Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Knee pad Recommendations.

When I was younger and active in Junior high sports I was diagnosed with Osgood-schlatter Disease in the left knee joint, basically an overgrowth of bone under the knee cap where the petalor tendon is connected. I'm finding that since I had this in my childhood years I have a real tough time kneeling on my left knee down during shooting off a support position on a low wall. So much to the fact that if I land on it wrong I'm limping for the rest of the day. I've used Knee pads that the army issued me and find that they work O.k. but often shift on me during a sprint causing me to be a bit unbalance when I go knee first into the ground. I was wondering for those who use knee pads, what brand they prefer to use for 3gun.

Edited by DocMedic

who gave you your diagnosis?

and have had your left knee looked at any farther/deeper (MRI for example)?

I am using the black plastic and nylon knee pads from Proflex. You can probably get them from Lowe's or Home Depot.

The trick I have found to keeping the knee pads in place is to criss cross the straps behind the knee.

Your other alternative is to buy those "tactical" pants that have pockets in the knees. You slip a hard plastic shell into that pocket . I think 5.11 makes them.

OSD is actually pretty common for kids between ages of 10 through 15 if they're active in sports. After the bone stop growing and fuse (around age 18) OSD goes away but in rare cases which is unfortunately for me, it can leave a boney overgrowth or "Bump" that you have to deal with your adult life which becomes very sensitive to kneeling or sitting with legs bent for a long period of time. I was diagnosed with OSD when I was in junior high, and since then I've had been seen by 3 Army Doctors (I was trying to see if surgery is a option to remove the boney growth) and been a subject of prodding for my sports medicine and lower extremity classes. It isn't really a true "disease" rather a Overgrowth.

Food for thought: Osgood Schlatter_disease

Edited by DocMedic

I love my Arcteryx knee pads. They are very light and about as comfortable as you could imagine for knee pads (you can comfortably wear them all day long), and will stay in place. They are on the thin side (so don't know whether this is appropriate for your condition) but afford good protection and don't slide around as much as hard caps might.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Accessories/Military-Knee-Caps#Protection

Military-Knee-Caps-Foliage-Green.gif

Edited by esskay

I went with the simple skate board pads that you can find at wal-mart. They weren't too expensive, and work pretty good. Good padding in the back, with a hard plastic shell up front to protect from those rocks and things that stick up. I also have the dreaded knee bump, and it just plain stinks, but that's why God invented knee pads, so he won't have to listen to my whinning.

I do a lot of locksmith type work and am frequently on my knees. I purchased some Skillers pants that have large knee pockets and great high density pads. They work superbly for 3 gun as well. I cannot stand straps behind my knees and regular knee pads shifting.

Go to Lowes or Home depot, there you will find a large selection of Knee pads for flooring and such. You can try them out right there on the floor.

I got some Gel knee pads this way that are made for long term use, and they are a DREAM to kneel on! I couldn't imagine anything being better. Good luck, hope you find something.

They cost a little extra but they are absolutely bombproof secure and offer an incredible amount of cushion.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Drop-Ramp-Skate-Knee/dp/B000EYT0K8

I am 6'3" and run in the 290 neighborhood with a restructured left knee. These literally allow me to go full out without worry of injury.

I love my Arcteryx knee pads. They are very light and about as comfortable as you could imagine for knee pads (you can comfortably wear them all day long), and will stay in place. They are on the thin side (so don't know whether this is appropriate for your condition) but afford good protection and don't slide around as much as hard caps might.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Accessories/Military-Knee-Caps#Protection

Military-Knee-Caps-Foliage-Green.gif

+1 Lightweight, stay in place, forget I even have them on. They are on the thin side but even though I have sensitive knees from years of Skateboarding they give more then enough protection for what we do. They also aren't as bulky and constricting to run in as work or skateboard knee pads.

You could probably get Pro-Design Kneepads to make you a custom pair of their pads if you need more padding. Just tell him you need a more narrow pad so you can run in them. You could drop from 10 feet onto your knees and your knees would be fine with their pads.

Check out your local Lowes or Home Depot. They have good selections for folks who work on their knees all day and you can try them on. Your investment is also not so great that if you find something else later that you feel bad about tossing them.

Because of my trade I have bad knees also. I still have to use them and as my Doc said, "knees were not meant to be walked on"

I use CLC pads for work and shooting. They are usually available at Home depot or on line. The straps are the weak point for daily use so I bought extra.

They are flexible and easy on the knees. I do NOT like hard shell pads. They just don't work for me and I feel unstable on them. The CLC I use come with or without gel inside. Here are a couple pics

Gel

Custom-Leather-Craft-G361-lg.jpg

No Gel

pACE2-990646reg.jpg

I really like the Knee Pro pads - when I first saw someone with them on I thought they looked large and cumbersome but after trying them on I bought a pair.

Have used them many times since and find them to be very comfortable,very protective, non-slip surface and they stay in place. My wife also shoots with them.

You can get them at the following for less than $25. http://www.officerstore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_6134_knee_pro_industries_ultra_flex_iii_tactical_kneepads/

I like the Blackhawk elbow pads.

Because of my trade I have bad knees also. I still have to use them and as my Doc said, "knees were not meant to be walked on"

I use CLC pads for work and shooting. They are usually available at Home depot or on line. The straps are the weak point for daily use so I bought extra.

I got the gel version at Round Gun Shooter's recommendation. The padding lets me just drop on my knees to get into position and shoot. Best of all, they allow me to get back up!

Patella-T is what I use.

Gel filled Pocket

Rubber knee cup

neoprene straps with velcro.

http://www.fluidforms.com/patella_t/orthopedic/nonwedge.html

I have the non-wedge model. They make a wedge model that prevents the knee from rolling.

I probably would have not bought them at the retail price but I got a new pair on ebay years ago and have been happy with them.

May even qualify as a medical expense since they are "orthopedic".

I'll let you try them if I get to PWSC in April.

Only problem with velcro straps is kneeling on carpet scraps if they are used on a stage.

If any "hooks" are exposed, you can drag a piece of carpet with you for a few steps.

I have. Pair of Alta Superflex knee pads I got from Skd Tactical. I have used them for competitive shooting as well as training and they are extremely durable and protective. They stay put under lots of movement but I leave them a little loose because I dont like the straps to dig into my legs so I end up adjusting them from time to time to stay in place.