Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann VS. KKM

chowellacsbd

I'm not sure that either is really better than the other. What I can tell you is that my open gun (also a full size 9 major) has a Scheumann AET barrel, and I have no complaints. My ammo drops into the chamber easily and I've had no sticky extraction issues or anything.

I'm making major comfortably with 8.1gr of HS-6 under a 124gr CMJ, while some other people I've talked to are running 8.3gr for the same PF, so maybe the Scheumanns are fast barrels?

I don't think you'll run into problems whichever way you decide to go.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

6 Open Gun barrels 4 Clarks, 1 Schuemann, and a STI. The Clark's are always faster. 175pf with 7.4gr of Silhouette SPM 124gr RN MTG 1.165. New M5 1/2" Schueman Ultimatch bull against a 5" Clark bushing w/1200 rds on it the Schuemann lost the speed contest by 8 fps avg. I have been impressed with the Accuracy of the Clark as well. All of them run extract etc. The Schueman is a 1/32 but have not verifed accuracy yet for it.

Clark Custom Guns has provided good service, cut, crown, thread etc and very nomimal prices.

Planning an IPSC/Steel Open build for 9mm major and would like to know if anyone can help me providing pros/cons for either brand. Planning to use 9mm govt length. Not sure if it's relevant, but gunsmith will be threading for comp.

Schuemann is great barrel.

KKM is a great barrel.

Differences: KKM will cost you less to buy. KKM will require more labor to fit. Only your gunsmith can say which is going to cost you less to install. KKM barrels are faster than than Schuemann. By faster I mean the same load in each barrel will chrono faster in KKM So you could use less powder to acheive the same PF in a KKM, thus saving you a few more pennies.

Full disclosure, I'm sponsored by Schuemann, but I would absolutely pay for them if I wasn't...without a second thought.

KKM was started by a former Schuemann employee. They are essentially the last version of Schuemann technology. They are made much more oversized and take longer to fit, so you wind up paying more for gunsmith labor. I've had no less than three top smiths tell me that in the end, buying the more expensive Schuemann winds up being either the same, or a tick less in overall cost.

I've got Open guns with Bar-Sto, KKM, Nowlin and Schuemann. The Schuemann is the most accurate, hands down. the last time I shot groups at 25yds, I shot several 10-shot groups in a row that were at 1", and that was using a folded towel on top of my range bag for a rest.

The AET versions will almost always require a bit more powder to get the same velocity, but that's the nature of gain twist rifling. The AET chamber aids extraction (it's biggest benefit IMO)...take the same gun, with the same springs, and swap from a standard to AET, and the cases from the AET barrel will fly about 3ft farther. The feed ramp is also mildly curved on the AET barrels, and that makes them feed incredibly smoothly. I did a video on table starts a while back, and in a follow up, used empty cases to clarify a point someone asked about...it fed empty cases when hand cycled.

Don't take my word on it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57882&view=findpost&p=672537

I've been doing some chrono and accuracy work with my .40 SS gun lately (it has an AET Classic). Using the same sort of rest as above, I shot three or four 1.25" or smaller groups at 25yds...it's scary accurate, and will feed anything (including empty cases) you put through it...not many .40 SS guns can say that.

Hello: The only issues I've heard and seen with the KKM's is that you either get a good one or a bad one. My open 9mm shorty had a great very accurate KKM in it when I bought it. I have seen a couple of other KKM's that had very bad inaccurate barrels that wore out very quickly. I like the Schuemann barrels since they are easier to fit and also have a great finsh to them. The accuracy has been very good with the ones I have(6 so far). I am not sponsored by Schuemann and I am still waiting for a barrel I ordered back in November. I know Mike has had some machine problems and is getting caught up now. I have a Briley barrel I am going to try next in a 45 build. The STI barrel is very good as well. I have a Tru-Bor series 2 barrel/comp that is a tack driver. Thanks, Eric

• 2 months later...

Easier fitting but poor bore quality = Schuemann

Better bore quality but takes more time to fit properly = KKM

This opinion is based on new barrels I have seen / fitted within last 1 year.

Had the same dilemma last year and learned the hard expensive way that KKM is not the way to go.

Had lots of problems with tumbling bullets until I replace the barrel. Will not recommend a KKM barrel to anyone.

• 1 year later...

Had the same dilemma last year and learned the hard expensive way that KKM is not the way to go.

Had lots of problems with tumbling bullets until I replace the barrel. Will not recommend a KKM barrel to anyone.

first time i heard that kkm barrel would make your bullet tumble. they are very accurate barrels for me. it outshot my ultimatch barrel, both in 40 cal

I would ask your gunsmith if he has a preference. Yes, it's your gun and I'm sure he would make it how you want. BUT I believe part of the pricetag is paying for the gunsmiths knowledge and expertise. Plus he's the one that has to fit it, etc...

6 Open Gun barrels 4 Clarks, 1 Schuemann, and a STI. The Clark's are always faster. 175pf with 7.4gr of Silhouette SPM 124gr RN MTG 1.165. New M5 1/2" Schueman Ultimatch bull against a 5" Clark bushing w/1200 rds on it the Schuemann lost the speed contest by 8 fps avg. I have been impressed with the Accuracy of the Clark as well. All of them run extract etc. The Schueman is a 1/32 but have not verifed accuracy yet for it.

Clark Custom Guns has provided good service, cut, crown, thread etc and very nomimal prices.

I thought the question was Schueman VS KKM what did i miss

Schuemann makes a fantastic barrel. Call Mike and talk to him. He is a wealth of knowledge and he will give you the technical and practical differences. He is also a shooter. I have seen a pro shooter shoot a 10" steel target at 97 yards with MIke's Colt officer with a Schuemann barrel in it. Not once but twice. It was extremely impressive. I have 3 of his barrels and they are very accurate and the quality is top notch. I also have a KKM in my glock. Though good, quality didn't compare. My 2 cents for what it is worth. You need to be comfortable.

• 2 months later...

Limcat guns uses KKM

Limcat has special barrels made by KKM for his guns.

I have 3 KKM's and they all shoot great

A friend of mine has a brand new Schuemann that's Bulging the brass, he keeps getting a run around from the builder

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2