Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Build; Gun Finish?

anilson

FWIW, I had a glock with a NP3 slide, and I wore through it with a lot of dryfire draws out of a kydex holster.

NP3 will polish with use on the baring surfaces; you may have polished the NP3 with the kydex holster. I don’t think kydex exceeds RC48 and could " wear through" NP3. The properties of NP3 are:

NP3 is a surface treatment for steel and metal alloys that combines sub-micron particles of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), otherwise known as Teflon, with electroless nickel. The application of NP3 is auto-catalytic, that is, not requiring any form of electricity. This process is preferable to standard electrolytic plating as all active surfaces are evenly plated, which is not the case with any electrolytically deposited coating. Coating thickness can be maintained to within .0002" or two ten thousandths of one inch, with the PTFE evenly distributed and locked into the nickel matrix. NP3 is a true composite if wear occurs; fresh particles of PTFE are exposed to keep the opposing surfaces lubricated throughout the life of the coating. NP3 has a micro hardness of 48-51 Rockwell when plated and is very corrosion resistant. A one mil (.001) coating will exceed a 240 hour salt spray test with no loss of protective properties.

Out.

2011BLDR

It is really hard to beat hard chrome! I have seen some very old guns with hundred of thousands of rounds through them that look brand new. I am biased towards Kodiak Precision for getting my hard chroming done. He does a lot of prep work before he sends it off to an aerospace plating company.

His guns have been on the cover of a couple of magazines.

NP3 will polish with use on the baring surfaces; you may have polished the NP3 with the kydex holster. I don’t think kydex exceeds RC48 and could " wear through" NP3. The properties of NP3 are:

Now I wish I still had that gun so I could show pics. But regardless of theory it sure looked like bare metal rather than polished NP3, and I remember looking real close. So if I wanted a silver surface, I'd choose hard chrome.

Just talked to Velocity Shooter about a 6" Limited gun. He said that Dan Bedell does not chrome any of his guns anymore.Only blueing. Anyone heard of this before?

That what Dan told BOZ1911 when he ordered his last open gun from him.

That was maybe a year and a half or two years ago.

Two-tone finish on my Limited gun with Canyon Creek's TiAIN (or Canyon Blue) on the slide and HC on the frame. I'm liking the Canyon Blue; harder than HC and very attractive.

Para40Limited2.gif

Anyone have experience with KG Gun Coatings or TiAIN from Canyon Creek?

I the Benny slide is stainless but has a black coating on it. Adam

ty-66052

Even though the slide has a coating on it I think SS and Hardchroming can have some friction problems like binding or galling (from personal experience). I would choose a finish other than hardchroming.

Did some say "chrome"?!

Over 5k rounds and the chrome finish has been spectacular IMO. (a wilson classic in HC that is my avatar)

If you don't like "bright" finishes, I know there is something out there called "black chrome" but I don't know much about it. It is supposed to be softer that regular hard chrome, but that is about all I know.

I would post a picture of the bottom slide and one of the frame but for some reason it is restricted.

Edited by buck-boost

Hardchrome on a frame & slide galling??? It's possible. I seen ionbond flake & crack(early too!) At 15k I satin HC my SV. It came back as tight as the day I bought it and have put 40k since hard chrome and it as smooth and tight as welll.. You get the picture. I'm sure this gun if kept another 120k will feel lke it does today as long as I re spring when needed and keep it soaked in mobil 1.

SVI won't hardchrome guns anymore SV will blue your gun for free. The DLC and other CRM, pvd coatings is what SV offers now. I blued my gun and 15k later I hardchromed it. "hydrogen embrittlement" keeps SV selling these exotic finishes. Cerakote and ionbod bod have self lubricating properties and a hardness that feels so solid yet "soft". And absorbent.

I shot an SV w 150k on it, it felt like mine at 60k, which as no different from 1k pre chromed.

• 2 weeks later...

My local gun forum led me to find a few shops who do a lot of coatings for gun companies even though 99.99% of their business advertised is anodizing. I inquired and was told a teflon coating that is not too shiny is an option and a matte black spray on is another. Super tough and durable. The owner is a AR15 fanatic and says his gear and the companies he does work for swear by them. But I mentioned a pistol gets a lot more use via holster than a rifle, and he just smiled. Said "we're right here and back up our work whichever coating you choose." I guess the only drawback is taking the few minutes to strip the pistol for warranty work.

I like the shinier black look the Springfield Armory Custom Shops come back with but hard chrome is nice although a bit more than my local source's price of $100. And I don't have to ship the gun because no one in state does HC.