Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mec-Gar Factory Mags

david s

I have nine Mec-Gar mags (OEM for Sig, with Sig stamped on one side and Mec-gar stamped on the other ) that run through my CZ Shadow & Sig 226 with 0% issues. A very well made and totally funtional mag at 1/2 the price of factory mags.

I bought a Witness Hunter 10mm ( 6" barrel ) and the factory mags just suck. I called Mec-Gar USA and spoke with David (VP) to see if Mec-Gar could help with a 10mm mag. Production wll start 1/03/11. All frames and all calibers will be produced. The 40s&w and 9mm mags will have their new AFC ( anti friction coating ), I forgot to ask about the 10mm. He said CDNN will probale have the best prices.

We are 45 days out from a very simple solution to Mag issues in our EAA guns.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it a coincidence that production was starting on 1-3-11 or did he talk with the factory?? From what I understand Mec-Gar USA imports the mags from the factory in Europe, they are not actually made here. Maybe I'm mistaken. None the less, this is great news.

Was it a coincidence that production was starting on 1-3-11 or did he talk with the factory?? From what I understand Mec-Gar USA imports the mags from the factory in Europe, they are not actually made here. Maybe I'm mistaken. None the less, this is great news.

The VP of Mec-Gar USA ( david ) talks with the owner in italy once or twice a week. The sole job of the Two employees at M-G USA is to repackage the mags they recieve from the Italian factory and distribute to their wholesalers in the US. M-G USA is owned 100 % by the parent company in Italy.

The new AFC .40 was to go into production Now but the the owner of Tangfolio and the owner of Mec-Gar had been talking about Mec-Gar making the mags for tangfolio again. So that is now a Done Deal! Production has been pushed back until 1/3/11 ( first day the factory is back to work in the new year ) so that M-G can retool the 10mm also and have both the .40 and 10mm go into production at the same time. Lets just hope the 10mm mag is a AFC mag also.

I thought the Mec-Gar AFC mags worked so well in my CZ Shadow that i sold the four factoy mags i owned and bought six Mec-Gars and put $ in my pocket!

Edited by david s

I already run MegGar mags in my Tanfoglio... ;)

Seriously though, this is great news. I'd love to put my small frame magazine conversion project on hold and just buy MecGar mags that were designed for the platform. :)

• 3 weeks later...

All mags after 1/1/11 will not be Mec-Gar only. There's a lot of mags in the pipeline so you'll have to ask/check what kind of mags they are. Also, the new factory mags (made by Mec-Gar) will probably not be marked Mec-Gar. But the design i assume will be distinctively different enough that you can identify who made them.

Also.. the first magazine project that Mec-Gar is working on for the factory is the large frame 9mm. I've been told they are going onto the 40 S&W large frame mags next and possibly the other calibers. We'll just have to wait and see. One baby step at a time.

And by the way.. Tanfoglio is no newcomer to Mec-Gar. They helped Mec-Gar get started decades ago..

All mags after 1/1/11 will not be Mec-Gar only. There's a lot of mags in the pipeline so you'll have to ask/check what kind of mags they are. Also, the new factory mags (made by Mec-Gar) will probably not be marked Mec-Gar. But the design i assume will be distinctively different enough that you can identify who made them.

Also.. the first magazine project that Mec-Gar is working on for the factory is the large frame 9mm. I've been told they are going onto the 40 S&W large frame mags next and possibly the other calibers. We'll just have to wait and see. One baby step at a time.

And by the way.. Tanfoglio is no newcomer to Mec-Gar. They helped Mec-Gar get started decades ago..

Are you going to be stocking the new MecGar mags?

What difference in the Mec-Gar mags will cure the Tanfo mag problems? I just bought a Witness Limited in .40 and debating should I wait to buy the Mec-Gar mags or just buy the Henning mags? What do you guys think?

In the 9mm versions, the CZ mag design has a tighter taper than the Tanfoglio mags where it transitions from double to single stack, making it better for reloaded rounds. I would hope they apply this to the Tanfoglio mags and not just copy the original design. Other than that the only thing that would be "better" is the MecGar coating.

- Nealio

Will the Mec-Gar mags fix the .40 mag issues ie. nose dives and every other problem the Witness Limited has mag wise. I love my Witness Limited but even with Atlanta Arms 1.180 .40 ammo I still have nose dives with the factory .40 mag with Hennings base pad and follower kit (21). Iam going to wait to see if the Mec-Gar mags fixes the problem before I buy Hennings 10mm mags.

I don't know why this will be so difficult. Take the 9mm original factory chrome mag that came with the guns and duplicate it. I have thousands of rounds thru mine with no problems and regularily load it to 15 plus rounds. It works, it is always the aftermarket mags with the shim plates either front or back that seems to cause the problems. Even those I have figured out how to tune and make work most of the time.

The pics of the mags I saw were VERY different. They look like the mags out of my buddy's new H&K P30 (Which I think are made by Mec-Gar as well).

They have a much tighter transition from double to single stack.

post-23941-049982300 1294682446_thumb.jp

H&K P30 Magazine:

IMGP1063.JPG

Edited by Nealio

I think someone may have got some of the new mags already from EAA. Hopefully they will post their findings soon. ;)

Need more intel please...

I pretty much swore off Tanfo's after fighting with mag BS for long enough, this might change that...

Here are a couple of photos of the large frame 9mm magazines from Tanfoglio and EAA.

The chrome magazine came with my Limited gun. It runs without a problem, but it may be the only one that does. ;-)

The new mags have spacers in the rear and a distinctly different transition from double stack to single stack.

Also, if you have a Limited gun, you will need to change the base pads.

I have not taken these to the range yet, so who knows if they will run. If not, Aaron Neal has the solution and I'll go down that road.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

post-2561-061437100 1294702963_thumb.jpg

post-2561-014943300 1294702987_thumb.jpg

I suspect they will run good. In fact I'm going to order some tomorrow and hopefully find out soon myself. :)

And the base pad issue is the same with the old mags. You have to run either the one that came with the gun or one of Hennings.

Wow! I need a new barrel on my 38sc open gun. I'm wondering if I should delay until we learn if these mag work. But then what do I do with all my 38sc mags?

Of course, no big stick...

Edited by Jeff686

I suspect they will run good. In fact I'm going to order some tomorrow and hopefully find out soon myself. :)

And the base pad issue is the same with the old mags. You have to run either the one that came with the gun or one of Hennings.

Do you have the Mec Gar 9mm part number?

EAA has them in stock at 3 for $75.

You have to place an order to get them. :rolleyes:

We are having some weather issues here in VA for the next day or two. As soon as I can get to the range, I'll make a range report. If they don't run, I'll have them on sale.

Best regards,

Jim