Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I buy an SDB as a second press?

melbourne

Hi,

Was thinking about going with a large/small primer setup. I understand the SDB does not support .30 carbine, which I do not reload frequently. I have a RL 550B figured an SDB would be the cheapest way to not have to deal with swapping between large/small primers setups. Should I be looking at other options? I would only be doing small primer pistol on the SDB.

Thanks

I was thinking about doing this same thing! It will be interesting to see what people say when they chime in. I have a 550 and hate changing the primer system. I would most likely set up the SDB for .45 since I shoot a bunch and am always reloading and swap out the 550 between .38Spl, .44Mag, and .40. There's nothing worse than having to re-set up your press at 9:00pm when you're trying to load up for a match or practice the next day. That doubles my time reloading right there.

I say go for it and come back and tell us if it was worth it or not :P

Edited by Erik S.

I don't shoot much .45 so I got a .45 SDB and I leave my 1050 set up for small primers. It works well for a batch of one or two hundred and it is convenient to have it ready to use at any time but it gets a little tedious for any more in a sitting. You'll need to weigh the irritation of changing the 550's primer set up against the volume you'd load on the SDB.

bdpaz is use to loading on a 1050. The SDB is going to be much slower than he is use to. I don't think you will notice much difference if any between the SD and the 550. I use a 550 for .45 and have 3-650s for the other calibers I load. It is slower but no more than I load .45 it is ok.

I have 2 SDB's and a 650. I think for the money that SDB is the best on the market. I have one dedicated to 9mm and once dedicated to .45 acp. You would be surprised at how much ammo you can load with these presses. Don't get me wrong, I like my 650 but am getting ready to switch to a 1050 with a bullet feeder to reduce my tennis elbow believe it or not. I'd tell my wife anything to get her to approve a 1050.

Thanks for the input and info. I'm thinking maybe what I need is another 550 :)

You can load faster on an SDB than you can on a 550, even if Dillon doesn't show that in their info. I've got an SDB, a 1050, and have loaded on 550s and 650s in the past. I can do 100 rounds on an SDB in 9:30 without rushing. If you have six primer tubes loaded, you can do about 600 rounds in an hour on an SDB without too much trouble. The 1050...well, that's a lot faster!

Thanks for the input and info. I'm thinking maybe what I need is another 550 :)

I can do 100 rounds on an SDB in 9:30 without rushing. If you have six primer tubes loaded, you can do about 600 rounds in an hour on an SDB without too much trouble.

Wow, my personal best is 100 rounds in 18 minutes and 250 rounds/hour

with my Square Deal. But, I shoot slowly, too:(( Jack

My average on my SDB for 9MM and 40 is right in the neighborhood of 400-450 per hour, as long as the primer tubes are ready beforehand. My 550 is only slightly faster because I don't have to worry about the shellplate snap like I do on the SDB. Neither of these speeds are by any means "ripping" through the ammo. I find working smoothly is better for me, and plenty fast. I know I could very well top 600 per hour if I NEEDED ammo in a desperate hurry, but my shoulder would turn purple and fall off after the loading session.

Mac

After a month or so of reloading on the SDB, I load around 400 rounds an hour. This is with everything setup and ready to go. I am one of the crazy people who has the time and energy to sit down and knock out a thousand rounds in one sitting. I love that little press but have nothing to compare it to as its my first time reloading.

I have 2 SDBs and a 550. The SDBs are set up one for large primer and and one for small primer. As they currently set one is for 45ACP and the other is for 357MAG. The 550 is my rifle cartridge loading machine. It is currently in 223 Remington mode. I can easily recommend you get the SDB.

Both of the SD's I have are over 20 years old. My brother and I split the $130 for our first one 25 years ago. Now that I have faster machines I don't use them as much but they are still handy for small runs. They are most valuable to me for working up loads at the range. What used to take months now takes hours.

3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

I'll go along with Merlin, two 550 since you already have one. When you purchase other firearms and you will, the 550's will load any caliber you pick out be it rifle or pistol. I load on two 550's and switch calibers often, it only takes a few minutes to switch tool heads and shell plates and be running on another caliber.

Your not stuck with Dillon SDB dies, used the 550 when pulling bullets in 223 with a RCBS bullet puller. That process saved a lot of time and effort. I had my one and only Lee 1000 set up in 223 and sold the press and had to pull the bullets. That was several years back.

I'm a fan of Lee's U die works great in 40 S@W and know a few people that purchased a single stage press to use with a SDB. That adds another expense, added time on another press and larger bench area. The 550 will do it all in one step.

In the rare event that something breaks or needs repair, with two 550's you can rob one to finish the run on the other while parts are coming.

Loading one caliber, pistol only-SDB, load several calibers, rifle and pistol using varied dies-550, can afford more speed-650.

Nothing against the SBD, but you already have the 550, asume you already have the conversion units, die holders, etc. so why go to another press with its own unique accessories. Get anothe 550 press, use one for small primers the other for large. I have mine set for 9mm on one as it is what my wife and I shoot the most, the other I use for batch loading of other calibers including rifle.

I have a 550B which I use mainly for .45acp with the occasional swap to spp for 9mm. I was looking round for another 550B mainly because, along with everyone else, I found swapping from lpp to spp a pain in the butt! I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and was given for free, an old but fully working SDB in 9mm. It now is bolted to my reloading bench and it's so much easier not having to swap over primer systems. After loading a few hundred 9mm, if I then go straight over to reloading .45acp, it's like loading rubbish bins (trash cans to folk over the other side of the pond). My only problem now is that if I decide to reload for 5.56mm I've got to look for another 550B and then use it for 9mm as well as I have no more room on my bench!

Both of the SD's I have are over 20 years old. My brother and I split the $130 for our first one 25 years ago. Now that I have faster machines I don't use them as much but they are still handy for small runs. They are most valuable to me for working up loads at the range. What used to take months now takes hours.

Slick, Mr. Morris

Nice moble loading room! whats it mounted too? your Hitch? I gotta do this to my 550! lol...

I have 2 SDB's and a 650. I think for the money that SDB is the best on the market. I have one dedicated to 9mm and once dedicated to .45 acp. You would be surprised at how much ammo you can load with these presses. Don't get me wrong, I like my 650 but am getting ready to switch to a 1050 with a bullet feeder to reduce my tennis elbow believe it or not. I'd tell my wife anything to get her to approve a 1050.

Mr. Bullet feeder went a long way to helping my left shoulder and elbow pain, fact not fiction, she can call me to verify, do it for your health :)