Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Picked up my 22" yesterday, got it from grabagun. all looks great, feels right, shoulders well, I only shot a few rounds, functions fine, they were bulk pack winchesters 7/8 oz 7 1/2 loads. Not enough to tell anything, but so far so good. first rd I loaded though trapped my thumb, made a believer out of me that I either need to change my technique or get added to C-Rums list. My 3gungear saddle is due any day and iill get it on. picked up some cali-comp works 4x4 caddies, need to figure how to set them up, nice quality overall. More reports to come.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$449 ???

Wholesale is $500.

Something does not compute.

Gun is in demand so cannot believe dealer would sell at a loss.

Mark

Maybe it's $449 GBP, so $710 USD? :wacko:

If USD that's one hell of a deal.

Oh....it's a Kentucky FFL alright and in American dollars...........he buys firearms by the pallet!!!

$449 ???

Wholesale is $500.

Something does not compute.

Gun is in demand so cannot believe dealer would sell at a loss.

Mark

Maybe it's $449 GBP, so $710 USD? :wacko:

If USD that's one hell of a deal.

Oh....it's a Kentucky FFL alright and in American dollars...........he buys firearms by the pallet!!!

And whats his web adress or name Edited by g929

Does anyone know if Mossberg is still exchanging ported barrels for unported ones? I tried calling today to ask for Edna Yvette, but the CS rep had no clue.

Edna has been gone from Mossberg for a long time. Maybe a year. (?). I don't recall that they were exchanging barrels, but they may have at first.

Does anyone know if Mossberg is still exchanging ported barrels for unported ones? I tried calling today to ask for Edna Yvette, but the CS rep had no clue.

If it is unfired, you may be able to exchange it. That's how I got mine.

Do you remember which department you contacted? The customer service rep was pretty stubborn and said that they never have done barrel exchanges, and never will.

They will no longer do a barrel exchange......I was the first, but it did not last long before they realized that most would just pay for the barrels. Edna is gone from Mossberg and you are correct about how unhelpful their Customer Service department is........but somewhere toward the beginning of this thread......Edna posted a contact that she recommended. Good luck.

Do you remember which department you contacted? The customer service rep was pretty stubborn and said that they never have done barrel exchanges, and never will.

I sent a emai back last october, got a reply a few weeks later. I dealt with the guy that is mentioned a few pages back, can't remember if it was jim or jeff. It took two months to receive. But was worth the savings. I got a totally built 930 for 500 bucks. Runs so well my buddy had to borrow it at a match last week when his fn started constantly double feeding. Got 400 sheels through it so far without a failure yet. Knock on wood. I do clean it every hundred or two though. The gas piston gets dirty quickly. But I would buy another tomorrow and still be under the price of 1 gun from the competition.

Edited by sdm74

Sorry for the bad iPhone photography. Out of the box, I'm really happy with this shotgun. I want to take it apart, clean, and oil it before going to shoot it the first time. I'll post more photos disassembled if I have time later in the week.

Ouch on that set screw in the back of the trigger guard!!

Sorry for the bad iPhone photography. Out of the box, I'm really happy with this shotgun. I want to take it apart, clean, and oil it before going to shoot it the first time. I'll post more photos disassembled if I have time later in the week.

Once it's setup to stop over travel, it does not stick out.

1500 mixed bird,buck & slug just been fired through my JM 930 by a number of shooters .............. happy to report the chrome plated parts work very very well.

My standard 930 will start to slow down after 200 rapid fired rounds due to the lead/powder build up on the magtube , no such problem with the JM.

Thanks Mossberg for a great shotgun match ready.

Once it's setup to stop over travel, it does not stick out.

+1 :cheers: I have done two so far and they are definately buried into the trigger guard when they are set. ENSURE FIREARM IS UNLOADED! Then I put a drop of blue locktite on it as it stuck out the back then screwed it in until it touched the trigger (well almost). Then back the screw out while holding the trigger until the hammer falls then about another third of a turn and you should be good to go. It doesn't take any weight off, but if feels way better.

I guess you can skip the locktite, but if you ever need to move/remove it a minute with a soldering iron is no big deal and way better than it locking up the trigger in a match.

Ok, it came with 3 chokes. How do I tell them apart and what is the difference between them?

I don't have one sitting in front of me, but it is written (really small) on the choke tubes themselves. THere are also grooves in the to tell them apart, this won't be correct, but it's like 2 lines for full, 1 for modified and none for IMP CYL IIRC. You may need a magnifying glass to read it or rub the letters with some chalk to get the contrast if you need to.

Ok, it came with 3 chokes. How do I tell them apart and what is the difference between them?

I don't have one sitting in front of me, but it is written (really small) on the choke tubes themselves. THere are also grooves in the to tell them apart, this won't be correct, but it's like 2 lines for full, 1 for modified and none for IMP CYL IIRC. You may need a magnifying glass to read it or rub the letters with some chalk to get the contrast if you need to.

Thanks! Under what circumstances would I choose a different choke than what came in the barrel?

Thanks! Under what circumstances would I choose a different choke than what came in the barrel?

Not to be a smartass, when you need a different choke. Take some targets, or butcher paper and see how much the pattern opens up at different distance.

shot my 22" JM today, box of Winchester wally world 7 1/2 1 1/8 oz, had 3 fail to feed while firing. that stuff would not pick up from bolt back, drop shell in ejection port, hit bolt release to load, would catch the top of front of the shell on the bottom of the chamber. I tried this about 5 times, got 5 failure. I switched to Federal target load 7 1/2 shot 1oz loads and had zero failures except one with the bolt release button after throwing a single in the ejection port. about 40 rds total today, decided to tear it down, clean and oil, try again with some more various types. i didnt expect to have the lighter loads give me less fits. both are the aluminum base. im wondering if , its a crimp thing or the extra shot is widening the mouth of the shell enough to catch? Or if the lifter is not holding the shells high enough? anyone else have similar probs?

Fired about 25 rounds of federal #7.5 target loads through 22" 930 jm. No issues at all. Center of pattern about 6-8" high at 35-40 ft. Modified choke produced pattern about 12-14" diameter so did not try imp cylinder, as dont want any larger pattern for flippers or knock down steel.

Prior to shooting: diassembled cleaned and lubed (frog lube), dremeled sharp corners off the fork of the shell lifter, installed .25" comb drop shim/spacer, tightened all the screws and bolts and polished hammer and sear engagement surfaces to almost eliminate creep. Also moved barrel/mag tube clamp back one space as the barrel and mag tube are not parallel on my 930, and installing clamp at factory position requires squeezing them together .25". Planned mods: add kick eez cheek pad (1/16") possibly replace front fo sight with green marble extra lume, which appears almost identical, and install the noveske qd socket as shown by another poster.

Bottom line, this newbie is very pleased with the jm930!

Thanks to those who took the chance and posted feed back when it first hit the shelves, and BE forums.

Mark

Edited by mpom

Wow, Mossberg's service leaves a lot to be desired. I called, waited 15min to talk to a rep, and then got put on hold so long it transferred me back to the main line. I wasn't in the mood to wait again. If you call, I recommend you immediately ask the name of who you are speaking to and what their direct line is in case you get disconnected.

I wanted to order a spare lifter (carrier?) to send to c-rums. Anyone had success getting this part from Mossberg? Someone should just make an aftermarket lifter for $85-100. I'm sure they would do a decent business.

Along the line of aftermarket replacement parts, has anyone tried the replacement follower that midway sells? Any reason other than the stainless/red looks?

Their CS does stink. No one seems to know what is going on, and they seem to just make up something when they don't know, instead of tracking down a correct answer. I assume these are pretty low paying jobs or pay is tied to how many calls they handle, or both. When Edna left we lost the one person who was aware, seemed honest & willing to look for info.