Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 acp recipe sanity check

JasonS

Getting ready to due a caliber swap in the 650 and load some 45 acp up for the first time. Anyway, I've been researching through the forum for some recipes using MG 230 gr CMJ's and from that research I think I've found what look like some good/popular 45 acp recipes. (Good because I have those powders and primers already.)

4.0 gr (plain) Clays to 1.25 OAL with WLP

4.3 gr Titegroup to 1.25 OAL with WLP

I'm hoping someone can sanity check these two recipes before I load them up. Also there seems to be some debate, as to which powder burns cleaner, but heck I'll try them both and see for myself.

I've also got some N320 and Universal sitting around, but those seem less popular (or atleast less used) for .45. However I would be interested if anyone has an opinion/recipe for N320 for .45 since I have a bunch that I use for 9mm.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Getting ready to due a caliber swap in the 650 and load some 45 acp up for the first time. Anyway, I've been researching through the forum for some recipes using MG 230 gr CMJ's and from that research I think I've found what look like some good/popular 45 acp recipes. (Good because I have those powders and primers already.)

4.0 gr (plain) Clays to 1.25 OAL with WLP

4.3 gr Titegroup to 1.25 OAL with WLP

I'm hoping someone can sanity check these two recipes before I load them up. Also there seems to be some debate, as to which powder burns cleaner, but heck I'll try them both and see for myself.

I've also got some N320 and Universal sitting around, but those seem less popular (or atleast less used) for .45. However I would be interested if anyone has an opinion/recipe for N320 for .45 since I have a bunch that I use for 9mm.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Those loads look fine. The Titegroup load will have slightly more felt recoil than the Clays load, but, the Titegroup load won't be temperature sensitive, compared to the Clays load.

Even though it costs a little more to load, I don't think you could do any better than 320. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but, if you search this forum, you'll find it.

Yeah, I expect you're right, but I wanted to start low.

Function checked the Clay's load today, and its a nice soft shooting round, and they cycled well in my TRP Operator. I also didn't have any smoke problems with it, using CMJ's.

I'll chrono them tomorrow, and see if I'm short of Major.

Thanks for the advice,

Jason

I am sure you all know better than I do, but:

1) What happened to starting low and working up to find the load

and

2) My records indicate that 4.0-4.2 Clays is a maximum load.

I did. Years ago. I have not touched the powder adjustment on my 650 head for clays/45 in about 5 years. I weigh a couple every time I start to batch load a couple thousand.

You didn't mention if you need to make PF or just want a functional target shooting load. At that OAL, depending on the gun, 4gr Clays may be just under major...but 4gr is also what Hodgdon publishes as max load. Lots of people go over 4gr...but you could also shorten the OAL to more like 1.220-1.230 if that feeds in your gun.

4.0 grains is max with a hornady fmj fp loaded to 1.200" loading a regular round nose fmj at 1.250+ oal and you will see that you can push it a little harder

i dont sweat it even if it is slightly more than standard pressure 45 acp ammo. I shoot a glock and it will take +p pressure all day long....

I don't "need" to make major, as I'm not competing with any .45's. (Though I may decide to someday, so I'd rather practice with the right load now, rather than adjust to it later.)

I can say, that 4.0 grains of clays, under a 230gr MG CMJ loaded to 1.250 is very soft shooting, and almost no smoke. In my TRP Operator it felt almost like a 9mm, when compared to .45 UMC production ammo. The only downside I've seen so far is that in my 650 Clays doesn't seem to meter as well as N320. Not horrible, but definately a noticable variation increase from the VV powder.

(I didn't get a chance to go to the range and chrono that load today, as I had hoped, but based upon felt recoil I doubt that recipe is too much of hot a load.)

I'll post some "real" data when I can get some range time with my chrono. I'd also be interested if anyone has a N320 recipe, to compare the Clays load against, if anyone loads that.

Thanks,

Jason

So I took that load to the range today with my chrono.

Just to recap: 230 gr MG CMJ / 4.0 gr of Clays / WLP / 1.250

Shot out of a TRP Operator.

Max: 649.4 FPS / 149.34 PF

Min: 620.5 FPS / 142.71 PF

25 Round Average: 636.66 PFS / 146.43 PF

So I'm well short of major. Unfortunately, I only had the one powder load with me today.

Jason

• 2 months later...

I use 4.0 - 4.1+ Clays & make major w/ 230 every time.

Was using 3.8 but that was too light & accuracy was off.

...but I just reduced COL to 1.200 + & now having real accuracy problems.

At COL 1.265 it wouldn't feed.

Somebody "out there" give me the "Ultimate COL"???

Edited by stinsonbeach

I found this thread will reading up on clay loads for .45 I'm thinking of switching powder from titegroup to clay but was trying to find pet loads that make major with 200 gr swc, but most seen to post on 230's. Can someone chime in on 200's will 4.0 make the cut? I don't own a chrony so figuring power factors is a hope and pray for me.

Thanks

I found this thread will reading up on clay loads for .45 I'm thinking of switching powder from titegroup to clay but was trying to find pet loads that make major with 200 gr swc, but most seen to post on 230's. Can someone chime in on 200's will 4.0 make the cut? I don't own a chrony so figuring power factors is a hope and pray for me.

Thanks

I use Clays - a buddy turned me onto it - for everything.

I use 4.0+ for 180 in .40 & make major plus.

4.2+ for 230 .45. & make major...of course I just remembered I'm using 6" in both! Don't forget that.

Use that info for whatever you can.

I don't need that much in .45 but my gun works better & accuracy is better.

Clays is a fast burner so you don't use as much.

I use to load .40's w/ 6+ of HS6 - so simple math gives me a 50% increase in powder!

I just read that over & it's pretty jumbled - but there it is!

Thanks

You really do need to find a chrono. 4.2 Clays and OAL of 1.22 is a very popular load, but in my gun, it takes 4.6 to be confident (171 or so). In another gun, you might make it to Major with 4.0. When you start throwing in variations in OAL (I've seen published from 1.18 to 1.27), it's hard to give a reliable answer.

Ask around at the next match or call your local ranges. You can find someone who'll chrono a few rounds through your gun ad give you a better idea than wild guesswork.

BB

Thanks

You really do need to find a chrono. 4.2 Clays and OAL of 1.22 is a very popular load, but in my gun, it takes 4.6 to be confident (171 or so). In another gun, you might make it to Major with 4.0. When you start throwing in variations in OAL (I've seen published from 1.18 to 1.27), it's hard to give a reliable answer.

Ask around at the next match or call your local ranges. You can find someone who'll chrono a few rounds through your gun ad give you a better idea than wild guesswork.

BB

Have a chrono. & 4.2 gives me major (over 165 is major).

The guys tell me 1.200 but I have shotgun patterns, so I'm trying to get as long as I can.

Will post my final results - when I figure it out!

-j

Different bullets are different lengths, so there isn't likely to be a magic OAL that works well with all combinations. I've loaded PD and Zero 230gr FMJ to mostly the 1.230-1.250" range and not had any accuracy issues. I think you're more likely to have accuracy issues from bad crimp than the "wrong" OAL.