Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide on Sears

EricW

When I tore down my gun to change grips last week, I re-lubed my sear with a couple drops of Break Free. Not a good move. It went from smooth to gritty in about 10 dry firings. So, I popped out the grip safety and gooped some SG #1 in there. Yeah, I'm sure there are a million reasons why I shouldn't put grease on the hammer/sear engagement, but dammit it works! 300 rounds + 3X of that in dryfire later, the trigger is still very smooth. Smooth enough to make me wonder whether moly paste or whatever high tech juju that's in-vogue would be much of an improvement.

Anybody ever tried it?

Oh heck yeah! When I got my tubs of Slide Glide I lubed the heck out of everything the next time I did a total tear down. I use "Lite" for the internals regardless of temperature and it has worked just great for me.

I don't glob it in there though. I just give everything a nice coating. I love it for revo actions too.

Eric,

Put some STI “Trigger Slick” on your hammer and sear and THEN try your trigger, it’ll take it to “the next step”! I picked that tip from loves2shoot. After a spring kit and using Slide Glide and Trigger Slick and absolutely no stoning, you would not believe the trigger pull (single and DA) on my Super Red Hawk 454.

Ed

Actually, grease-type lubes are the best (and in my opinion only) option for the sear/hammer interfaces. Even people who would never use grease on their rails would be well served to use something like Trigger Slick or Slide Glide on their sear and hammer hooks.

And don't forget on the disconnector where it rides on the trigger bow!

I use it in my caspian and really like the feel of it.

Gives more "idea" when the break is coming while at the same time giving that break a more smooth, liquid feel. Not a combination you'd expect but it's there.

For one-handed shooting it's :D:D:D

Use either slideglide 1 or triggerslick..

Like the way it stays in place..trigger feels smooth and consistent..

great idea on the revolver stuff...might need to try it there..how about ar15 bolts?? any try that..

I'm sure there are a million reasons why I shouldn't put grease on the hammer/sear engagement, but dammit it works!

Why shoudnt one use SG on the sear, hammer area?, I just put SG#1 on it and although I haven´t had the gun enough to tell you if it works or not I would like to know the possible down side of doing this, as I remember reading "...apply slide glide to anywhere where things come into contact..."

Txs

I am using the Pro-Tec grease on my hammer hooks. I put just a small dot on each one. Really smoooooths things up.

I have been really please with the Pro-Tec grease on my comp sleeve and slide & frame rails also.

Read more about what I have to say about the Pro-Tec products at this post over on the Stock Gun Froum.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11563

Yeah, I'm sure there are a million reasons why I shouldn't put grease on the hammer/sear engagement, .....

No there isn't. It is a high stress point subject to waer which cries out for a lube with very good surface tensile strength (like Slide Glide). If you want a lighter/slicker trigger feel, I have found that thinning the SG about 50-50 with either FP-10 or Militec liquid lube noticably reduces the trigger pull and slickens the feel. On my 1911 comp gun, I measured that it drops the pull from about 2.7# to about 2.4# just by adding the liquid lube. Not earth shaking, but noticable.

RE: AR bolts. Yep. I use it there too. I have been using #1 for the AR bolt but will probably switch to #3 when (if) the weather ever warms up again.

I also use Lite on my reloading presses (Dillon and other).

TriggerSlick is discontinued according to this blurb...

http://www.stiguns.com/SkinnErgrams/SGRAM-62.html 

NOOOOOO! Say it isn't so! Oh well, I only use it on the sear and the hammer hooks, that little tub should last a lifetime. Has anybody used the JP stuff?

I thought I'd made the mistake taking Slide Glide to work, but now the COMPANY'S going to have to buy some. :)

Ed

how about ar15 bolts?? any try that..

I don't think grease of any kind is a good idea on the bolt and bolt carrier in an AR.

I use grease on my pistolas, but liquid lubes seem to be a better choice for the AR, but you have to (or should) run them pretty "wet" to get the best results (unless it's really dusty/sandy).

I don't think grease of any kind is a good idea on the bolt and bolt carrier in an AR.

If recall correctly, Jake Kempton or Derrick Martin fill his receiver with grease.

It was Derrick , greased at the begginning of the season, and shot all the way through to the last match. No problems.

I have been using Brownell's stuff, the one that comes in a tub. Moly type stuff.

But, will try SG lite as soon as I get some, which will be soon as I am out of SG 1.

Travis F.

• 2 months later...

I have tested a mix of Slide Glide, McCormick’s trigger slick and Mil-Tec oil. 10cc of Slide Glide, 10cc of Trigger Slick and 6 drops of Mil Tec oil. It has the adhesion properties of Slide Glide but works at freezing temps and seems to be even slicker across the board.

Give it a try; I load it in a syringe with a 18ga flexible cathider for easy application.

• 2 weeks later...

I use MOLY-SLIDE on my sear. Wonder if it is the same product as Slide Glide? It has a toothpaste-like consistency. When I first used it I didn't believe it would work due to the fact that it seems to have no lubricity when rubbed between your fingers. It's good for about 1/2# reduction in trigger pull.

On AR's I put it on the sear and the bolt carrier. On the carrier I mix it with oil.