Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversize 1911 grips?

fastarget

I do not have huge hands, my fingers are a bit long, and I am very comfortable with the 2011 grip and use the SVI long flat insert. I would like to try and make my 1911 more comfortable to shoot by changing the grip and possibly the trigger when I find one to purchase.

Does anyone make or sell thicker grips? Is this How you mod the grip to make the gun fit you?

I had the same issue so I made new grip panels for my 1911. I found that the extreme thickness and depth (front to back) of the 1911 and 2011 grips are very close, but the 2011 circumference is roughly .10 larger because it is more square. Therefore, to replicate that feel with a 1911 the panels should not be thicker. Instead they should be less ovalized with a slight flat spot on the sides.

I did this by cutting 1/4 inch stock into over-sized grip blanks and hand planing them to final shape. It didn't have to be pretty because I covered it in skateboard tape. This pic is mid-process to show the exaggerated flat sides on the grip. I took quite a bit more material off this before I was done, but this shows the flat sides better. I'm very happy with the results. My 1911 and 2011 index similarly now and it is easier for me to switch between SS and Lim.

1911%20Woodworking%20Take2%20pic%202%20of%202.png

Interesting, making your own grips, sounds interesting, not sure I have the talent or the tools. I did think of making a spacer however for mine, it would make it thicker but would not address the radius part.

Well, might have to go that route if none are to be found.

Only tools I used were a chop saw and a hand plane, then I drilled the holes with a cordless drill. The biggest improvement would have been to use a drill press, but I don't have one.

The final results are not terribly pretty, but they are functional and skateboard tape hides a lot.

I know I'm going to hack the name but there used to be a system "Breckovich"? grips and guide rods.

They were a metal (Lead)? panel that fit under the grip and made it quite a bit wider. He was one of the first I remember making tungsten guide rods they were big like .375 dia. with a .375 spring. I think Wilson took over making the rods for a time.

Any way to experiment maybe it would be easier to make an insert panel like that as it's just flat with 2 holes to clear the grip screw inserts.

You could even use kydex to test.

I had the same issue and bought a set of panels that go under the regular grips and make the whole grip wider. I got them out of brownells so when I get home i will check my old orders. and put the info up here.

Adam

Lead or tungsten would likely create an issue with the SS 43 oz limit. My Trojan (9mm) was already 42.9oz before I started messing with the grip panels, so I had to use a light wood to add material while keeping it below the weight limit. Of course with a different gun you might be starting with a little more wiggle room.

Used to be someone that made a wrap around grip for a 1911 that made it feel like a 2011... big square feeling checkered plastic thing. I did a search and couldn't find it, but maybe someone knows and could chime in?

Used to be someone that made a wrap around grip for a 1911 that made it feel like a 2011... big square feeling checkered plastic thing. I did a search and couldn't find it, but maybe someone knows and could chime in?

I can't remember the persons name but I think it was Pinnacle guns in PA, but they are no longer sold. I was told the mold was worn out and it wasn't worth the cost of re-tooling.

Adam

Did not know that, but aGood idea, I will call Ed. Have a couple of his , an ironwood set and burl......

Most of his grips I have seen are not textured, beautiful, exhibition worthy. I would be interested more in a good micarta or something I could put tape on for competition use.

Edited by fastarget

I can't remember the persons name but I think it was Pinnacle guns in PA, but they are no longer sold. I was told the mold was worn out and it wasn't worth the cost of re-tooling.

Adam

Yes, it was Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle who made them. They were great grips. Too bad they are not available anymore.

+1 on the Hogue finger grip

Another +1 here. I just wish Hogue would make some with flat bottoms to fit magwells better. Another option would be to get the Pearce finger groove panels that fit under standard grips - that will widen it up a little.

Jerry Barnhart made a set pf burner grips that were thick. I have them on my gun now and it feels a lot like a 2011. I put some sand blast material on them and they are great.

• 1 year later...