Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell Weights - My gun needs a diet!

whatsupglock

The Smith & Alexander magwell weighs 2.9 ounces which puts my 9mm STI Trojan at 43.3 ounces with empty cobra mag. Too heavy. I've ordered the Wilson Combat "slip on" well for a temporary fix, unless the thing works really well and I decide to keep it on the gun. I'd really like to be at 42.5 ounces total weight with mag. So I need a magwell that's about 2 to 2.25 ounces. Does such a thing exist. I'm pretty sure the techwell will work, but I'm not sure that's what I want to go with.

Here's what I need some help with. I need weights for the available magwells that will fit my 1911. Wilson Combat Speed Chute, Ed Brown Maxiwell etc...

If you can post the weight and what kind of scale it was weighed on, and the reliablity of the measurement on that scale, it would be a great resource.

Smith & Alexander magwell = 2.9 ounces. Weighed on a 10 lbs digital scale. 100 Grain check weight weighed on my reloading scale also measured same equivalent in grams/ounces on the 10 lbs scale. I am confident in this measurement.

I have an STI sentry with a FLGR, G10 grips, ambi safety, and the DP Ice magwell and it weighs in at 42.5 oz on a postal scale. I use the stock magazine that came with the STI because it seems to be slightly ligher than the Tripps.

The dawson ice seems pretty light weight. The shell is hogged-out aluminum and then there's the delrin insert so the whole thing's pretty light. The mainspring housing is the normal steel so that won't change from what you have already. I don't know the exact weight of the ice, though.

What you'll find is any of the one piece magwells will weigh quite a bit as they are steel, unless you get the aluminum ones. The ones we run are typically aluminum. I run a plastic MSH and aluminum guide rod and that cuts down on a lot of weight right there.

Maybe a delrin plastic guide rod? Is milling holes or slots in the magwell itself legal? Seems the techwell or Al ice can lose plenty weight without weakening them. What does the Plastic SV SS well weigh? Love the idea of a plastic MSH on a SS.

A GI guide rod would not be my method of losing weight on a pistol that you're going to put a lot of rounds through, like something you'd shoot in competition.

Why? The original version was the "GI" short rod. I have .45's, .40's and 9mm with thousands of rounds each with the standard short guide rod without any problems.

A GI guide rod would not be my method of losing weight on a pistol that you're going to put a lot of rounds through, like something you'd shoot in competition.

Why? The original version was the "GI" short rod. I have .45's, .40's and 9mm with thousands of rounds each with the standard short guide rod without any problems.

+1. I replaced the FLGR in my Trojan for a short guide rod in order to make weight and haven't had the first problem with it. I've only put about three thousand rounds through it since the conversion, but I can't see much difference one way or the other.

Looking at the magwell may not be the way to loose the weight. What type of grip panels do you have? Does your frame have a full cut out under the grip panels? Barrel can be fluted, under cut the trigger guard, re contour the grip safety, lighten the main spring housing, and then there is the slide that can loose some weight.

Just a thought or two.

Rich

Because it will inevitably decrease recoil spring life, and thus long-term reliability with the round counts we shoot.

There are a few good spots to steal some weight on a 1911 easily.. most have been covered.

Grip Panels- Micarta/ G10 panels are heavy. Around 2oz. A plastic set weighs less than an oz.

GI Guide Rod - The FLGR is a fix for a problem that doesn't exist. It'll save you an oz as well. My was DEAD reliable with a GI guide rod and would choke with one. Zillions of rounds through that gun....

Milling more pocked out of the frame under the grip panels (not as much as you'd hope, but its there)

in order to get my Nighthawk to make weight in CDP, I replaced the FLGR with an aluminum FLGR, I also replaced the Alumagrips with the Ergo (hard rubber) grips. That brought it under the weight limit for CDP. I think the aluminum guide rod replacing the steel guide rod lost about .8 of an ounce. picked it up from Briley.

Because it will inevitably decrease recoil spring life, and thus long-term reliability with the round counts we shoot.

Darnit! I expect my 27,000+ rounds-fired Premier II with the GI rod will fail any time now.

(sorry, Tim - just raggin' on this old wives tale a bit) ;)

Sincerely, if a full-length guide rod gives someone more confidence in their equipment, that's a huge advantage and more than worth the price of admission.

Set it up how you like, and shoot the barrel smooth.

I have a Wilson frame and Caspian upper. I use Brown MSH with a detachable magwell. A full lenght guide steel guide rod. My grips are sanded wood with skate tape. I am always under the weight limit. In fact, I suspect I can use the medium weight Wilson Tungsten guide rod and still be under weight.

Remember some rubber and plastic grips have metal in them. More than one person went to Open with rubber grips. Use light weight wood with skate tape instead if you want to lose weight.

Where is G-man when you need him. He runs a Trojan and always makes weight.

Edited by pjb45

My new Wilson Combat slip on well is on the gun now. It weighs 0.8 ounces to the 2.9 ounces of the Smith and Alexander one piece. The S&A is handier, but the Wilson will do the job just fine. It fits very tight. I was a little concerned about the thing slipping back on the frame, but there is no way. I had to tap the thing on with a malet, and to get it off I have to use a punch and malet.

I have to say, overall I'm very impressed with this mag well. My gun went from 43.3 ounces to 41.8 with empty mag.