Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 limited national champion

mark carr

I have not been able to find much about him in print either, but I do talk with him at matches. He is a real nice guy to talk to and I like to watch him shoot, he runs are really smooth. He is 21 and has been shooting 7-8 years if I remember right. He mostly shot a Glock until just recently (this year) when he started shooting a Matt Mclearn STI.

You probably will not find very much in print. He has kept a very low profile, rarely attending matches outside of AZ. He is quite competent with a wheel gun also. I have high admiration for his parents and siblings. It is a very genuine, nice family.

There was one mention of him in a Front Sight magazine story on the Western States Single Stack Championship and another when he shot his wheel gun.

He basically grew up in the shadow of all the GMs that shoot at Rio Salado. They have known him since he was a young man.

That sounds right another phenom coming out of Rio Salado I watched the above videos he looks smooth and he must be really fast although I didn't get to watch him at the nationals this year I watched a couple of the top squads and they were flying with there limited guns. :surprise:

Nils is a bad ass FAST & SMOOTH! He is one of the nicest young men you will ever meet and is a joy to shoot with. There may not be much on him now but just wait. I have a feeling with his talent and his age he will be chasing Robbie's record.

The sports book in Vegas had him at something like 40-1!!! I just wish I had thought to put some money on him ...

P.S. Just wait until he starts shooting Open! :surprise:

Nils wasn't on the Super Squad so none of the media types were paying attention to him. On the third day when it became apparent that he had a good shot at winning they came by for a stage or two. On USPSA's nationals blog they had write-ups on all the other division champions except Limited. You'd think there would be more coverage since he's the youngest national champion ever.

The sports book in Vegas had him at something like 40-1!!! I just wish I had thought to put some money on him ...

P.S. Just wait until he starts shooting Open! :surprise:

If I had know about the odds I would have bet on him without hesitation. Guys were talking at the range that he won Nationals even with 4 misses.

He has spent the last couple of Area 2's coming in second to Dave Sevigny and I knew it was only a matter of time before he starts getting first places. There are a lot of matches out here for him to get some practice in and he keep getting better and better.

BTW - I have seen him pick up an open gun and shoot a match. Even though it is a bit foreign to him he still ends up winning the match.

Nils wasn't on the Super Squad so none of the media types were paying attention to him. On the third day when it became apparent that he had a good shot at winning they came by for a stage or two. On USPSA's nationals blog they had write-ups on all the other division champions except Limited. You'd think there would be more coverage since he's the youngest national champion ever.

Coverage at Nationals is difficult at best, there is something happening on 16 stages at the same time. This is why Super-Squads are so important. Typically all those with a shot at winning would be on the same squad. This makes it much easier to cover the event and media bulletins can indicate who's winning the match at the end of each day. Occasionally a non-supersquad shooter wins the match, it happens and usually takes everyone by surprise. With varied points available on each stage its often difficult to figure out if someone has a shot at the title or has just shot some higher point stages than everyone else.

I am certain that 2011 will see Nils on the Super Squad and better coverage will be available. We had the same problem on the Women's Open division with two previous champions shooting on another schedule/squad from the remainder of the contenders. Media coverage is key in any sporting endeavor and USPSA is no different, we need to promote shooting and the best way is via media updates/blogs etc. but we need to indicate who is winning each day, its important to the media, sponsors, friends and family etc..

I think USPSA had three people covering the entire match.

Maybe they should cover more shooters than the super squad to show people that shooters off all skill levels are out there competing and having fun. I think that would promote our sport better so people are not intimidated by watching GMs shoot.

It is not diffucult to cover Nationals. There are many good shooters who are not on the Super Squad. First and Second place Masters were not on the Super Squad-Steve and Glenn, yet the GMs all know those guys are excellent. Yamil seems to do a great job of cover all the stages and squads. Hmmm. How come he can do it besides being a superman.

The whole idea of a super squad generates both positive and negative comments.

A far as a knowing who is winning each day is a bit lame. It really can not be done with any credibility. As many stages and different points per stage the top point leaders always change stage by stage.

We are not going to grow our sport by converage of the supersquad or nationals for that matter.

A club grows by the actions of individuals within the club. As clubs grow so will USPSA. From my own personal experience one person (whatmeworry) got me to go to a match. Then several people (balletlady)provide a lot of encouragement.

Gary Blount encouraged me to shoot Tuesnight Steel, then Micky, Troy, Mark, Don keep me coming back. The actions of individuals make for the growth.

Just to beat a horse to death over growth, I was traveling, went to a match in WA after an hour of being totally ignored and getting hostile looks, I left. Which was completely different than the folks at Maryville, Bunyan and Renton. It was easy to see why certain clubs seem to do bette than other.

It is not diffucult to cover Nationals.

Did work so good at the Multi-gun Nationals. 2nd and 3rd in Tactical overall were on the squard right behind the Supers and the camera people didn't even come by for a look. After 2 days and 10 stages you'd think they would have a clue but nope.

I have been on a couple of Super Squads, I would not recommend thinking you can be there and NOT work.

I shot with Nils at Area 2 last year. He is awfully smooth, the kind of shooter that when you watch you think he's good but could be faster...until you see the time. I guess "effortless" springs to mind.

I have shot on squads with TGO, Voight, Golembieski, Saiti, Sevgney, and Butler to name a few. They all worked taping targets and resetting & painting steel. Futhermore, I have shot with the M class top guns and they all worked.

Just as a side note: I shot with the women open supersquad one year, they all worked! Megan, Kay, Sarah, etc. Jerry did not work :roflol: because Kay did the work of three people and he was busy reloading the 30 mags he was carrying - shooting productin with a wheel gun.

I have found more A and M shooters with "I dont need to work attitude" than any GM. This includes local matches in WA, NM, AZ, CA. I can not speak for what goes on in other places but everyplace I have shot, GMs and M shooters work just as much as any one else.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they could show the super squadders taping targets and resetting steel. I need proof of that stuff actually happening. :closedeyes:

I was an RO at Area 2 this year and the Super Squaders did a great job taping and setting. In addition, they came around and thanked each of us when the squad was done. It's a shame there are a few that give the rest a bad name. They were'nt at our stage #8.

Joe

I've seen Nils shoot a few stages at the Desert Classic. He's phenomenal. Ultra smooth, relaxed, and his footwork is thing of beauty. I remember commenting to a couple top level guys - after watching him burn down a stage that had both an awkward entry and an awkward, off balance exit - "he took a second off everyone in that one position." They didn't buy it, but he did.

be

Nils is Amazing! I saw some video and was blown away. It is too bad he was not in the super squad, for coverage sake, but very lucky for the guys that did get to shot with him. To be able to shoot with someone like that makes you a better shooter. I always consider it a real pleasure and a treat to have a good, hard working shooter on the squad, and would love to shoot with Nils.

WG

• 4 weeks later...

As pjb45 mentioned he does not get out of AZ much. We have always seen him winning local matches so it did not surprise us much. here are few of his local accomplishments:

Area 2

2006 2nd Revo

2007 1st Production

2008 2nd Production

2009 2nd Production

2010 2nd Limited

2010 Steel Challenge Champion (First time he shot a SC match)

2011 1st Western States SingleStack

Nils is Amazing! I saw some video and was blown away. It is too bad he was not in the super squad, for coverage sake, but very lucky for the guys that did get to shot with him. To be able to shoot with someone like that makes you a better shooter. I always consider it a real pleasure and a treat to have a good, hard working shooter on the squad, and would love to shoot with Nils.

WG

I agree we were lucky. I was squadded with Nils at the Nationals but he is also a friend so I have seen him shoot at Rio a gazillion times. We had a great squad with a few AZ guys and a bunch of our non-AZ shooting buddies like Outzen, Higdon and Ohlmann. Nils is always a nice guy and a real pleasure to shoot with. He had a squad of really good shooters to push him but not pressure him.