Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UNSAFE STORE OWNERS

Panic Flinch

Hi all...few years back went into a small local gun store in WV. Asked to see a goregeous, HUGE Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum revolver. Clerk said...naaa....lemme show you this other one...and went to a case behind a sliding wooden door. Pulled this HUGE revolver out of a box and handed it to me. I felt the weight...admired the stainless steel and long, long barrel... and boy did I want to feel that trigger. Lined up the sights at the only safe direction I could find in the store, started to pull then thought...hmmm...lemme check this. (He did not). Yep...you guessed it...opened cylinder to find...FIVE HUGE BULLETS! I calmly dumped them and handed to them back to him....his eyes got big. Then he started with the "Im sorries". I continued to admire the gun and stated its ok..."I treat every weapon as if it was loaded". All the while Im thinking ...this guy is a dorkenhouser. I have come to second guess the folks behind the counter... I want to be polite...but dog gone...sometimes they seem like they want to belittle and humiliate the customers with their "vast knowledge" as opposed to being meticulously safe and providing calm, tranquil, and comforting advise with a customer who is going through a nerve wracking purchasing process of a weapon. If I owned a store, I would be extremely grateful and polite to the customers...I would never belittle them or try to show them how "stupid" they are. There are so many ways to give great advise especially with safety, without belittling them. But I am not an owner...so maybe there is a side of the customer relations that I do not see. Oh well... Be safe...quietly second guess everyone. Regards, GM

Funny I've recently had a similar experience.

In my area a Husband/Wife team opened up what seems to be a pretty nice little store front for firearms.

I decided to stop in a few weeks ago during their grand opening week. I walked in and was the only customer at the time.. husband was on the phone with a differnet customer and the wife asks if she can help. I chit chatted with her for a few and mentioned i was just looking around. Well she wanted to show me a couple of things... so I asked about a shotgun, she promptly replied that it was a used shotgun.. something that she believed they got in on trade that very day (Benelli Nova). She hands it to me and I check the tube... I look over at the wife and say Mam did you know this was loaded. She replied with "I dont doubt it we just got it in on trade". So I asked her if she wanted to unload it or if she wanted to me to. She replied saying she didnt know how to unload it and that I could. I start removing the shells.. and I look up and tell her this thing is fully loaded.. around this time the husband gets off the phone. Comes out of the office.. "whoa whoa whoa.. women we are gonna have to talk". He looks at me and says "it's loaded because it's my gun".

This shot gun was on the rack with the rest, no different than the others next to it fully loaded and off safe. Could of been a very bad day if someone else was handling that firearm.

Its amazing being on the other side of the counter as well. I helped a buddy out and it would amaze you how many people would whip a gun out and start jamming it in a holster to check for fit, even better was when they were corrected and asked to do it with an unlaoded gun they would whip out a badge and say its ok im a cop(training center for the state was 3 miles away) :wacko: . Its amazing how many people would bring unloaded guns in to be worked on trade in etcc andwhen we checked it a round bouncedoff the counter

There is one store I was in a while back where every single gun I could see on display had a bright yellow chamber flag in it. And if you wanted to look at a gun, they had some targets up high on the walls you could sight on. Not a bad idea if you ask me.

I work in a large gunshop and we have a vault that we keep the guns in (old style bank building 20' x 20' vault, cage door for day use and 2Tons of Steel for night time) we let customers in there and they can look at the guns without a staff member hovering behind them (no bags and no ammo allowed in), keeps them playing with them for longer might sell more. Every Monday (and sometimes other days for fun) we go round and decock the rifles open them up and check, then close them with the striker forward. 64 is the record of guns left closed and cocked. :surprise: