the diet and add the recommended exercise to it, I'd probably be much better off.

It's been about 2.5 weeks now since I started this low carbs diet... I am not really calling it "Atkin's" any more, I have been eating a lot of salads and that is on the no no list. I have lost 12 lbs so far and feel great, I have been lifting wieghts so I feel that I am turning some of the fat into muscle. I think that the way I am cutting most of my carbs and not all of them will work for me long term. Before I started this I was a carbohaulic, pasta, rice, lots of bread, icecream, pizza and none of this in small portions. If there is one thing that I will come away from this experience it is... think about what you are putting into your body before you even buy it. I am looking at labels for the first time in my life and it feels good. :cheers: Is it hard to come up with meals to eat? Hell yes it is... but I think that it the whole point, you really need to think about it first. Dan

I dropped 45 pounds last year. No sugar and no flour will serve you well. Portion size was the big deal for me. I had to learn that I cannot eat the same portions as I did when I was 18.

Hard to not eat sugar or flour as a chef, too... :)

Be sure to visit your doctor and talk to him/her about this. You need to get regular checkups and have your glucose, lipid profiles, and liver enzyles checked. Some people do well on this diet and some even see their cholesterol go down as a result, but some see their glucose and triglycerides go up. And liver problems can also develop. Also, be sure you are getting plenty of fiber, all that meat and fat can wreak havoc with your intestines.

Every time I try to go strictly on this diet I get sick, again last week, bad. I have to find another way. I'm down 50 pounds in 13 months, but I have no energy and no muscles.

A couple of things to consider - are you actually eating enough? And, if I recall enough about Atkins, you can add in carbs (in the form of green, leafy veg, and such) after the first month? That should help with the fiber angle...

I did the Atkins diet a few years ago and lost 45 pounds. However, you can only eat that

way for a while and then you got to eat regular again and when I did the pounds came back.

I fought it for some time and tried Atkins again, but something was missing from my diet

and in the end I lost the battle.

Last July I did my own thing by eating normal foods, but cutting the portions and also

cutting out concentrated sugars. By Sept I had lost 37 pounds and have kept the weight

off. Once in a while I have ice cream or pie, etc, but only once in a while. Its been

easy to keep the weight down, by eating smaller portions and eating 5-6 times a day.

I get as much exercise as I can (I'm 61), mainly walking and light weight lifting. My

blood work is also great; my doctor was impressed.

Portion control and cutting out the crap was the key for me. In October 2009 I weighed 230 pounds in all my glory. As of mid summer 2010 I was down to 180, where I've stayed for the past 6 months plus or minus 5 pounds. I'd like to get to around 165ish, but I'm happy where I am for now. I feel great, and my BP and resting HR has dropped dramatically. I have more energy and the best part is I don't sweat when it's 70 degrees outside anymore. :cheers:

and

Stick with it brother, it's definitely worth it in the long run. I still smile when my friends and family ask if I've lost weight :D

Edited by KyroWebs

Portion control and cutting out the crap was the key for me. In October 2009 I weighed 230 pounds in all my glory. As of mid summer 2010 I was down to 180, where I've stayed for the past 6 months plus or minus 5 pounds. I'd like to get to around 165ish, but I'm happy where I am for now. I feel great, and my BP and resting HR has dropped dramatically. I have more energy and the best part is I don't sweat when it's 70 degrees outside anymore. :cheers:

and

Stick with it brother, it's definitely worth it in the long run. I still smile when my friends and family ask if I've lost weight :D

WOW. :cheers:

I wonder if the fact that I don't have a gallbladder anymore has an effect on this diet.

Very possible. After my daughter had her gall bladder removed she was unable to do the Atkin's diet. The doctor gave her a laundry list of foods that may not set well with her. Almost any foods with "animal protein" cause problems. It seems to be anything with fats in it.

Milk, cheese, beef are taboo. She can handle a little lean turkey or chicken, but the majority of her diet consists of complex carbs like pasta. The rare time that she has a hamburger, its a case where she gets a very lean steak, trims off as much fat as possible, and grind it herself.

The doctor advised her when she had the gall bladder removed she might have problems with her diet but also indicated she might not see the problem for a few years. In her case, it was from day one.

Bill

I wonder if the fact that I don't have a gallbladder anymore has an effect on this diet.

Very possible. After my daughter had her gall bladder removed she was unable to do the Atkin's diet. The doctor gave her a laundry list of foods that may not set well with her. Almost any foods with "animal protein" cause problems. It seems to be anything with fats in it.

Milk, cheese, beef are taboo. She can handle a little lean turkey or chicken, but the majority of her diet consists of complex carbs like pasta. The rare time that she has a hamburger, its a case where she gets a very lean steak, trims off as much fat as possible, and grind it herself.

The doctor advised her when she had the gall bladder removed she might have problems with her diet but also indicated she might not see the problem for a few years. In her case, it was from day one.

Bill

I had my gall bladder out some years ago when I was 185-190 pounds and I didn't change my eating habits at all. I ate ice cream, red meat, what ever and never had an issue. Granted we buy the leanest meat at the market but all the other fatty foods I ate didn't make a difference.

Just before I turned 46 (18 months ago) I got tired of having a "muffin top", being tired all the time and being 190 at 5'-11". I stopped drinking sugared soda (I liked the stuff and drank about 2 liters a day), started exercising 20 minutes a day, cut out the snacks especially after dinner. I got down to 155 in about 3 months (my family thought I had cancer or something because the change was fast and dramatic). I've stabalized at 160 and have been at that weight for the past year. I still eat pizza nearly every Friday and have a drink or 2 a week but I've stayed off of the snacks. My exercize for the past 8-10 months is down to a few simple ones per day, 50 push-ups, 2 sets of 10 pull-ups and then 2 miles a week on the tread mill. I feel pretty good for 47.