Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

The trigger unit on my 85119 has some side to side wiggle in it. I do not think it is a problem but does anyone have a tip or trick to tighten that up, preferably without having to have a gunsmith work on it. I did already check the pins and they are tight. It came this way out of the box and aside from a couple of sharp ridges on the stock (from the molding process) that I sanded down it is great so far.

I have the same wiggle in mine. Try putting a 6" c-clamp on it and turn it down until the wiggle is gone.

Okay...don't do that. It might put you in open at some matches for having an additional handle or some crap like that.

I have wondered the same thing as far as a way to fix it. Not sure it hurts anything, but i bet it doesn't help. I have been thinking of some way to make the trigger group wider - maybe adhere some shim material to the sides?

Anybody else have a great idea like the first one above?

Have a little wiggle in mine also, only noticeable with sideways pressure, not when pressing back as in dry firing. Trigger guard housing containing fcg has no movement in receiver. Seems there is a slot milled in housing in which trigger linkeage resides, with excess clearance for parts. Can imagine shimming up sides of slot to reduce side to side play, if this is an issuethat i notice while shooting.

Mark

Mark

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got mine ordered finally this morning. too many days of internet surfing, finding one or two in stock and by the time I get the FFL on the ball, they are sold out. Found two this AM on a sight and called my FFL, he was right on it, within a few minutes of hangin up the phone, the status went from 2 in stock to one in stock, then just to "in stock" he called me back two minutes later, said it was on its way, I checked the site again as soon as we hung up, "out of stock" whew, barely made that one. Im stoked, cant wait now. Hope its as good out of the box as the rest here on the sight, I always seem to get the duds when I order stuff.

Finally picked mine up today from my FFL (been sitting there since Tuesday, so it's been the longest week ever). Everything function-checked OK, but the action felt gritty, like there was sand inside. Broke it completely down for cleaning, and it must have been the filthiest new gun I've ever seen. My SPX was also dirty, but not quite as dirty. After about an hour, half a roll of paper shop towels and a little of Slip 2000, everything feels very smooth, and I'm sure putting a couple hundred rounds through it will make it feel even better. Now I just need to find some time and actually go shoot it...

I got mine ordered. Still need to notify FFL.

EDIT: FFL notifited. Got it from grabagun.com. Their stock when from 2 down to 1, so there's still one more. I got it for $560 with shipping, then $35 for transfer fee with my FFL.

Edited by Erucolindon

WWhat is the propose of the overtravel screw?

Jake, on some triggers there is a lot of trigger overtravel that causes some folks to have issues with fast follow up shots due to having to come way off the trigger a great deal. My Saiga, for example, has a lot of over travel, but your 930 doesn't have this, nor does mine.

While it is a nice little feature to be included on the JM 930, I doubt the gun needed it. That said, I was concerned that the set screw would dig into my finger, as it protrudes quit a bit from the factory. So, what I did, is SAFELY dry fire the gun and hold the trigger as far back as possible, then run the overtravel screw in to where it just barely touches the back of the trigger.

(You know, you just could have called me and asked this question, knucklehead. lol)

WWhat is the propose of the overtravel screw?

Jake, on some triggers there is a lot of trigger overtravel that causes some folks to have issues with fast follow up shots due to having to come way off the trigger a great deal. My Saiga, for example, has a lot of over travel, but your 930 doesn't have this, nor does mine.

While it is a nice little feature to be included on the JM 930, I doubt the gun needed it. That said, I was concerned that the set screw would dig into my finger, as it protrudes quit a bit from the factory. So, what I did, is SAFELY dry fire the gun and hold the trigger as far back as possible, then run the overtravel screw in to where it just barely touches the back of the trigger.

(You know, you just could have called me and asked this question, knucklehead. lol)

You are right

Yeah I know what they are for, but wasn't sure what it was for on this gun because the trigger comes nowhere near it.

I am going to have to move it forward or completely out because just in screwing around doing reloads it drops right back into my middle finger.

I like it, nice and light, can't wait to get out and shoot it

That overtravel screw seems to be useless on this shotgun. I also didn't like it digging into my finger, so I drove it all the way in to where the head of the screw is flush with the back of the trigger guard, and it's still not even touching the trigger (there is still about 1/16" gap there).

Not useless; you just need to keep screwing it in. I screwed in the screw till the hammer would not drop while maintaining pressure on trigger, then unscrewed it till hammer dropped. Unscrewed another half turn to prevent hammer dragging on sear and called it good. Sure, end of screw with allen wrench recess was deep inside of triggerguard but not in danger of falling out.

You may be right. I'm just going to leave it alone for now since I don't think it's really needed (there isn't much overtravel to begin with, IMO). I mostly just didn't want the screw sticking out the back of the trigger guard.

ordered the JM Pro 930 9 shot from grabagun, my first online gun order ever! cross your fingers for me.

I'm in the same boat, ordered from grabagun today, first online order. It lacks that personal face to face interaction, but I can't complain about the cost.

Ok, now that I have a 10 shot JM on order... What is everyone doing to their JM 930 once you've got it? Anything that you want to replace? How are you planning on perfecting it or is it already there?

The only thing I'm replacing for now is the thumb safety. I may also order the extended Nordic end cap to see if it'll let me load 9 rounds in the tube instead of 8 (I have the 9 shot model). Finally, I may get a set of FO sights that clip on to the rib to give better accuracy with long range shots/slugs, but I'll shoot a few matched first to see how I do with just the front sight.

Ok, now that I have a 10 shot JM on order... What is everyone doing to their JM 930 once you've got it? Anything that you want to replace? How are you planning on perfecting it or is it already there?

The only thing I'm replacing for now is the thumb safety. I may also order the extended Nordic end cap to see if it'll let me load 9 rounds in the tube instead of 8 (I have the 9 shot model). Finally, I may get a set of FO sights that clip on to the rib to give better accuracy with long range shots/slugs, but I'll shoot a few matched first to see how I do with just the front sight.

What's the difference in the new thumb safety? What sight are you going to add, just rear, make/model?

ordered the JM Pro 930 9 shot from grabagun, my first online gun order ever! cross your fingers for me.

I'm in the same boat, ordered from grabagun today, first online order. It lacks that personal face to face interaction, but I can't complain about the cost.

very true

What's the difference in the new thumb safety? What sight are you going to add, just rear, make/model?

I installed this safety on my SPX and like the way it feels. It's wider than stock safety and is easier to operate IMO. For the sights, it will probably be one of the HiViz sets that clamp on to the rib. I don't know the model number, but I saw a set on my buddy's M2 and liked the way they looked. Something similar to this, although the ones he had looked smaller.

Edited by E53X5

I installed this safety on my SPX and like the way it feels. It's wider than stock safety and is easier to operate IMO. For the sights, it will probably be one of the HiViz sets that clamp on to the rib. I don't know the model number, but I saw a set on my buddy's M2 and liked the way they looked. Something similar to this, although the ones he had looked smaller.

Thanks, looks like to decent changes. You just going to add the rear safety or swap out the front as well?

Anyone else making alterations?

Thanks, looks like to decent changes. You just going to add the rear safety or swap out the front as well?

I think the stock front sight may be to short for the add-on rear sight, so you may have to install both. Of course you could just install the rear sight and see how your POA/POI changes - it may just work fine as is.

I may also order the extended Nordic end cap to see if it'll let me load 9 rounds in the tube instead of 8 (I have the 9 shot model).

Why? If you load more than 8+1 before the buzzer your in open sometimes even after the buzzer. You can ghost load to get 9 +1 on the 22 inch model.

Or you can just get the 24 inch JM to do 10 the easy way.

I may also order the extended Nordic end cap to see if it'll let me load 9 rounds in the tube instead of 8 (I have the 9 shot model).

Why? If you load more than 8+1 before the buzzer your in open sometimes even after the buzzer. You can ghost load to get 9 +1 on the 22 inch model.

Or you can just get the 24 inch JM to do 10 the easy way.

I realize that, but most of my shooting is at local club "3-gun-style" or "tactical shotgun" matches where rules are either different or not enforced, so having an extra round would not hurt.

A set of HiViz sights for slugs and getting the lifter welded are my two highest priorities (my thumb is killing me right now). A secondary consideration is doing something to tame the recoil a tad. A recoil reducer and some expanding foam in the stock are a definite possibility. A lesser priority might be extended chokes in LF and LM and a side saddle.

A set of HiViz sights for slugs and getting the lifter welded are my two highest priorities (my thumb is killing me right now). A secondary consideration is doing something to tame the recoil a tad. A recoil reducer and some expanding foam in the stock are a definite possibility. A lesser priority might be extended chokes in LF and LM and a side saddle.

Tame recoil? Shoot 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz stuff

I put a large green front FO on today. Much better, but I don't get the need for a lifter gate weld on this gun. I must of practiced loaded from shell strippers, maybe 200 rounds and never got bit. How are you loading? Weak handed? Strong handed? Load Two?

The gun DOES bite me when I try to use Load Two methods. Angle of the thumb.

I weak hand load and removing all possibility of getting bit by the lifter is a no brainer. Especially, considering it's a minor cost. Regardless of technique you will eventually get bit, and more than likely at the most inopportune time. If you don't feel you need to have the lifter welded then by all means don't.

As to the previous posters comment about not needing to tame recoil, that also is a matter of personal preference. Recoil is not bad at all, but I'd like to try a recoil reducer and foam; my shotgun, my money. :cheers: