Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Mossberg 930 because of this thread (couldn't wait for the JM model). The first 200 rounds went perfect, then I cleaned the gun. Then, I went 300 rounds without cleaning and the shotgun started to get misfires. Trigger would go click, but no impact on the primer.

So I field stripped and cleaned the gun. During the cleaning process, I sprayed some CLP into the gas piston lug connected to the barrel. The spray dislodged a thin split-ring from the gas piston. Called Mossberg CS and they said that problem happens occasionally from over lubing the gas piston and they would be re-install the split-ring for me. The split-ring goes in between the coils of a thick spring that is captured by a spanner nut. The CS rep said it will be a PITA job to do it myself: Mossberg has a dedicated machine for this process.

Because I've got a local match on Sunday, I'll try the DIY route with a C-clamp and flat-bar for a spanner wrench.

So the CS rep recommends using a finger to wipe oil on the piston area to clean it. Don't spray or scrub that area. I wish that tip was in the damn manual.

I'd post a picture of the piston problem, but I can't access Photobucket from my work PC.

I did the "shim stock covering the ports" thing and it seems to be working, that's a budget alternative. I'll probably get a 24" later on when I start competing but for now I'm happy, and it only cost $1.

Matt

What does this consist of? pictures?

I've got a 24" barrel, but I've also got a 28 inch I may lend to a friend.

A strip of .005 shim stock (a machine shop will have this) cut into a strip long enough to wrap around the barrel. I'm using the Nordic barrel clamp to hold it in place, seems to be working so far. With my brother helping out and welding my lifter, I have just $140 extra in the gun for 10+1. If they get sold for $540 that breaks even with a trigger job on top but no welded lifter.

Hey guys...I finally got my 24" non-ported barrel from mossberg....I haven't had much chance to shoot it....I have put abot 50 slugs thru it with a modified choke and the only issue so far is the POI is to the left of the POA using the crappy clip on fiber optic sight that came with the barrel....Any suggestions on a better sight system...Maybe something windage adjustable....Also, some folks asked about buying my 28" ported barrel that came with the 930....I thought I might keep to swap out for bird hunting....But, it is too much trouble.....So, if anyone is still interested, I will take $100 bucks for it plus whatever it costs to ship it.....just mssg me and let me know....thanks

I just got a call from my FFL, his distributor has them in stock and my order was just placed! should be delivered end of next week or early the following.

Two words "Boo-Ya!!!"

so whats the name of your FFL's distributor, I will visit my FFL today with that info. What was your price if you dont mind me asking. Sometimes I have to negotiate with my FFL a little.

went to town, checked with my FFL, he called two of his suppliers, they told him to call back in a week or two, nothing in. I got online and checked couldnt find the listing one one of the sights listed above, then got buds up and located, FFL called to order it, guess what, they were closed, damn Kentucky time zone. FFL said he would call Monday morning and order it up, probably be sold out by then.

went to town, checked with my FFL, he called two of his suppliers, they told him to call back in a week or two, nothing in. I got online and checked couldnt find the listing one one of the sights listed above, then got buds up and located, FFL called to order it, guess what, they were closed, damn Kentucky time zone. FFL said he would call Monday morning and order it up, probably be sold out by then.

You can go online at buds and order you don't have to call them

Grabagun appears to have the description and model numbers mixed up. Anyone notice this? The 10 shot is 58119 and the 9 shot is 58118. They have it backwards.

Doesn't matter, no one is showing stock... That was FAST

Grabagun appears to have the description and model numbers mixed up. Anyone notice this? The 10 shot is 58119 and the 9 shot is 58118. They have it backwards.

Doesn't matter, no one is showing stock... That was FAST

There are still a few in stock.