Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best powder/primer for 9mm

cali shot doc

What are you shooting it in? If you're loading 9mm minor, I'd stay away from those 115 grain bullets before I'd worry about the powder you're using.

My preference is the heaviest bullet that is practical for a caliber with the fastest possible powder. For 9mm, that's 147 grain bullets, Solo 1000, and usually a Federal primer.

I've had a lot of problems with Wolf small pistol primers and I'll never buy them again.

I have had good luck with Winchester and Federal, and I have loaded a lot of CCIs as well.

Edited by twodownzero

I use 4gr titegroup under 125gr bullets in 9mm. I just got some n320, to try out. I've read it doesn't burn as hot, and can increase barrel longevity. But, the real reason is I've tried everything else, and I like to try stuff!

I'm currently hooked on N320. Very clean, cool burning and soft shooting. I have had no problems with Wolf, though mine were from the older lots that were brass colored. I use Win small pistol primers now as the Wolf are all gone. I have used Fed and CCI with no problems also.

I'm currently hooked on N320. Very clean, cool burning and soft shooting. I have had no problems with Wolf, though mine were from the older lots that were brass colored. I use Win small pistol primers now as the Wolf are all gone. I have used Fed and CCI with no problems also.

I was very happy with the old Wolf primers, which were $90 per 5k and worked flawlessly. In fact, my carry ammo is loaded with them.

Unfortunately the new silver ones sucked, and I have a bunch of them that I have to figure out how to dispose of. I won't load them into ammo. I had one that went off halfway. The bullet cleared the barrel but the gun didn't cycle. After that, I pulled all of that ammo.

Edited by twodownzero

What are you shooting it in? If you're loading 9mm minor, I'd stay away from those 115 grain bullets before I'd worry about the powder you're using.

My preference is the heaviest bullet that is practical for a caliber with the fastest possible powder. For 9mm, that's 147 grain bullets, Solo 1000, and usually a Federal primer.

I've had a lot of problems with Wolf small pistol primers and I'll never buy them again.

I have had good luck with Winchester and Federal, and I have loaded a lot of CCIs as well.

i just prefer 115g fmj over 125g. Idk why but it just feels better and i'm more confident with the 115g. I've only shot maybe 50 147g rounds which i was testing to see what worked best in my gun for selfdefense.

I saw at powdervalleyinc that if you got 10,000 tula primers they would cover the hazmat fee and was wondering if they are any good?

i just prefer 115g fmj over 125g. Idk why but it just feels better and i'm more confident with the 115g. I've only shot maybe 50 147g rounds which i was testing to see what worked best in my gun for selfdefense.

I saw at powdervalleyinc that if you got 10,000 tula primers they would cover the hazmat fee and was wondering if they are any good?

Different people like different recoil sensations. If you prefer/shoot better with 115 grain bullets, go for it!

Tula are the same as Wolf primers. There have been mixed reviews on them.

Even though I've been running Titegroup, for 9mm minor loads for years, I've been playing around with 320, and I think I'm going to switch to it. For major loads, in my open gun, I use N-350.

i just prefer 115g fmj over 125g. Idk why but it just feels better and i'm more confident with the 115g.

Someday you might change your mind but confidence is what it is all about. Shoot what you like.:)

Plus you get alot more bullets for the same price by running 115's!:cheers:

I was very happy with the old Wolf primers, which were $90 per 5k and worked flawlessly. In fact, my carry ammo is loaded with them.

Dear God man, that's silly. I'll give you some factory carry ammo if you'll stop carrying handloads...and I'm not just saying that! There is absolutely no reason for anybody to carry handloads....I can go on and on why, but I think the fact that I'd offer up free ammo, says I've got a painfully long description of what it's a bad idea (many reasons). R,

Hello: I took my 12 year old son out today on our practice day and he shot the Glock 34. We had lots of problems with the 147's loaded from 126.5-131PF(two different loads). I then switched to Montana Gold 115 JHP's and he had no problems. For him the 115's worked great. The power factor of the 115's is 131 as well. A good load for a shorter barreled pistol like the Glock 17 is 4.5 grains of Tite Group, Winchester small pistol primers, and loaded to 1.140" overall length. That load makes 131PF. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I'm old school and stubborn, I use Unique and Bullseye, not the best, not even close to the cleanest, but cheap and readily available at most local shops. I think I might try Titegrooup next. Been Using WInchester, CCI and some old Remington primers. And Gan Bart beat me to it, never ever carry hand loads for defense.

Hello: I took my 12 year old son out today on our practice day and he shot the Glock 34. We had lots of problems with the 147's loaded from 126.5-131PF(two different loads). I then switched to Montana Gold 115 JHP's and he had no problems. For him the 115's worked great. The power factor of the 115's is 131 as well. A good load for a shorter barreled pistol like the Glock 17 is 4.5 grains of Tite Group, Winchester small pistol primers, and loaded to 1.140" overall length. That load makes 131PF. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

That's common for a G34 with heavy bullets...run them up to 135+ PF and the problems seem to go away. The 115s and a bit more powder have that extra zip to them to push them over the edge and let them run. The gas leaving is going faster, so the jet-effect back into the slide is a bit higher (which is why they feel snappier at the same PF).

More importantly, he's 12 and you've only got him shooting Minor? Please, at 12 we're expecting him to be handling 200PF pin gun loads like they were Airsoft rounds.....get with the program brother. :lol:

Hello: I listed my 115 load above. G-Man the loads work fine when I shot them :surprise: He has a good stance and can shoot just fine. I was thinking maybe the 147's were pushing him back kinda like a body limp wrist. He is kinda on the light side. I have to keep him shooting minor since he will be beating my a$$ soon enough :roflol: G=Man I do appreciate the info :cheers: Thanks, Eric

So I went on hodgdon's site to look at their reloading data and for titegroup 115g it only has 115g LRN and 115g SPR GDHP. I would be using 115g FMJ so could I still use the data they have for Grains of Powder and C.O.L.?

Don't use data for lead bullets when loading jacketed, but you'd probably be fine using the data for the Speer GDHP...slight difference in profile, but if you started low and worked up, it would be okay. Get yourself a copy of Loadbooks "One Book/One Caliber" and it has all the data from the major bullet and powder manufacturers in one place....something like $15, and well worth it. It's not a "manual" as it doesn't describe loading technique, theory etc, but it does have a lot of data in one place.

Sierra lists a 115gr FMJ with TG at 1.100", Min 3.7gr for 1000fps and Max of 4.5gr for 1150fps.

Speer lists data for a 115gr TMJ (essentially an FMJ with covered base) at 1.135", Min 4.1gr for 1061fps and Max 4.5gr for 1121fps.

I've reloaded and shot over 25K Wolf primers and never had one not go bang!

I've reloaded and shot over 25K Wolf primers and never had one not go bang!

Consider yourself lucky. There was a long thread on here about them last year. I shot 16,000 of them without a single malfunction. Then I bought more and a whole bunch of them didn't go off. Wideners bought them back from me and I've been using Federals ever since.

I really wish they'd bring back the primers they had. They were great before they screwed them up--and CHEAP!!

Edited by twodownzero

Dear God man, that's silly. I'll give you some factory carry ammo if you'll stop carrying handloads...and I'm not just saying that! There is absolutely no reason for anybody to carry handloads....I can go on and on why, but I think the fact that I'd offer up free ammo, says I've got a painfully long description of what it's a bad idea (many reasons). R,

I carry my handloads. I also load ammo for a living.

Welcome!

Few general personal beliefs:

Whichever bullet weight you choose, please load LONG (out to 1.140" to 1.155") unless you have a 75, such as a CZ 75. For some reason, the 75 seems to often feed better with a shorter, book-reference OAL.

For Minor, you want a powder at the FAST end of the chart to create a soft load. Medium and slow powders work for hotter ammo or 9Major.

Single base powders seem to burn cooler than double base. I use Solo 1000. I have used & like the Vihta Vouri powder (not crazy about the price though). Double base = titegroup, bullseye, etc.

If your load does not meet your accuracy expectations, first try switching to bullets sized to .356 instead of .355.

I've loaded bullets in 9mm from 90 grns to 180 grns (yep - 180. Bob King used to sell those). I recommend anything from 147 down to 124 (provided the 124s are close to 125 to 130 PF.

Big fan of Federals due to fact that many of my guns have lightened springs & Federals are the easiest to set off. I hate CCI for that reason. My "old wolf" copper colored primers are great. Might go back to Federals now though. Winchester were also great primers. Never tried Remmies.

Please ask more questions; the be.com community is very helpful.