Open pistol Dot sight. Leupold Deltapoint

flack jacket

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frontman, FWIW I have used both the Limcat and the Arredondo mount for our DP. Of the two the Mrs and I both prefer the the Arredondo which sits a bit further back, with the rear edge of the sight just in front of the rear edge of the barrel. One thing to keep in mind about mounting this sight further down the slide is that the window is not that large to begin with and every little bit further it is away from your eyes the smaller it will appear. The Arredondo is lower to the slide which is nice, but not a compelling reason pick it over the Limcat. It is so low in fact that if your slide is not flattopped you may need to cut down the underside of the mount.

Frontman, FWIW I have used both the Limcat and the Arredondo mount for our DP. Of the two the Mrs and I both prefer the the Arredondo which sits a bit further back, with the rear edge of the sight just in front of the rear edge of the barrel. One thing to keep in mind about mounting this sight further down the slide is that the window is not that large to begin with and every little bit further it is away from your eyes the smaller it will appear. The Arredondo is lower to the slide which is nice, but not a compelling reason pick it over the Limcat. It is so low in fact that if your slide is not flattopped you may need to cut down the underside of the mount.

Neomet, what's your opinion on the DP vs a C-more now that you've been shooting it awhile now?

I've been thinkning about trying one next season.

Thanks

ccL

Okay guys, here you go. First a couple caveats. This is just two people's opinions with a sprinkling of comments from others who I know who have tried both. YMMV. As a background I am a B Open shooter and Leslie is a newly minted C Open shooter. I should also say that I tried both the triangle and the dot. Much, much prefer the dot. To me both appear larger than their stated MOAs compared to the Cmore and just a guess but I am not sure the MOAs are measured with the lens the same distance from the eye so it is not an apples to apples comparison. The delta looked huge to me. As in too huge. I know others like it but I am used to a 6MOA Cmore and the DP dot is maybe a little smaller, depending on the diode you get from Cmore.

Brightness:

90% of my matches are shot in bright desert sun with no clouds. I have no problem with seeing the DP dot or my Cmore if I use a Limcat glare shield.

Winner: Tie.

Glass:

The DP glass is head and shoulders above the Cmore. It is startling the first couple time you look through it. I have never been impressed with the clarity of the Cmore lens.

Winner: DP

Proximity to bore axis.

With the DP I zero at 20 and in any match situation short of a target pressing on the muzzle I put the dot where I want the bullet to go. Not so much with the Cmore. Then again I used to shoot a vertical Cmore and since we always know the distance of our targets before we shoot a COF that was never an issue. Plus there is always the 90 degree mount although I am not a fan of those.

Winner: If you like a 90 degree mount: Tie. If you have a vertical and hate playing the over/under game: DP If you don't mind the over/under game: Tie

Adjusting/holding zero:

First things first. Take that moronically small torx wrench they give you with the DP and throw it far, far away. You will think the sight adjustments are junk if you try to use that wrench. Go pick up a quality torx driver (looks like a small screwdriver) at Lowes for about $5:00. Once you have done that the DP is fairly easy to adjust. You have to loosen the two locking screws for any adjustment and the markings on the sight are essentially useless, but I was able to zero mine in 12 rounds. I have never had to adjust the sight since then. I have had more than my share of issues with Cmore adjustments. Locking screws that don't, drifting zeros, blah, blah, blah... all leading to a general distrust in the zero, which is something I would prefer to not have on my mind as I step into the box.

Winner DP

Construction:

The Cmore frankly looks cheap to me. I am not a fan of plastic for optics. The locking screws have all the sophistication of a small wood screw. The DP appears to be very well constructed. Yeah, it is small, as are the adjusting screws but that is a function of the size of the unit.

Battery life:

I have no idea why the Cmore uses such an expensive, relatively obscure, and for me at least, short lived battery. God forbid you forget to turn the sight off after the first day of a two day match. I got a battery for the DP at Walgreens for when I need to change it sometime next year and you never turn the DP off.

Okay, the big question... Will I have trouble finding the dot in the smaller window? The short answer is that the DP does require a proper presentation. A larger chunk of glass lets you get away with being sloppy. We would always see the dot if we started using recycled Pinto windshields as lenses. I really don't like that answer. If I am presenting and the dot is on the edge of the Cmore glass at 1:00 I then need to adjust before firing the shot. I prefer to know I have to be more precise which will ultimately reduce how long it takes me to get a shot off. While it is antidotal evidence Leslie is new to competitive shooting, yet she has had no issues finding the dot with the DP. If you have a tendency to short stroke your presentation you will lose the dot much easier on the DP than the Cmore. (Don't ask me how I know) I also think it can take some getting used to if you are used to the big Cmore being up there.

Summary: While in a perfect world I might like a slightly larger lens on the DP, it's low clean design, battery life, superior glass, set it and forget it zero, and nice dot carry the day for me in the comparison. I know several other shooters however who have tried it and gone back to the Cmores. I'm sure there are some here that might chime in as well. If you are ever in the Phoenix area let me know and I'd be glad to let you see mine.

Edited by Neomet

I have a DP on a Allchin mount on my 617 and I had to change the battery before a recent pintops match, so I didn't have a chance to check the zero after the off-and-on. No problem, the zero did not change one iota. With that in mind, I think all the battery tray does on the STS is to make the lens & dot sit higher and farther from the bore. I do like the looks of the new RTS with its larger lens.

ive been watching this thread with some interest for a bit now.

I currently have a quinn II on a sti steelmaster and am thinking of giving this a whirl.

2 questions:

- will i have a easier transitioning back to limited with a quinn II/cmore or deltapoint on a arrondendo mount?

- wheres the cheapest place to buy a 3.5 moa cross slot deltapoint?

1324503022[/url]' post='1597063']

I have a DP on a Allchin mount on my 617 and I had to change the battery before a recent pintops match, so I didn't have a chance to check the zero after the off-and-on. No problem, the zero did not change one iota. With that in mind, I think all the battery tray does on the STS is to make the lens & dot sit higher and farther from the bore. I do like the looks of the new RTS with its larger lens.

I was always concerned about this, not sure if it would have to be re-zeroed. At a match this fall I had my first dead battery since switching to the DP late last year. Funny thing, when it went dead it went dead right now. It was there at the safe area and when I went to the first stage at LMR it was gone. Husseled over to the safe area, popped the sight, swapped batteries, shot the stage thinking, "oh we'll, it will be whatever it is." To my surprise no change in zero at all, still got a mike, so the long and short, changing battery won't make you more accurate shooter. roflol.gifroflol.gifroflol.gif

So I shot the DP for a full season and now I'm contemplating going back to c-More. Why, I'm not sure which I shoot better with. I've got two identical guns coming from Shay at Akai. I think I'll put the DP on one and the upright c-More on the other and maybe by this time 2012 I'll be convinced as to which I like better.

ive been watching this thread with some interest for a bit now.I currently have a quinn II on a sti steelmaster and am thinking of giving this a whirl.2 questions:- will i have a easier transitioning back to limited with a quinn II/cmore or deltapoint on a arrondendo mount?- wheres the cheapest place to buy a 3.5 moa cross slot deltapoint?

For #2, check out promotive.com and see if you qualify for the Leupold Tactical Pro Team. I just placed an order for the 3.5 moa DP with all mounts for $335 shipped. The cross slot only version is $298.45 shipped.

Edited by tt350z

thanks for the feedback, i gave promotive a shot but not sure i can get on any of the teams.

Also curious how zero at different distances work? I have horrible memories of my normal mount c-more hitting 3 inches low or high depending on what distance i was shooting at. The sideways mount made it better but it would still be 1-2 inches off at times. Curious if I zero at say 20 yards if it will be almost dead on from 5-20 and then aim a inch low or so at 25+

I have a DeltaPoint but it's on my Akdal in the 7 min triangle flavor. I really like it a lot and now I'm debating between it and the Cmore RTS for my open pistol. I'd like to see a RTS in person.

I have a DeltaPoint but it's on my Akdal in the 7 min triangle flavor. I really like it a lot and now I'm debating between it and the Cmore RTS for my open pistol. I'd like to see a RTS in person.

Has anyone tried both of these??

Has anyone tried both of these??

This guy has a DP and a STS, it's the closest to the RTS I've found so far. There's a bunch of pics in there so it may take awhile to load.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132423&view=findpost&p=1490991