Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 MGM Ironman

Is it certain that there will be a 3-Gun nation shoot-off next year? Seeing that this year's exceptional interest might have been (at least in part) because of the show, maybe if there isnt a show next year, interest will drop off a tad?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it certain that there will be a 3-Gun nation shoot-off next year? Seeing that this year's exceptional interest might have been (at least in part) because of the show, maybe if there isnt a show next year, interest will drop off a tad?

The guys at 3GN told me they had a great time at the match and appreciated the hospitality of the staff AND the shooters. They told me last year, they'd be back as long as we'd have them, so I think the answer is yes. Another great testament to what an awesome group of shooters we have at Ironman.

Adios,

TG

I wonder if another option would be to increase the match fees slightly and hire workers to score and reset? You should be able to run more shooters through in the same amount of time (which would also help pay for the workers) if you have a small army of people to reset.

Personally, I'd prefer to have one longer match and shoot two stages either early, or late, each day over having two matches. That way I could get some work done back at the hotel each day and wouldnt have to use up that much vacation. A Tue-Thu match would most likely mean travel on Mon and Fri, forcing me to take the full week off.

Edited by gose

Personally, I'd prefer to have one longer match and shoot two stages either early, or late, each day over having two matches. That way I could get some work done back at the hotel each day and wouldnt have to use up that much vacation. A Tue-Thu match would most likely mean travel on Mon and Fri, forcing me to take the full week off.

My thinking too. Being self employed a week off is really though especially since the wife doesn't go and doesn't considered shooting a vacation :P

My thinking too. Being self employed a week off is really though especially since the wife doesn't go and doesn't considered shooting a vacation :P

My second option would be to adapt my equipment to shoot the match that goes over the weekend.

I like the two match format. I'd love to shoot Trooper and Open or Scoped Tact depending on the breakdown. If 3 Gun Nation is coming how would that work for the shootoff? Two separate or one after the end? You wouldn't need to use the same RO's for both matches. I'm sure there might be some folks willing to shoot one and work the other. Different matches, you don't have to worry about having the same RO from match to match. Between this and the Grand Nationals, looks like I'll be in Idaho for a while this year.

Hey Trav,

Great idea!

Just a couple of things that occurred to me;

If it were one match 6 days long a guy could shoot 1 division the first 3 days and another the next 3 days or work 3 days then shoot 3 days & there are other options too. It would also be possible to shoot any of the 3 days he wanted as long as shooters could be spread out over the 6 days. The shooters who will likely be chosen for the 3GN shoot-off would want to be there for the last 3 days I would guess.

As for the prize table problem I think you guys had the answer several years ago in making the prizes as close as possible in value and putting them in a black duffel bag. I liked it that way since I'm usually in the middle of the pack when scores come out and it was kinda fun not knowing what I was getting. That way a shooter could finish, go to the cargo trailer, choose a bag and head home. Results would be posted when the match was over. If you wanted to do something extra for the top guys you could. As popular as the Ironman is I’ll bet many will be there for the whole thing anyway.

Not sure what I can pull off time wise but I would like to be a part of it again.

My $.02 worth,

WoooHoo !!!!!!!! We are all on TV now; this little sport has hit the big time,

This is the most money on the table that any of us has seen for the sport of 3 Gun in a long time . . .if ever,

. . . . . And because of this there will be some hard decisions to be made by the MD's, Sponsors and the "Average Joes & Jane’s who shoot this game,

One of those decisions us average Joe’s & Jane’s will have to make soon will be if they will continue to play now that the playing field is getting bigger and more difficult to just get in. yes we average Joe’s and Jane’s will get to shoot with more of the big names in the sport but it now looks like we might be starting to exceed our discretionary income allotment (the money our Spouses allow us to shoot with) to be able to participate.

The big names will start to grab sponsor slots that were not there a few years ago, pushing a fewer spots away from the average shooters. (The sponsors with the truck load of prizes & money will insist) There will be fierce competition just to get in, there will be a huge push for the MD's to cram more & more shooters through those three days “just make the stages smaller” those with the money & prizes will say . . . “but the match we have now is just the way we like it. This is why it is such an epic test of shooting skill and personal fortitude” we reply.

The MD's will have to balance this with keeping their match viable and (dare I say) a little bit profitable.

Some of the issues that are being faced and the options that are available are mentioned in the prior posts. Some will work some will not

And the final decision made by the MD’s will piss off most of us.

Change from our comfort zone does that to us.

I’m one of those Big shooters (I’ve got more X’s in the label of my britches than a good Jenna Jamison movie) but I’m not one of the Big Names. . . . I enjoy a good road trip to a Major match with my friends, the ones I shoot with every month, The Deputy, The Old Guy, The SWAT Guy, The Puma, The Factory Rep Guy . . . yes even The Wonder Twins. I would hate to think that the match lay out would preclude us from shooting as a group. As it is now some of us get to go to some matches and some don’t, some stay on the waiting list and some don’t even try.

The winning argument will be put forth “That if you are serious enough about this you will sacrifice to get there; if you’re not willing you’re not going”.

I think the bar that defined the “average shooter” that made this match popular, famous & epic is about to move higher.

I don’t want to be left out, I want to play, but we all will have to play by the new rules.

Travis and all of the other MD’s out there, I don’t envy your decisions that need to be made before the end of the year for next year’s matches, just don’t forget all of us little guys (or for some not so little)

I would be willing to RO the Open match for a guaranteed slot in the Tac-Ops match.

I would be willing to shoot over 4 days.

These are my opinions and they are worth what you’ve paid for them just now . . . and I’m probably wrong, but there you go.

6 days of shooting...plus set-up and tear down...are you TRYING to kill the RO's?!?

You know what, I bet most of us will do it, regardless of the risks.

Guess I had better start the conditioning program now.

And how could anyone find a vehicle that could handle 2 Ironman's worth of ammo? :P

Travis,

Coming in late to the discussion but how about doing it like Area 1. Match goes for 6-7 days and you pick the three or four time slots that your going to shoot from the available slots. Say, I will shoot Tues morning, Wed eveing, Thrus morning for example, or all day wed,

Thrus moring, Fri evening. Prizes and shoot off on Sun eve for everyone, give your prize table ticket to a friend if ness ?? First come first serve of course, all day Fri and all day Sat will fill up first ?? Just a thought ..

Edited by el pres

OK. Guess I should have been a little more clear on the dates. I'm just using those as an example. As soon as I get things dialed in a little more it will probably be something more like Sunday-Tuesday for the first match and Thursday-Saturday for the second match. That way everyone will have one day of the weekend available for a travel day. Does this help any?

Adis,

TG

Travis,

Even though it was my squad last year shooting with the aid of truck headlights, I still enjoyed the match (I was the next to last shooter on that stage). No matter what you decide my shooting buddies and I will be there. It would be nice if heavy metal and trooper ran at the same time (if you see fit to have a heavy metal division). But even if we are shooting on different days, or in different squads, I will still be there to shoot, and will help R.O. If needed. I do like the idea of a 6 day match, if the squads could be kept small so that you could shoot five stages a day.

Thanks!

Travis,

Coming in late to the discussion but how about doing it like Area 1. Match goes for 6-7 days and you pick the three or four time slots that your going to shoot from the available slots. Say, I will shoot Tues morning, Wed eveing, Thrus morning for example, or all day wed,

Thrus moring, Fri evening. Prizes and shoot off on Sun eve for everyone, give your prize table ticket to a friend if ness ?? First come first serve of course, all day Fri and all day Sat will fill up first ?? Just a thought ..

I really like this idea, but then I WOULD have to find ro's for the entire match who'd have to be there for the entire time. I'm going to give this some more thought. I might be able to do something with this.

Adios,

TG

WoooHoo !!!!!!!! We are all on TV now; this little sport has hit the big time,

This is the most money on the table that any of us has seen for the sport of 3 Gun in a long time . . .if ever,

. . . . . And because of this there will be some hard decisions to be made by the MD's, Sponsors and the "Average Joes & Jane's who shoot this game,

One of those decisions us average Joe's & Jane's will have to make soon will be if they will continue to play now that the playing field is getting bigger and more difficult to just get in. yes we average Joe's and Jane's will get to shoot with more of the big names in the sport but it now looks like we might be starting to exceed our discretionary income allotment (the money our Spouses allow us to shoot with) to be able to participate.

The big names will start to grab sponsor slots that were not there a few years ago, pushing a fewer spots away from the average shooters. (The sponsors with the truck load of prizes & money will insist) There will be fierce competition just to get in, there will be a huge push for the MD's to cram more & more shooters through those three days "just make the stages smaller" those with the money & prizes will say . . . "but the match we have now is just the way we like it. This is why it is such an epic test of shooting skill and personal fortitude" we reply.

The MD's will have to balance this with keeping their match viable and (dare I say) a little bit profitable.

Some of the issues that are being faced and the options that are available are mentioned in the prior posts. Some will work some will not

And the final decision made by the MD's will piss off most of us.

Change from our comfort zone does that to us.

I'm one of those Big shooters (I've got more X's in the label of my britches than a good Jenna Jamison movie) but I'm not one of the Big Names. . . . I enjoy a good road trip to a Major match with my friends, the ones I shoot with every month, The Deputy, The Old Guy, The SWAT Guy, The Puma, The Factory Rep Guy . . . yes even The Wonder Twins. I would hate to think that the match lay out would preclude us from shooting as a group. As it is now some of us get to go to some matches and some don't, some stay on the waiting list and some don't even try.

The winning argument will be put forth "That if you are serious enough about this you will sacrifice to get there; if you're not willing you're not going".

I think the bar that defined the "average shooter" that made this match popular, famous & epic is about to move higher.

I don't want to be left out, I want to play, but we all will have to play by the new rules.

Travis and all of the other MD's out there, I don't envy your decisions that need to be made before the end of the year for next year's matches, just don't forget all of us little guys (or for some not so little)

I would be willing to RO the Open match for a guaranteed slot in the Tac-Ops match.

I would be willing to shoot over 4 days.

These are my opinions and they are worth what you've paid for them just now . . . and I'm probably wrong, but there you go.

I love your take on the situation. Thanks for the good thoughts and support. One thing about it, if we did two matches, we'd have plenty of room for some "special guests".

Adios,

TG

I'm with Chuck.....Trooper and Open sounds like a great way to spend a week in Idaho :cheers:

My god Travis you are like Wile E. Coyote.... A Super GEEEEEENIUS :goof:

HAHA!! Thanks man. I'm still working it over, so we'll see what happens. I was sort of thinking the same thing myself though. Scoped Tactical and Trooper. I love shooting Trooper. It's the only time I get to shoot all my good stuff!! Now I might not have to choose!!

Adios,

TG

expand the match time frame. instead of it being 3 days with 150 shooters (example), make it 6 days with 300 shooters. one entry per person. if youre in the first 150 and have to leave before prizes at the end, drop off your FFL info and enough funds to cover shipping what you might win, designate a person who will be there at the end to hit the prize table for you.

I am really not in favor of this idea, it would make the match way to long for people with work and family constraints to attend the match.

Even though I would be one of the guys that would like to shoot more than one division, if you are trying to make it open to more shooters if you go with the nationals type senario and shoot some divisions on one set of days and another a few days later, why not only allow a shooter to shoot the match once. That way more people could shoot the match, which is what I think you were trying to accomplish. This would also spread out the prizes to more shooters so the top guys wouldn't win the best prizes in more than one division. Shoot the bigest divisions on the second set of days, if they fill up and the first set of days has spots left you can fill in with the other divisions. Guys who would not have made it in and want to shoot the earlier days suck it up if the weather is bad, and can have someone pick a prize for them if they head home early. just a thought. After running some bigger matches myself the one thing I learned early on was someone will usually whine and bitch about something. Usually the people that dont help run their local matches or ever RO are the ones to complain. You do what is bets for you and your guys, and makes the match enjoyable for the masses. I have heard great things about this match, and this is the first year I could even possibly get off for it, so I would be happy with anything you do.

Hey, Travis -

Just a couple of thoughts. Complexity is usually the enemy for events like this. I'm sure I don't understand everything that goes into MDing a match like this, but I imagine that between ROs, stage design / setup, sponsors, materiel, TV, takedown, etc., that your hands are pretty full! Add to that the questions around expanding the event 3 or 4 more days, perhaps needing either more ROs or to have ROs stay longer, allowing people to shoot the match twice and all of the other nuances that have been discussed, and it seems like there's real potential for mayhem.

I definitely appreciate what you're trying to do in letting more people shoot the match. At the same time, many other big matches have waiting lists. I think most people "get" this and understand that they need to act quickly if they want a spot.

I'll support whatever you decide and hope to see you again at MGM 2011.

Vic

Hey, Travis -

Just a couple of thoughts. Complexity is usually the enemy for events like this. I'm sure I don't understand everything that goes into MDing a match like this, but I imagine that between ROs, stage design / setup, sponsors, materiel, TV, takedown, etc., that your hands are pretty full! Add to that the questions around expanding the event 3 or 4 more days, perhaps needing either more ROs or to have ROs stay longer, allowing people to shoot the match twice and all of the other nuances that have been discussed, and it seems like there's real potential for mayhem.

I definitely appreciate what you're trying to do in letting more people shoot the match. At the same time, many other big matches have waiting lists. I think most people "get" this and understand that they need to act quickly if they want a spot.

I'll support whatever you decide and hope to see you again at MGM 2011.

Vic

These are all good thoughts Vic and are all being HEAVILY considered and finding the RO's is definately going to be an issue for the second match. All the RO's that usually come are there for 6-7 days anyway so it isn't too big of a deal, I just have to make SURE I'm able to make it happen. Thanks for your support Vic. Take care.

Adios,

TG

If there is a 3GN shootoff, how would that work? If you made the shoot off you would have to come back for that at the end of the 6 days???

This is one of the issues we are trying to sort out. We'll see what happens.

Adios,

TG