Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$10K open vs $3K open gun

Victor_R

I found the open pic thread and wow there are some nice open guns so I started looking at prices and my eye's almost busted out the sockets. What makes a $10K open gun better then a $3K open gun? Is it just looks? I would think paying for a gun that's $3K better run. Mind you I'm new to this open thing and I've never shot one. Thanks for any info.

It all depends on the 'smith. You would be surprised that "sometimes" a $3k open gun still ain't running as it should be for its price. and yes, i think a running $2k open is the same as a running $20k open gun, its just that you look better on the stage with the more expensive one :devil:

Where did you see a $10K Open gun? The common range for full custom guns is $3K to $5K...give or take. R,

Well it's 8K but add all the transfer fees and WA sales tax.

https://www.gunsupplies.co.nz/firearms/pistol/limcat-guns-razorcat-series-238

That was in New Zealand. Comes out to about $6450 US, and that's probably still overpriced since they have more restrictive laws (or so I am told), plus there's international shipping, customs, etc. I can't find pricing here, but I bet it's more like $5K.

-- John.

ETA: for comparison, a Para GI Expert (US MSRP: $599 US) is listed for $1295.95 NZ ($972.82 US). I think there's a bit of a markup going on, probably including reasons mentioned above.

Edited by John Tuley

Well, like most things you reach a point of diminishing return. You can get a damned fine full custom Open gun in the 3 to 5k range. Above that you are going to get much less performance increase for your investment. A depleted uranium slide racker might improve your game.... maybe, but it sure isn't going to come cheap.

This is an ongoing topic of discussion about where the the balance point is. Is it better to spend 3K on a gun and put the other 2K in training and bullets? How about 3K? 4K?? There is no definitive answer.

I didn't know that was New Zealand price. Well I'm going to turn my XDm 9 into a open gun until I can afford the real deal. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be abled to buy one.

Edited by Victor R

Hey Victor, I bought my Open SVI gun for $1600 used from a local shooter. It's never held me back. I think you have Single stack guns more expensive than my open gun. :-) Then again, it's hardly a beauty queen.

I've had smiths offer to refinish my gun for me, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's worn, finish is gone, and not to sound sexist, but my favorite view of my, ahem, gun, is from behind. ;-)

Edited by Aristotle

Let me know if you want to give "open" gun a try. I'll loan you all of my gear, holster, mags, pouches, etc... you supply the bullets. My gun shoots everything, including minor without hick up as long as the bullets are CMJ's/FMJ's.

Let me know if you want to give "open" gun a try. I'll loan you all of my gear, holster, mags, pouches, etc... you supply the bullets. My gun shoots everything, including minor without hick up as long as the bullets are CMJ's/FMJ's.

Thanks Ari. I will have to hit you up on that offer sometime.

All the slide cuts above your basic weight reduction cuts add labor hours. You can price just about every part on an open gun and then subtract the parts $$$ from the price of the gun and you get pretty close to labor cost. Different builders, different labor costs. We're talking American custom guns staying within the borders though.

i gave $1100 for my open gun used with 3 mags, belt ,holster, and 3 mag pouches. the gun is tight. hasnt been shot much till i bought it. i have spent about $500 on it making changes such as optics, racker, etc. it runs great and never had a problem. you can find good deals on open guns if you look and not in a hurry to buy. i say shoot what you have and keep your eyes open for that good deal that you will eventually find.

That guy with the wierd Eye, aka Benny he builds a very good Open gun. I shoot with couple guys that shoot his guns and I have shot their guns and they are very good. What makes a good open gun isn't pumping money into it, it is selecting and fitting the combination of parts and holes that work together aka synergy, listen to your gun builder, he knows what works.

I'm thinking a gun like that Limcat is just a Vulgar Display of Wealth, but a pretty one.

$3500 is plenty too much for a open gun, my personal limit is $2000 that is why all of mine were bought used. I have a new one in the oven but I won some of the parts so it will still be less than 2k.

thread drift

I've had smiths offer to refinish my gun for me, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's worn, finish is gone, and not to sound sexist, but my favorite view of my, ahem, gun, is from behind. ;-)

i think the honest wear shows character. my favorite handgun is the one with the most wear, the most nicks, dings, blueing worn off etc. it may not look like a safe queen anymore, but it's seen hard use and the fact that it still works well 30K rounds later gives me comfort it was built well.

I'm thinking a gun like that Limcat is just a Vulgar Display of Wealth, but a pretty one.

$3500 is plenty too much for a open gun, my personal limit is $2000 that is why all of mine were bought used. I have a new one in the oven but I won some of the parts so it will still be less than 2k.

Its all relative. I'm sure there may be some other shooters that consider your pistols (whether you paid full price for them or not) a 'vulgar display of wealth.'

Edited by al503

I think it's arbitrary to say you shouldn't be paying a certain amount for a certain product/service without knowing the process, craftsmanship and creativity involved in producing it.

Most of us know that there are smiths here that charges above 3500, and they still are the first recommendations that are usually mentioned for someone looking into an open gun.

Just because you are happy with what you have right now does not mean it's the same or better than everyone else's open gun.

I think you also have to take into consideration that some people view there guns as man-jewelry. They want everyone to ogle at their gun on their hip and be the talk of the range. Me personally, I prefer to have a "sleeper", might not look great but it runs like a raped ape. However it all depends on the person shooting the gun. A GM shooting a lower priced open gun is going to beat an average shooter with a big $ gun. I would love to have a shiny new Limcat or Brazos open gun, but the price and wait is a bit much right now. Got lucky and found a great deal on a JL Hardy. I am totally happy with it and 7k+ rounds in a year and a 1/2 and no issues whatsoever I can't complain.

Edited by ronhonda

This post is very timely. I have just started looking at Open myself. I have done a lot of research and the gun is just the begining. Don't forget about the $500 for five tuned mags, then the brass, bullets, holster, powder, and new re-loader set up. With a $4K gun (http://www.predatortactical.com/High-Capacity-Pistols/-Banshee-Open-Gun-p300.html) I am looking at a total investmetn of $6K just to fire the first round.

If you are serious about building an Open XD then I would recomend you send your gun to Powder River Precision (http://www.powderriverprecision.com). Dan is a good guy and has a lot of experiance with XD guns.