Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S.O. interference?

Ahab

So, here's an interesting question I'm kicking around. Obviously, anyone that's taken the SO class knows that an SO doesn't have to TOUCH a shooter to interfere with them, but this came up in a discussion the other day. Say you're a non-smoker, and your S.O. is smoking WHILE he runs you through the course of fire. Some people are very sensitive to cigarette and cigar smoke. I'm a semi-reformed smoker, so I wouldn't necessarily consider it interference. However, I do think that if your SO is smoking, the shooter is well within their rights to request that the SO put their cig out before running the course of fire.

Thoughts?

Never ran into an SO that was smoking while SOing. That being said- if a shooter is willing to breathe the crap the comes out of his gun... a little 2nd hand smoke from a cigar or cigarette isn't a big deal IMO. FWIW I don't smoke either and don't care for them. Nonissue- no way SO interference.

I am a smoker and and s o. I have never run a shooter while smoking in 5 years . I am not even sure how it can be properly done. 1 hand timer ,1 hand for procedurals or director shooter in safety situations and mouth to give commands . just my 2 cents

I am a smoker and and s o. I have never run a shooter while smoking in 5 years . I am not even sure how it can be properly done. 1 hand timer ,1 hand for procedurals or director shooter in safety situations and mouth to give commands . just my 2 cents

I had an IDPA SO run me while smoking a cigarette, holding the timer and eating a hotdog. It can be done. <_<

Never ran into an SO that was smoking while SOing. That being said- if a shooter is willing to breathe the crap the comes out of his gun... a little 2nd hand smoke from a cigar or cigarette isn't a big deal IMO. FWIW I don't smoke either and don't care for them. Nonissue- no way SO interference.

Personally I prefer the smell of the crap coming from my barrel over cigarette/cigarette smoke. :D

So, here's an interesting question I'm kicking around. Obviously, anyone that's taken the SO class knows that an SO doesn't have to TOUCH a shooter to interfere with them, but this came up in a discussion the other day. Say you're a non-smoker, and your S.O. is smoking WHILE he runs you through the course of fire. Some people are very sensitive to cigarette and cigar smoke. I'm a semi-reformed smoker, so I wouldn't necessarily consider it interference. However, I do think that if your SO is smoking, the shooter is well within their rights to request that the SO put their cig out before running the course of fire.

Thoughts?

What if the shooter is smoking and it bothers the SO?

View Post1911vm, on 08 February 2011 - 04:36 PM, said:

I had an IDPA SO run me while smoking a cigarette, holding the timer and eating a hotdog. It can be done.

Sure it can be done but it's not healthy for you to do so. I can't imagine what his Blood Lead Level (BLL) is or if he/she's ever had it tested. Smoking and eating on the range or doing so prior to washing your hands after shooting is asking for health risks.

Take a break and have another SO step in for you for ten minutes, wash, grab a bite and puff away then come back (wash hands before you come back so you don't stink up my timer or score cards)

I had an IDPA SO run me while smoking a cigarette, holding the timer and eating a hotdog. It can be done. <_<

sweet, you've been to Arkansas :)

Edited by CDPMatt

I dont think it would be SO interference, as I wouldnt even make ready or even get into the shooting area if a SO walked up to me smoking, I am simply not willing to tolerate some one else's smoke, shooter, spectator or anyone else. If It was up to me smoking would fall under the same category as drinking and not allowed in public.

Edited by Joe4d

This should really be a non-issue. If the smoke bothers you as a shooter, ask that it be put out, or get moved down in the shooting order, but do something BEFORE you shoot. If you have a bad run, don't blame the smoke.

This should really be a non-issue. If the smoke bothers you as a shooter, ask that it be put out, or get moved down in the shooting order, but do something BEFORE you shoot. If you have a bad run, don't blame the smoke.

+1! Blame yourself for not taking care of the problem.

Pat