Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

your best OH S**T moment

target1911

Picture a very cluttered garage. Lots of 1/2 done projects...

Lawnmower blade needs to be sharpened so I pull it off and grab an angle grinder and touch it up. Sparks go everywhere... including that bucket of powder from the misload rounds I had been disassembling. :surprise:

Slow burn, all powder, no primers or loaded rounds involved and a very melted plastic catch bucket. :(

I was about 13 years old, my buddy and I decide to play with gasoline. Out in the street behind my house, we pour a small spot of gas and light it. Cool! So then we pour some gas out in a line about 2 feet long and light it, Really Cool!. So my buddy then has a great idea….”I’ll start pouring the gas, and you light it. We can then pour a longer line”. What did I say? You got it….”OK!” Obviously we didn’t understand the flammable properties of gasoline at the time…but we were about to find out. The first “Oh Sh*t” moment came when the match hit the puddle of gas and the flame took off straight for the can still in my buddy’s hand. The second “Oh sh*t” moment was when he finally reacted to the flame and dropped the can, it rolled across the street, pouring lit gasoline all the way across the road! Thankfully it didn’t set the brush on fire when it got to the other side. It ran out about 2 feet from the edge. But as we were standing there, in shock at what just happened, we are now watching a two foot flame, across the width of a fairly busy road…and we hear a car is coming. Enter “Oh Sh*t” moment #3….so we ran like hell into my backyard and kept on running past the front of the house all the way to his house two blocks away.

Gun related moment: I had been shooting only a few months. Stage was: Draw, pick up a brief case, shoot first couple of targets one handed, drop case in a barrel laying on its side, then continue course of fire. When I dropped the case, I reloaded and continued the stage, when I got to my next reload spot, I reached down to my mag pouches and grabbed a handful of air. “Oh Sh*t” What I didn’t realize, but what everyone watching had seen, was when I flung the case into the barrel, it knocked mags #2, 3, & 4 off of my belt. Since I didn’t feel it, hear it, or see it happen, along with I was able to grab the one mag that hadn’t gotten knocked off, I had no idea. I was now downrange, and completely clueless as to what happened, until I finally hear someone yell “they’re by the barrel!”. Yes it was coaching, but I was newbie, so everyone took pity on me and helped.

When I was 16, I bought several quarter sticks of dynamite from a fireworks vendor whose moral compass was a little off.

I lit one when I got home and it fell, lit, into the bag with the rest of them. It scared the hell out of me.

Back around '96, I was into Schutzhund training ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhund ). I was working with Harley Macomb in Pana, Illinois, and one of his protection dogs, a Black Russian Terrier named Edsel. We were doing a house clearing exercise with me alone inside the house wearing a jute bite sleeve under a sweatshirt. The dog did exactly what he was supposed to do. He found me, I stood perfectly still and he sat at my feet, looked up at me and starting to bark. As long as you remained still, the dog just keeps barking. As soon as you make any movement, the dog nails you. I swept my arm up to my chest and Edsel clamped down on my forearm. The jute sleeve I was wearing was not reinforced so I could feel the pressure of his bite, but no teeth. The "oh shit" moment occurred when Edsel started working his bite down towards my unprotected hand. After feeling the pressure of his bite, I was horrified at the thought of what that would feel like to have his teeth sink into my bare hand. I yelled out to Harley to call him off, and the dog let go.

I'd had some close calls in the past, but this time was particularly freaky because I really got the feeling that dog wanted to draw blood. I haven't worked a dog since.

Picture a very cluttered garage. Lots of 1/2 done projects...

Lawnmower blade needs to be sharpened so I pull it off and grab an angle grinder and touch it up. Sparks go everywhere... including that bucket of powder from the misload rounds I had been disassembling. :surprise:

Slow burn, all powder, no primers or loaded rounds involved and a very melted plastic catch bucket. :(

I think I have seen a couple of gas cans...and a torch...in the garage pics of one of the posters on this thread. Maybe there are fresh stories to come?

Oh...I came home last night to find a candle burning...which my girlfriend had had going from when she took her shower in the morning. surprise.gif

(I can't think of anything that I want to tell on myself about. LOL devil.gif)

Roughly a second after this point.

OhSh1t.jpg

I managed to miss the edge by about a foot. I was about 5'7" at the time so that gives you perspective on the height of the roof.

Many, many, many of my stories involve doing ridiculous things to get girls' attention.

I did jump off the Ocklawaha bridge on ST RD 40 in the Ocala National Forest once, when I was 18 or 19....

Notice the guy fishing on the wooden part of it?

OK you guys got me hooked

I don't remember the bridge being that high , but it was I 35 that crossed Lake Dallas the train tracks run next to it & I dove off. 'Head Firts dive' My shorts were not so thight and my "junk" sifted to my belt line on the way down to the water, when I hit the water my Nutjunk got knocked all the way back in whiplash fashion causing me quite a bit of pain & a very slow swim back to shor

Not one that I can recall easily, though I know it has happened many times.

It's that uncomfortable and highly embarrasing point during an arguement/debate/disagreement etc... that I realise that I'm wrong.

I must mentally block those from memory....

Not one that I can recall easily, though I know it has happened many times.

It's that uncomfortable and highly embarrasing point during an arguement/debate/disagreement etc... that I realise that I'm wrong.

I must mentally block those from memory....

We all do..... :cheers:

I will give ya 2. But only the shooting related stuff, the other ones are not to be spoken of. :ph34r: April of 2010 I arrived at my first Level II match, which I had no idea what a Level II match was. I'm from IL and traveled into Indiana. The match started at 9am sharp and I arrived at 8:30......8:30 ILLINOIS time!!! I hadn't realized that I had traveled that far east into the time change. Needless to say Brent, aka "colt" here on the forums rolls up in his 4 wheeler throws me and my crap onto it and off to the safety area and then speeds me to my squad as they were just about to get done with their first stage. I made it to my squad just in time. I walked up and the R/O said, "Well, you're up." Not exactly my greatest performance that day.

I finish my last stage at the 2010 Indiana Section match. I walk to the safe area and bag my gun and take off my gear after a very long hot day. Feeling more comfortable now I get my stuff nice and organized and finsih the match out with my squad, pasting, setting steel, yada yada yada. When all is said and done I make my way back to the parking area, start the truck up and crank the A/C. I'm cooling off for a minute in the truck about to leave when I remember that my phone is in my bag in the back of the truck. I get out and open my bag and literally say "OH S*&T!!" My phone was there, but my gun bag containing my gun wasn't !!!! Panic mode sets in and as I'm about to sprint back to the last stage, guess who I see?? Yep, I see Brent, aka colt, wandering around the parking area holding my gun bag up with a desperate look on his face calling out "Anyone looking for this." :bow::bow:

Edited by alpha-charlie

Does this qualify as an 'O-S' moment? NYS rifle match about 5 years ago. They were working on the new 300 meter range and the roof was not up yet, in fact the shooting platform was essentially a construction site. Start splash thru a few puddles, grabbing rifle on the way to a 'Roof' from which you would engage the targets. Well the right way would have been to stop, turn and approach the very wet (Did I mention it was a very wet day) rook and go up it straight on, so what did I do? I hit it with my right foot and as it slipped out from under me, I went feet up A$$ down into the mud. HARD. big splash, maintained muzzle control the entire airborne moment racked a round into the AR as I hit the roof, straight on this time, and proceeded to shoot, moving to the next two positions I found mud have been driven completely through my mags rendering my rifle essentially a single shot bolt gun.

Now a real 'O-S' moment occurred at a very hot USPSA L-10 Nationals at PASA one year. I was the squad videographer, So I came off the line, grabbed the camera and started videoing. Got the next stage, did the walk-thru, grabbed the cam and went to work. My turn to shoot, Beep, two steel to DTs a statci, trun and reload to get three sliders and as I am grabbing mags, I am realizing that I had not reloaded, My 'friends' were greatly amused as I tossed three empty mags over my shoulder till I finally got to my last loaded mag. There is a moral to this story, "NEVER, I MEAN NEVER PUT AN EMPTY OR PARTIALLY LOADED MAG BACK ON YOUR BELT"

Any other O-S moments related to shooting or not are merely rumors started by people that are jealous of my extraordinary skills. (that should keep this firmly in the humor section)

:blush: ...... and now for the rest of the story.

Target 1911 experienced my OH SH**T moment first hand, this very morning.

David was getting a pistol from me. We live about 2 1/2 hours apart and decided to meet half way. We both got up early this morning and started driving at about 5:30am. David arrived at our destination first and I shortly thereafter, only to discover that I had LEFT THE DAMN PISTOL AT MY HOUSE !!!!!!!! :blush::blink::wacko:

To make matters worse, my wife had made the drive up with me. A witness to the whole fiasco.

Truly, the most embarrasing moment of my entire life. Thank the Lord, David has a great sense of humor. :bow:

HAHAHA

Nothing like a trip to Hillsboro for breakfast huh?

Reminds me of deer hunting trip in college... Fall semester finals were over...

Made a dash from Huntsville to Houston to get "all" my gear. Then headed to College Station to pick up buddy. We get to the deer camp in Gatesville at some ungodly hour and start una$$ing the camping stuff. i.e. TENT. OH Sh*t!! I forgot to grab the tent poles. Anybody remember mid Dec 1990. Texas got about 4-5 days of high temp in the teens (Yeah I know, but I am from TX) BTW.... The bed of a truck with a deflated tent bungeed over it makes a lousy bed. I get cold thinking about that trip.

Roughly a second after this point.

OhSh1t.jpg

I managed to miss the edge by about a foot. I was about 5'7" at the time so that gives you perspective on the height of the roof.

Many, many, many of my stories involve doing ridiculous things to get girls' attention.

Will, I knew weren't the sharpest tool in the drawer, since you willingly admitted going to MSU, but I never thought you would actually post pix to prove it. :roflol::cheers:

Glad you survived. Life would be dull without you.

Sooooooooo. I had a hunting trip planned. I ask my girlfriend (now ex) to wash my hunting clothes for me. I get to the lease at about 12am....get a nap....get up and get ready for the stand. I put my camo pants on....WTF? ....they were 8" to short....8-/.... put on my long sleeve shirt....REALLY? ......the sleeves were 8" to short. She managed to shrink everything she washed in that load. I guess she really didn't want me to go hunting that weekend. And its a good thing I packed my bag with extra clothes.

She never did my laundry again.

Most memorable moment occurred to me at our monster shoot last August. On a particularly long 60 round stage (remember canadian mags are restricted to 10 rounds.) I lost count of exactly where I was. With only 6 mags in my kit, I had planned and indeed had a fellow ready to reload one of my dropped mags so I could finish the stage with enough rounds.

Well, on the very first load and make ready, the shooter is facing uprange in a doorway hands on x's in doorframe. Then you had to turn and fire through windows, doorways, etc etc.

Well, yours truly made a colossal boo boo. At each mag change, I dropped the mags through the windows.... my reloader could not retrieve them because they were in front of the line of fire!!! DOH! Even worse, on the last window, it took 3 mags to finish the stage... so I shot one out, dropped the empty, loaded another mag, and instantly the gun clicked empty!!!! WTF??? So I grabbed the last mag to finish the second last set of B zones, and had to take my lumps with the low score and failure to engage a whole bank of targets!!!

For those of you who have done this... well, I accidentally thumbed the mag release on my Tanfoglio when regripping after running the gun dry, adding the mag and hitting the slide release, hence only one round went into battery as the full mag dropped out the window!!

HAHAHAHAHA! I was fuming mad, but I can laugh about it now. Too much charged adrenaline, and too many buttons to hit.

Edited by Got Juice?

That's the kind of thing I call "more things to do than braincells available"

Was doing an inventory at the shop one day and found that we had one more sale than Glock 17's actually in hand. Seeing as I am the Master Distributor down here for them and the next shipment was 2 months out, we were screwed, someone was going to be really pissed. Yep turns out it was the boss. I just supplied one customer his gun. Took him until the next shipment arrived to figure it out when he went looking for his gun and the one marked for him had mysteriously changed serial number and was mising the spare mags and holster. I had shipped those to the guy as well, but I did get the money.

• 4 months later...

Son and I going out on the boat after work to do some fishing...pull into the marina disconect the winch strap....son gets on the boat... I back down the ramp, touch the brake... the boat slides gently into the water and my son yells.... "where are the keys...." I yelled back at home on the dresser, throw me a rope quick....

2nd one...boat drifting away from the dock so I yell to my daughter throw me a rope and she does, both ends of it...

most recent one was the second after I realized I broke my hand puching wall out of frustration. The best one was a mountain bike mishap. Got bored waiting for the start of andventure race so i went down the toboggan hill, got some air off a bunny hill and landed right before another bump I didn't see :surprise: got launched again, had to bail from the bike and slamed into a no parking sign. We still took second in the race