Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super versus 38 SuperComp Discussion: Take 2!

JasonS

I've searched through alot of the older topics, and I understand from that research the differences in the base dimensions, and the interchangability issues with some gun extractors.

My question is: Which are you shooting in your open gun, and why? (38 super, 38 supercomp, or heck even 38 TJ)

Thanks

I've searched through alot of the older topics, and I understand from that research the differences in the base dimensions, and the interchangability issues with some gun extractors.

My question is: Which are you shooting in your open gun, and why? (38 super, 38 supercomp, or heck even 38 TJ)

Thanks

As I understand it. The advantage of 38 supercomp over 38 super has to do more with magizine capacity and reliability.

It's been said a bunch, but...

.38 Super - advantage in extraction reliability, greater case capacity

.38 Supercomp - advantage in feed reliability and mag capacity, stronger brass design (though this is not as important these days at current PF)

Both work fine.

I run Supercomp most of the time, and on very specific occasions I run Super.

38 Super has more rim...sometimes rounds stack inconsistently in magazine (nut I never had a problem yet). Super Comp will allow a couple more rounds per magazine and more reliable mag feeding. I've read and been told SC uses approx 1-2 grains powder less (due to thicker case) than super for same PF...but I haven't got there.

FWIW...I am shooting Super now, but plan to move to SuperComp soon, once I shoot all the Super brass I have. It's just a matter of switching out the stock extractor for an Aftec extractor...replacing stock with 9mm/SC extractor. And making minor changes to your reloading setup...see you reloading thread.

i mix and match both in the same mag and my caspian feeds both just fine. i'm just too lazy to sort it.

the rim on the super can sit behind the next case rim in double stack mags and cause a feed problem, also as mentioned, the rimless supercomp allows an extra round in big mags, but i can only get 19 in my standard caspian mags reguardless of what it is.

oh, same with the sti

<--- that one.

Edited by wanderer

I'm a Supercomp fan. It gives you an extra round in a big stick, is a bit beefier through the web, and uses a couple of tenths less powder for the same velocity. It also lasts a bit longer than Super, but most folks lose them before they're worn out. R,

And....the super comp will drop in the case gage back-wards so you can check the base like a 40. Old thing was the guys that shot supper would keep using the brass until the brass split and thin they would only load it three more times. dry.gif I have found super brass older than some of the shooters. :mellow: OK maybe not that old.

I use my super comp until the head stamp gets so I can see the marking fade, and thin it goes in to the Lost brass Match boxes.

I use TJ, for all the reasons people use SC, but also the extractor groove is cut a little higher than on standard 38S©. This means that a resizing die can get closer to the extractor groove. If you turn down the end of the die a little (or use and EGW U-Die), you can get almost all the way down to the groove. The result is that it is as close as a full-case resize as you can get without roll-sizing or push-through sizing. The more concentric the brass, the better they stack in the big-stick magazine.

I use TJ, for all the reasons people use SC, but also the extractor groove is cut a little higher than on standard 38S©.

Current SC is very similar to TJ in that regard ;)

My first open gun was a used, Para, .38 super and it was a jam-o-matic because it didn't want to feed properly out of the magazines. I had the extractor re-worked to .38 Supercomp and it ran 100%.

Which is why, when I had my new open gun built in 2004, I had it built in .38 Supercomp.

Pardon me pls. A question, not to hijack the original post. So basically If you want to change from .38 super to .38 SC or .38TJ, all you have to do is change the extractor and the brass of course. Am I correct? I have another open, an old .38 super lying around and remaining brass is about 500 or so. I might convert to .38 supercomp.

thank you

Pardon me pls. A question, not to hijack the original post. So basically If you want to change from .38 super to .38 SC or .38TJ, all you have to do is change the extractor and the brass of course. Am I correct? I have another open, an old .38 super lying around and remaining brass is about 500 or so. I might convert to .38 supercomp.

thank you

In many cases that is enough, yes. Even more interestingly, often a gun with 38SC extractor will shoot both rimmed and rimless ammo just fine.

In many cases that is enough, yes. Even more interestingly, often a gun with 38SC extractor will shoot both rimmed and rimless ammo just fine.

Won't running the larger 38 super rim through a gun that has an extractor tuned for 38sc hammer the extractor too much? I would think that it would either not be effectively tuned for the larger rim or eventually bend the extractor so it wouldn't extract the 38sc as well.

Won't running the larger 38 super rim through a gun that has an extractor tuned for 38sc hammer the extractor too much? I would think that it would either not be effectively tuned for the larger rim or eventually bend the extractor so it wouldn't extract the 38sc as well.

It may, it may not. I've tried .38SC cases in a .38 Super gun without much success. I've also tried Super in SC guns, and none of mine will feed...the rim hits the extractor and stops.

I know some people do it, but if you have an extractor tuned so that it will run with either kind of case, it's not really tuned properly for either one. It's nearly as easy to simply fit a second extractor and it only takes a few minutes to switch...at most. R,

I have a couple of pistols (1911s) with stock extractors that run both 38 Super and Super Comp brass just fine. I've also got some Supers with picky extractors. Extractors are funny things and (perhaps depending on where the bend/tension is located) some are particular about what you feed them, and some aren't.

i use the same Dillon shell plate for 38 Super, 38 Super Comp and 9mm (and even some 38 Super Lapua which has an even narrower rim than Super Comp). after many tens of thousands of Super Comp cases i've experienced only a dozen instances where the shell plate failed to hold the brass completely flat. all failures occurred during priming, but when i repositioned the case it primed just fine with the second effort.

i bought Dillon's .223 shell plate when i bought the press (650) as per Dillon's advice but never bothered using it for Super Comp cases because it hasn't been necessary. i've only used it for .223 ammo.

I guess I'm surprised so many people run SC, since it takes a different shellplate than 9mm, and would make the caliber swap between the two that much more annoying.

You can use the 9mm plate without much problem. In several thousand rounds one or two might fall out, but this is so rare it will be swamped by other issues. On one of my presses I am using 9mm plate, on the other - 38SC, and there is no difference, practically speaking.

• 3 months later...

I am currently running an open gun in 38 Super and picked up a backup open gun that is 38 SC. My 38 super gun runs great and I am sitting on ~5k of new super brass. I went ahead and bought the SC gun because it is supposed to be tuned for both Super and SC. Before buying it I fed a full mag of 38 super through it without any problems. I plan to do more testing with Super in the gun but wonder if I should just convert it to 38 Super exclusively due to all the brass I have on hand.

So would you guys suggest leaving it as it is or buying a 38Super-specific extractor?

Thanks!

I run super not SC, ive never hadthe afore mentioned mag rim stacking issues, and im still left with a ton of super brass... SC to me is a fix to a non problem, got a casepro for the fatties... shoot em till ya cant read the headstamps life is good hehehe

I run super not SC, ive never hadthe afore mentioned mag rim stacking issues, and im still left with a ton of super brass... SC to me is a fix to a non problem, got a casepro for the fatties... shoot em till ya cant read the headstamps life is good hehehe

If you're starting out from zero, SC gives you an extra round in the mag, uses a touch less powder for the same PF, the cases are stronger/last longer, and the cost is the same. It's a total no-brainer for those folks. R,