Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith & Wesson 1911 Pro Series

Fredericianer

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about investing in a 1911 type pistol and have just seen that a local dealer has a Smith and Wesson 1911 Pro Series. It looks very nice indeed, but is really on the edge of my price threshhold at present (it's almost twice as much as a Glock or Cz!. Does anyone here have any experience with these pistols? Is any modification necessary to make them competetive, or are they ready to roll from the box? Do regular Colt 1911 magazines fit?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

Jeff

I have a S&W 1911PD and it's been a great gun. No problems with the external extractor that I know of like some other manufacturer's have had in the past. I would not hesitate to buy one. If there ever was a problem, S&W customer service is top notch IMO.

I wouldn't put the external extractor down so quick. I have Caspian slide w/external extractor. Never had any problem. Brass is positively extracted. It has the longer extractor arm like the Smith Wesson version. If you have had some personal bad external extractor problems or problems w/S&W 1911 Pro's like the O.P asked...please tells us. Just saying "can't get past the external extractor" doesn't add much to the discussion.

John

Smith 1911s get generally favorable reviews, but I'd wind up changing far too much to buy one.

It depends on what your definition of competitive is. If you're new to the sport, they probably don't need much...a magwell and maybe a trigger job along with a lighter recoil spring (if you're using handloads). A more seasoned shooter will probably want to make more changes as they want specific details like a particular front sight blade width, maybe sensitize or deactivate the grip safety, almost definitely get a trigger job, etc. Not that those things are major, but they're pretty common.

Yes, standard 1911 magazines will work. R,

I love my Pro Series. it is a terrific firearm, with 0 problems. the only issue I had, when I bought it, they sent me the wrong magazines... they came with 45 acp mags, not 9mm. lol. a quick call corrected that.

I've had two S&W PD's in .45 ACP. I've never had a failure to extract with either gun. The external extractor works just fine.

BTW, the PD that I still own is my carry gun. That should give you a pretty good indication of my opinion of its reliability.

• 4 years later...

I have seen this gun in the store twice and totally love it. The first time (2mos ago) I asked them to take it away quickly, because I was buying my 1st and I didn't want to spend that much. The second time was yesterday and I really liked it. The blued parts are a little annoying but definitely not a deal breaker.

How is the accuracy of these guns out of the box? And do you guys have any updates now that it's been quite a few years?

sw-1911-pro-9mm-a.jpg

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Sweet, thanks guys. I think I might go for this one toward the end of this year.

I wonder if (imagine) something can be done about the safety, whatever system it has. I read it's like a hybrid system or something. Series 80 is a piece of cake to eliminate, not sure about this one, but I might be just fine with it how it comes. The trigger feels really nice on the gun in the store - a lot nicer than my Series 80 Sig (that will change during the off season :) )

Very few manufacturers make them in 40, right now I think only STI and Sig. Speaking from experience with one from both of them, can say for what ever the reason or problem a 1911 in 40 is more finicky then in 45 or 9. Might be the one of the reasons except for special order only 2 manufacturers right now.

I have a 1911 pro series 9mm that I purchased when they first came out. I can honestly say that I should have got the Springfield 9mm my dealer had at the time. The barrel chamber would destroy brass worse than a glock. it shot about a foot to the right at 15 yards. send it back to smith with a target off a ransom rest with 10 shots on it. they sent it back with a new bushing that took a act of god to get off and it still shot to the left. for the same amount of money get a STI Trojan built the way you like it or for about $900 get a springfield and add the parts that you want.

• 1 year later...