Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Tac30 1-4

ktm300

I just mounted my TAC30 1-4 to my JP CTR-02 today. I used a Larue mount I had sitting in a box and picked up a MGM Switchview over the weekend. It all mounted up great. My first shot with it when I went to zero was only 2" low and 1" right, so getting it dialed in was really quick. And I did not even bore sight it. Went a lot quicker than any other optic I have done before. It got really windy shortly after, so I was only able to shoot about 20 rounds today. It was great for hitting my mini MGM auto poppers at 200. 200 is about as far as I can shoot at the house, until spring.

I am taking it to a class at Frontsight in two days, so I will have at least 600 to 800 rounds through it by the end of the weekend. So far, I think it is going to work out really well.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got mine in after waiting about 2 months for the backorder to be filled.

For $300 it is a very nice scope, I was debating about selling it since I just got a TR24 but I'm keeping it and putting it on a LR-308 which will be used for hogs and deer out to a few hundred yards.

Very happy with the optic, the fact that it's $300 is icing on the cake. It just blows the DMS-1 I had away.

I just got one but haven't mounted it yet. I have mixed opinions so far. Illumination is great, even in bright sun. Turned off the black reticle works fine too. The part I am not crazy about is the fat circle around the reticle. I think it's too thick and blocks off peripheral view around the center dots. I like being able to see around the target and

this seems to clutter it up. For a close target, it probably won't matter as the big circle would just be used as a big dot on the target.

I will mount it on a rifle and try it out at the range. My concerns may be unfounded once

I try it on distant targets.

Craig

I just got one but haven't mounted it yet. I have mixed opinions so far. Illumination is great, even in bright sun. Turned off the black reticle works fine too. The part I am not crazy about is the fat circle around the reticle. I think it's too thick and blocks off peripheral view around the center dots. I like being able to see around the target and

this seems to clutter it up. For a close target, it probably won't matter as the big circle would just be used as a big dot on the target.

I will mount it on a rifle and try it out at the range. My concerns may be unfounded once

I try it on distant targets.

Craig

Except for when I am shooting at 400+ yards, the outer ring does not bother me at all, and I thoguht it would at first. If they made it thinner, the daytime illumination would be reduced. Past 400, it only bother me if I am missing. :ph34r:

Boy, that center dot is big. It's huge compared to the Aimpoint I used to have on there and blocks the Shoot'n'C target pretty well at 200, even 100yds. Haven't shot further yet.

My groups were sub MOD - Minute Of Dot.

Don't let the big dot sway you. It is just under 3 moa and it has crisp edges compared to a RDS. I moved to this from a Leupold MRT and have not looked back.

Here it is in action at LaRue 2011 on stage 6 where there were 4 moa targets at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 480. The holdover dots are pretty close to the 69 SMK at 2800 fps that I was running. I was just lucky to have shot this stage near the end of the day on Saturday and only had a quarter of the wind that the others experienced on Friday and Sunday.

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

Don't let the big dot sway you. It is just under 3 moa and it has crisp edges compared to a RDS. I moved to this from a Leupold MRT and have not looked back.

Here it is in action at LaRue 2011 on stage 6 where there were 4 moa targets at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 480. The holdover dots are pretty close to the 69 SMK at 2800 fps that I was running. I was just lucky to have shot this stage near the end of the day on Saturday and only had a quarter of the wind that the others experienced on Friday and Sunday.

Nice run.

Craig

Fiddler,

FWIW, I ordered a 33mm breakaway coaster but they only had the 30mm in stock so I got that. Needless to say the new design is one piece. The older design seems to be the only one that would work. Therefore I just ordered the scope lever for the TAC-30 from Charlie Drissel.

PM if you want some pics.

Well, I got to finally play with this scope this weekend. The scope definitely is not a true 1x, even at 20 yards...

However, the reticle/clarity makes this scope well worth it!

Edited by midget

I have only one thing to say - it's a question actually:

- anyone want to buy mine?

Just got it day before yesterday & couldn't wait to get to the range.

Yesterday - went.

Huge disappointment.

1) The eye-piece or ocular - whatever you call it - is too "fat". You can't get a good 180d FOV w/ it. It takes up to much space. Makes you think your looking down a rifle-scope!

2 ) Eye relief - goes along w/ #1 - way too close.

3) Reticle is way too busy & takes up too many moa

4) etc.

I thought it might be just me, so I brought my shooting partner to the range this morning & didn't say anything - just handed him the rifle. All his complaints were exactly the same as mine.

This was bought for competition, not bench-rest!

I promise you, if you compete you ain't gonna' like it...but then again "...to each his own."

-jb

Fiddler,

FWIW, I ordered a 33mm breakaway coaster but they only had the 30mm in stock so I got that. Needless to say the new design is one piece. The older design seems to be the only one that would work. Therefore I just ordered the scope lever for the TAC-30 from Charlie Drissel.

PM if you want some pics.

I too ordered the 33mm. They called me to say they only had the "Universal" in stock so I got that. It must be the old version as it has two pieces. It fit the scope and I think it will work ok. It's not on the website so I guess you have to ask for it.

I got mine on Friday noon. I mounted it to the rifle in a PEPR after work and went to the range for a quick zero. I didn't have time for much before dark. I took it to a local Multigun on Saturday morning. I really like this scope-I actually like the big ring for close targets. Both eyes open, ring on target, quick A. I didn't get my zero right though; I was way high at 100 yds (the farthest targets we can get at the local range). And despite practicing with it Friday night I couldn't get the illumination to turn on Sat. (but didn't need it). I would much prefer a dial even if it cost a few more bucks. It seems to work now. Back to the range for more practice and to figure drops. I might even get another one for my .308 AR carbine, although I was looking for a 6X. And I need a cattail.

I got mine on Friday noon. I mounted it to the rifle in a PEPR after work and went to the range for a quick zero. I didn't have time for much before dark. I took it to a local Multigun on Saturday morning. I really like this scope-I actually like the big ring for close targets. Both eyes open, ring on target, quick A. I didn't get my zero right though; I was way high at 100 yds (the farthest targets we can get at the local range). And despite practicing with it Friday night I couldn't get the illumination to turn on Sat. (but didn't need it). I would much prefer a dial even if it cost a few more bucks. It seems to work now. Back to the range for more practice and to figure drops. I might even get another one for my .308 AR carbine, although I was looking for a 6X. And I need a cattail.

I found I had to mess a little with how tightly I screwed down the battery cover/switch cap to get the electrical contact quite right.

Cattail is a must, the zoom ring is very stiff!

I found I had to mess a little with how tightly I screwed down the battery cover/switch cap to get the electrical contact quite right.

Cattail is a must, the zoom ring is very stiff!

+1 on the cat tail. much easier to adjust zoom.

I think you're trying to steer us away from it 'cuz it's so good! :rolleyes:

I thought the opposite of each of your points below- plus I couldn't believe the clarity for the $, it's so bright and clear. Made me think "wow, spent all that money on that NightForce for my LR-308, could've gotten another of these and a few cases of ammo..."

Yesterday - went.

Huge disappointment.

1) The eye-piece or ocular - whatever you call it - is too "fat". You can't get a good 180d FOV w/ it. It takes up to much space. Makes you think your looking down a rifle-scope!

4) etc.

I thought it might be just me, so I brought my shooting partner to the range this morning & didn't say anything - just handed him the rifle. All his complaints were exactly the same as mine.

I promise you, if you compete you ain't gonna' like it...but then again "...to each his own."

-jb

Yesterday - went.

Huge disappointment.

4) etc.

-jb

Remember this is a $300 scope, not a $1500 one. Yes, it is not perfect, yes it could be better, but for an entry level 3gun guy like me I can have one on my STI and one on my TacSol 22 upper for practice for $600+- I may at some point get to be a good enough shooter to need a $1500 - $2000 scope but not yet. We were shooting 8" plates at 300 yards in a match this weekend and I hit them just as fast as the guy that ran before me with the $2000 scope, on the $350 mount on the $2500 AR. Oh yea, I was shooting plane old 55g Federal bulk ammo, he was shooting match grade stuff. I can get a lot more bang for my buck with practice than equipment. Once my game gets up to the level to need that type of equipment I will buy it. For now I just don't know any better and don't want to. Well not wanting to is not exactly true.

His setup looked a lot better than mine for sure.

Edited by ktm300

I'm satisfied with my present optics but considering something different for backup AR. Looking at the Burris as one of the options. Question though, are the turrets covered by the caps? I prefer turrets that can not turn without removing caps or lockable.