Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Match Recommendations

P-Zak

I imagine that most of us are starting to look ahead to the upcoming season. I have traveled out of state to shoot USPSA matches previously, and was thinking about hitting a State / Regional IDPA shoot. I know that there are some really great shoots out there and was hoping that others will share those they feel are the “can’t miss shoots” around the nation. Whether it be the stages, prize table or the staff - which matches do you guys feel are the ones to shoot. I’m not interested in starting a “this one is better than that one” thread, just a plug for your personal favorite and why.

I’ll start, I think the Idaho IDPA match is one to hit if your anywhere on the west coast. Great stages / props, low entry fee and a prize table that was one of the best I have seen, are the reasons why. I spoke with a couple of shooters from other states who attended last years match, and they echoed my thoughts.

What else is out there...

If you get to go to the East Coast, don't miss the GA State. Cappel English is a "mad magician" and puts on one of the most challenging and interesting matches I have ever shot... and that includes three Nationals. 2010 GA was a real hoot!

GOF

Also in the southeast are the NC State Championship in May and the East Coast Championship in October (30 stages, 260 rounds). Both are held at Caswell Ranch, not too far from The Range, where The Carolina Cup is held.

Then there's the IDPA World Championship in Florida in September.

I've got these and the Carolina Cup circled on my calendar.

Where do you live P-Zak?

Idaho is always good.

Carolina Cup is always on the list (I've never been there, but hear good things).

A friend of mine said Colorado was great last year, and they're doing it again (May 21).

Arizona was great last year (Pima pistol club in Tucson). This year it'll be in Phoenix by a different crew.

Does anyone know what club is going to host the SC state this year? No word online yet.

I assume the GA state will be in Conyers again.

I sent an email to the folks that ran the SC match last year. They are not doing it this year for some reason. That's too bad. They ran a good match. The GA match will be the last weekend in October again. I got the info from the MD although it isn't yet posted on the IDPA website.

Koski,

I have not shot either one of them. I have been interested in both though. I have also wondered about the AZ IDPA State match. I went to the WSSSC match last year. What a great match. The guys in AZ know how to design stages... Its looking like I need to check out the Carolina Cup next year. I appreciate the replies, keep them coming.

Pzak

Does anyone know what club is going to host the SC state this year? No word online yet.

I assume the GA state will be in Conyers again.

I'm hoping the Greenville Gun Club hosts this year - they put on an excellent match :cheers:

I appreciate the replies guys. The Carolina Cup is not a surprise that it is recommended. The Georgia state match sounds like it must be a great match too and worth looking into. What about the gulf coast or NM area? Just a bit closer for me.

P-Zak

PZ,

Have you shot any of the Oregon or Washington major matches? If so, how were they? I haven't shot 'em.

Koski

Steve, you should come to our WA major match. August 20 – 21, 2011 and we will have 15 stages. I would like to shoot Oregons match but I don't think they will be holding one.

M Bear,

I am gonna guess that the Idaho State match will be in September again, but I have no inside knowledge. Aaron Goodfellow is the man to ask.

Victor, where will the WA State match be held?

P-Zak

M Bear,

I am gonna guess that the Idaho State match will be in September again, but I have no inside knowledge. Aaron Goodfellow is the man to ask.

Victor, where will the WA State match be held?

P-Zak

It will be held at the Renton Fish & Game in Renton, WA http://www.rfgc.org/

Edited by Victor R

Ya know, I have yet to shoot an IDPA match here, but I have shot Cowboy and USPSA matches at LaGrande, Oregon, and I really like that range. It is in the Mountains, you can camp down the road on the river, you go a little farther and there is a Natural Hot Springs, you can fish, it is just a really neat place. Here is their Website, you can check out all their schedules. www.lgrpc.com

WG

Ya know, I have yet to shoot an IDPA match here, but I have shot Cowboy and USPSA matches at LaGrande, Oregon, and I really like that range. It is in the Mountains, you can camp down the road on the river, you go a little farther and there is a Natural Hot Springs, you can fish, it is just a really neat place. Here is their Website, you can check out all their schedules. www.lgrpc.com

WG

You should try and head over to our IDPA state match or a monthly match at that. We would love to have you over.

I've shot in many state and regionals and 2 nationals----and the Michigan State IDPA match is still one of the tops. We have a lot of IDPA clubs in the state and have had state matches annually since 2001.

The format is that one club hosts the match and then every stage is designed and staffed by a different club from around the state. They're are asked to bring their very best stage.... that and the fact that nearly 100% of the stages are run by match directors insures a well run match.

Edited by MichiganShootist

The Idaho State match will be announced soon, just putting the details together for this year's rockin match! I'm biased towards the Idaho match, because we have great shooters coming to shoot, and always come up with some creative prop/use of props for stage that makes them fun.

I'm sure we'll post an announcement here, but keep an eye on the Parma web site for the announcement as well.

bk