Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Looks like Salient is jumping on te 930 as well.

Did anyone look at that at SHOT show? Its supposed to be at the salient booth. Pics look nice on there fb page

I didn't even see it the first two times I was in the Mossberg booth... It was on the other side of the Miculek guns...

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

Grips are stippled.

Bolt has been either replaced or worked and chromed.

Lifter has been welded and chromed.

28" barrel cut down to somewhere around 22" no sights installed.

Not sure who makes the mag-lite extension tube or what size it is... +8 or 9.

Bolt and trigger were slick.

IMG_1132.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They retail for 1750.00 They are ready for order now and will be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks.

I didn't even see it the first two times I was in the Mossberg booth... It was on the other side of the Miculek guns...

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

Grips are stippled.

Bolt has been either replaced or worked and chromed.

Lifter has been welded and chromed.

28" barrel cut down to somewhere around 22" no sights installed.

Not sure who makes the mag-lite extension tube or what size it is... +8 or 9.

Bolt and trigger were slick.

IMG_1132.jpg

Edited by EvilBetty

$1750 :surprise:

Unless I'm missing something, other than the bolt work, I don't see anything the avg. hobby gunsmith couldn't put together for under $800. You could buy 2 of the JM Pro Series guns and have the lifters welded for under that price. Holy stickershock!!

Edited by Shooter115

Unless I'm missing something, other than the bolt work, I don't see anything the avg. hobby gunsmith couldn't put together for under $800. You could buy 2 of the JM Pro Series guns and have the lifters welded for under that price. Holy stickershock!!

Salient does great work and makes great guns. Mossberg's JM model shows a retail of $715. Can the Salient be that much better?

Edited by ninemmbill

Salient does great work and makes great guns. Mossberg's JM model shows a retail of $715. Can the Salient be that much better?

I had thought the same thing until I got my hands on one of their M2's , there is alot more work done to their shotguns that

you don't see until you disasemble and compare to a stock gun , not much goes untouched and the fit and finish is

very nice with great attension to detail is what seperates a truly "smithed" gun from a home built bolt-on shotgun.

I kind of question why Salient would go to this level and price when the main reason

people like these shotguns has to be the price point that you can buy them for. :blink:

Even at $1750 is is still cheaper than the M2 3gun model

it is msrp at $2699

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli-performance-shop-m2-3-gun-model.php

3gun is going to quickly get the reputation that USPSA has had to deal with and that is the "it is only for extremely expensive custom firearms" And your average person will probably dismiss it and not want to try it even though they probably already have a Glock 9mm, Basic AR and decent enough shotgun.

I think that Mossberg is headed in the right direction and are going to sale everyone they can possibly make.

If the JM 930's prove to be solid out of the box and the only thing that a guy has to throw at one is a welded lifter then Mossberg will sell a ton of them. Salient will def. sell their fair share even at that price point. There are several other smith's that are kicking out "full race" M2's for over $2K and I'm guessing that there are plenty of people that are paying money for them no questions asked.

I really hope that this gun proves to run out of the box and stays at this price point. If it does then there will be one in my near future.

I know that welded lifters get used in Benellis. Why is a welded-up lifter desirable in a 930?

For the same reason. If the forked design of the lifer does it's best to remove your thumb nail while loading weak-hand, welding it up solves the problem. It's all to individual tastes and loading style. If it doesn't grab your thumb, no need to do anything. I never had trouble until recently switching to an M2. It quickly became painfully obvious that the lifter had to get welded up ASAP.

Edited by Shooter115

Finally got my barrel from Mossberg saturday. Couple of issues out of the box. It came with only one XX Full Turkey choke instead of the accu-choke set like I was told it would. Not a huge deal since I already have a full set of accu-chokes from the gun purchase. However, I was told that the price I paid for the barrel was because it included the imp cyl, modified, and full chokes. Secondly, the clip-on FO sights are crap. The rear sight was misisng the adjustment screw and the front sight slides back and forth on the rib. I just took the rear sight off completely and use the front sight like a bead after I got it tighted up enough not to move. I tested it out with slugs using a imp cyl choke since I don't have my light modified yet. I was happy to say that at 50 yds my verticle POA and POI was almost dead on. However, the horizontal POA and POI was about 2 to 3 inches off to the left. After I compensated for this, I was easily busting gallon milk jugs full of water at 50 yds. The horizintal problem is probably due to the front sight and not the barrel. Overall, I am satisfies with the barrel. But, the lack of organization at Mossberg is a little troubling. But, I guess we probably won't need to worry too much about there customer service since it seems that most of us are grinding and bendingand welding our brand new 930s right out of warranty anyway....lol

I know that welded lifters get used in Benellis. Why is a welded-up lifter desirable in a 930?

If it bits you, weld it up or have it done. If not, don't worry about it.

I welded mine and am much happier with the way it works. I had caught my thumb a few times and it hurts (any body seen my blanket?). Now i don't worry at all about the thumb hanging. It didn't seem to help the thumb problem after i opened the feed port so i did the lifter too.

Someone mentioned fitting a new lifter. As near as i can tell it is a drop in part. I secured some replacements and welded two together to retain the end profile, minus the gaping notch.

post-20599-0-06341900-1327340986_thumb.j

post-20599-0-70050300-1327341008_thumb.j

If you hit the bolt release with the bolt forward you will most likely have 2 shells come out of the mag and since only about 1 and 1/4 shells fit in he receiver you can't cycle the bolt to clear. With a welded lifter is takes some work and possible disassembly to get the shells out. With the stock lifter you can access the second shell and push it back in the mag to keep going. While this may not happen often it is a definite advantage of staying with the stock lifter. Not to mention opening up the loading port accomplishes the same result and allows you to more easily catch the shell catch. Without porting forward you have to stick your thumb into the receiver to get the shell to catch the latch=slower.

David E.

If you hit the bolt release with the bolt forward you will most likely have 2 shells come out of the mag and since only about 1 and 1/4 shells fit in he receiver you can't cycle the bolt to clear. With a welded lifter is takes some work and posslible disassembly to get the shells out. With the stock lifter you can access the second shell and push it back in the mag to keep going. While this may not happen often it is a definite advantage of staying with the stock lifter. Not to mention opening up the loading port accomplishes the same result and allows you to more easily catch the shell catch. Without porting forward you have to stick your thumb into the receiver to get the shell to catch the latch=slower.

David E.

What did you use to make the half circle cut alont the front of port?