Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mec-Gar Factory Mags

david s

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully they will have a new part number so they do not get confused with any older style mags.

I called Mec-Gar USA and got the part number for the new 9mm mags.

Part - MGWIT9SFAFC

UPC - 765595750005

'Available in March' is what I was told.

The new MecGar mags look completely different. Several of us have posted pics. And according to the EAA person I talked to on the phone, all the 9mm mags from EAA are the new MecGar mags. When I said "I want to make sure I'm getting the new MecGar mags" the lady replied "yes that's the only ones we have now". 2 of us have ordered them and both received the new ones.

And trust me they are top notch. The only (possible) downside is the semi-permanent spacer. With the old mags I could drill and punch out the old spacer and I made some full length spacers so I could run 21 rounds with the stock follower. The new spacers are more permanent, so I'll need to modify my Henning 141 basepads so they have a spacer in them that matches the mag spacer so the follower wont snag.

- Nealio

Edited by Nealio

Man I try to keep everyone up to date with my findings, but nobody seems to read them.. ;)

Yes the Henning pads work. No you don't need an extra power spring (the included spring is actually the size and length of the Grams 11 coil spring I had to run before).

You can only load 21 rounds with the stock follower (20 if you try to insert the mag into a gun with the slide forward), or the follower WILL SNAG ON THE SPACER (rendering the mag useless until you take a cleaning rod or something similar and push the follower down and forward). I'm working on a solution for this but haven't had time to perfect it yet, sorry.

I plan on getting to it this weekend maybe.

I've ran ~600-800 rounds through mine with only 1 misfeed (which I think was caused due to a burr on the rim of the top round snagging on the round below it).

Happy shooting.

- Nealio

I received two of the new 9mm mags yesterday. Trying them in my Elite Match I found that they would only lock in place with a lot of force. Thought I might have to open up the mag catch slot, but upon further investigation found that the base plate was hitting on the bottom of the grip frame. A little bit of time with some 120 grit snadpaper and all is well now. Hope to try them out for function in the next couple of days.

I just ordered 3 of the new mags. I hope they work with my Henning base pads. Has anyone used these and do you need to get longer or heavier springs than the new stock ones?

Range report on the new 9mm mags. They work!!!! Much better quality including the springs, followers, and mag. Put 200 rounds thru 3 of them with no problems. I switched the base pads out for Hennings for my magwell. I can get 19 in them without too much pushing and 20 if I really try. Seems to hang up a little when I put 20 in them. The springs are a lot stiffer than the old ones. I hope the 40's come out soon for you guys. They are definetly worth the wait.

Henning got it all right in his post dated 12/31.

All mags that EAA sells or supplies with their new pistols will have the Tangfolio Logo stamped in the mag pad, No Mec-Gar stamped on the tube. It seems like Eaa is alredy selling the 9mm large frame.

The first .40 large frame mag will be shipped with the March(late) delivery from Tan. to EAA. I would assume EAA will also import the Large frame .40 mags to sell in their web-store at the same time. These mags and all other calibers will be marked Tangfolio only.

Mec-Gar is 4 weeks behind Tan. importing their propritary marked mags. They had to re-tool so that the M-G logo was on the mag pad and tube. Their paying customer (Tangfolio) business came first. So it could be early April before we see a Mec-Gar packaged mag.

The only difference between the two mags is that each brand will have its own stamping on the mag pad and tube. Followers might be a different color. The M-G brand always sells for considerable less than the identical Factory mag. Both will have the AFC coating (applied in Germany).

10mm mag tooling is already done but will be marketed as a Tan/Eaa mag only. M-G feels that there is not enough 10mm large frame business in the US (min. 2000 mag production run) so Eaa will be the sole distributor for M-G,s 10mm mag. It will carry an Tan. logo only. Lets hope June!

I just ordered a Witness-p from Davidsons and it came with the old, crappy mag. They must have had a bunch left in stock.

Has anyone dealt with Davidsons before? I wonder if I can get them to send me one of the good mags since the new guns were supposed to be shipping with the MecGar mags?

• 2 weeks later...

:surprise:

HMMMM guess ya all are going to be asking about a 170 mags out of these new 9mm mags ,needs a look see I suppose :blink::rolleyes:

jig makeing time. :D

jim/Pa

Sailors

Heck I just want 140mm .40S&W mags to work with factory ammo so I can run WWB when I can't get an order in for long ammo