Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack - REVOLVER

gmshtr

I've been talking about this for years, but what would be the response if a target or so were taken out of each target array (making it 6-Shot neutral), and holding a dedicated Revolver Nationals that Sunday? According to what Russel and I briefly discussed, there would be room for 100 shooters. Hell, I would shoot it!!

Just trying to see if there would be interest.

Phil

p.s. This would be my idea for the 2012 match, of course.

Edited by gmshtr

I've been talking about this for years, but what would be the response if a target or so were taken out of each target array (making it 6-Shot neutral), and holding a dedicated Revolver Nationals that Sunday? According to what Russel and I briefly discussed, there would be room for 100 shooters. Hell, I would shoot it!!

Just trying to see if there would be interest.

Phil

p.s. This would be my idea for the 2012 match, of course.

Im there for the SS, you could count me in for the revo too.....I think shooting it back to back will bring more shooters to both matches.....

Bill

I just figured it would be an easy way to have another great match with minimal work and expense.

There was only 33 signed up for revo last year. Maybe have a couple half days or are you wanting it a separate day so people could shoot both?

I think they should shoot both if desired. One Revo shooting option: The entire match on Sunday. I bet that if it didn't fill the first year, it definitely would the second. Dedicated divisional National championships have proven very successful. I would REALLY love to see a dedicated Production National Championship!

I don't like the idea of biasing the stages for 6 rounds or 8 rounds for that matter. Build great stages, the competitors will figure out where they need/want to reload.

I do like the idea of combining the two matches.

SS / Revo Nationals

Prod / L10 Nationals

Lim / Open Nationals

:cheers:

I don't like the idea of biasing the stages for 6 rounds or 8 rounds for that matter. Build great stages, the competitors will figure out where they need/want to reload.

Eight rounds from any one position or view is the legal limit for a USPSA stage. Given that there will be legal stages at the SS Nats with no more than 8 rounds required in any one aray, Phil's suggestion of removing a target if necessary to have a good Revo Nats the following day has merit.

You should post this in the revolver thread to get their opinion.

The revolver guys I know don't really care for revolver friendly stages. If you build options into the stages, they can usually break them down a way that works for them. If a standing reload is required here or there, that's OK too. It comes with the territory.

The SS nats hardly ever push you to shoot 8 rounds at one time. I know what's in the rules, but it makes it more fun when you don't have to shoot 2 than reload just because of the number of targets.

I bet you'd get some guys that never shoot revo at a match to come out for a specific nats. Especially when you could shoot it back to back. Great idea IMO.

I think they should shoot both if desired. One Revo shooting option: The entire match on Sunday.

I like this option... with one mod. You choose which gun you shoot first, side by side with all other shooters. You just have to be done with both guns at end of the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this seems to be getting complicated...I thought the idea was simple and uncomplicated. I should know by now that this is never the case! Still think it's a good idea, though!

Very interesting idea--a back-to-back SS/Revo Nationals would encourage lots of additional shooters to try their hand at Revo. And I'll bet you're exactly right, Phil--if it didn't fill up the first year, it would the second! Many of the top SS shooters are very handy with the wheelguns, also. Don't forget that Rob Leatham showed up and won Limited at the IRC a few years ago.

There would be no need to alter the stages. The vast majority of the USPSA Revolver crowd would not want the match set up to be "6-round-neutral." We're in this game because we like shooting big stages with lots of options! Frankly, my only hesitation about this concept is that the stages for the SS Nationals have typically been somewhat short and boring compared to the stuff we normally shoot at the other National matches. I would really miss running those big 32-round field courses that make this whole game so fun.

Maybe it's time to get away from the 8-shot arrays and 24-round max that have always been the tradition at the Single Stack Classic, and do a true back-to-back SS/Revo Nationals with true nationals-level stages! :cheers:

Just remember the Nationals is piggy backing off of the Single Stack Classic, the SSC is a skills match where any mistake is costly. There are more people coming to this match just for that fact. Don't go increasing the round count to make it more fun in the eyes of a very few shooters. Running a revo match after the SSC is a good idea, the targets would have to changed even if it's ever so slightly. Running the same stages for two different matches isn't fair or even legal. The idea of running revo shooters within the SSC match just doesn't fly in my eyes. I'm sure if someone was to start putting on a major revo match only, uspsa might just piggy back its Nationals off of it also.

Rich

Personally, I don't care for anything much over 24 rounds. 32-round stages are only there to make the impractical divisions reload ONCE.

Crap, was that my outloud voice again? :devil:

Edited by Steve J

Personally, I don't have for anything much over 24 rounds. 32-round stages are only there to make the impractical divisions reload ONCE.

hahaha, nice.

I dont shoot Revo at all, so i dont care about piggy backing the Nats with SS. While I dont want to see all 30+ rounders, the occasional high round count stage can be fun. Having not been to the SSC/SS Nats before, all i can go on is hear-say, but it does seem to be an accuracy oriented event, rather than foot-speed or stage gaming ability. I would like to see it say that way........with the occasional gaming hose-fest thrown in :roflol:

Personally, I don't have for anything much over 24 rounds. 32-round stages are only there to make the impractical divisions reload ONCE.

hahaha, nice.

I dont shoot Revo at all, so i dont care about piggy backing the Nats with SS. While I dont want to see all 30+ rounders, the occasional high round count stage can be fun. Having not been to the SSC/SS Nats before, all i can go on is hear-say, but it does seem to be an accuracy oriented event, rather than foot-speed or stage gaming ability. I would like to see it say that way........with the occasional gaming hose-fest thrown in :roflol:

Naw, the squirt fests with point blank targets and pulling the trigger as fast as you can without using the sights are a waste of bullets and time. There are a couple of threads on the forum about how the euros have harder stages than we do. Freedom was won on the backs of our markmen (albeit riflemen), we need to lose the hoser mentality. :sight:

Eh I like 32 round stages. Not point blank hose fest but with movement and shooting positions. They tend to show those with good movement skills and I don't just mean fast on their feet. I don't know how many times I've had my butt handed to me by a old "round" guy that moved with little wasted motion and I thought I was fast because I was younger! <_<

On the other hand I was skeptical about the way the SSC stages looked. I looked at them and thought man this is going to be boring. Boy was I wrong and I enjoyed every minute of it and I'm looking forward to the next one. I've always thought that open/limited, Production/L10, and SS/Revo would make nice nationals. Like Steve said though USPSA just piggy backed on the SSC and it is their match first to be ran the way they want. If you want high round count stages shoot the area matchs....trust me I get my work out doing that and I'm sure the diehard revo guys do to! :cheers:

The Single Stack Classic is the Single Stack Classic. It ought to be run the way the Match organizers have always run it... with solid shooting tests and 24 round or less per stage.

If USPSA wants something different with the USPSA SS Nationals, then they ought to look at running a different match than the Single Stack Classic. But, I think they/we would be poking ourselves i the eye to do so. It has proved to be a great match at a great venue. Very successful.

I do like the idea of running Revo as a stand alone Nationals. It would certainly go well being back-to-back with the SSC. It would be up to the SSC match organizers. I can see it as being fun. Lots of value added (for everybody).

And, yes...if that were to happen, then switching the stages up would be desirable. Not to make them all revolver'y, just to change them up a bit.

I'll bet we'd see 100+ Revo shooters by the second year.

I would imagine that S&W would be chomping at the bit to fully support a revo nationals after the ssc. Heck, theyd make back their investment in the 625 sales just to ssc competitors who want to shoot both matches.

I do enjoy the "hallowed ground" feel of the SSC, so I wouldnt want the feel of that match or those stages compromised.

Great Idea, Phil.

Any new news of the 2011 match itself?

I believe after 2011 SS Nationals will be run by USPSA. There might be a whole different feel to the SS Nationals in 2012. Running a big match like the SSC takes a lot of resources and time. The match has grown significantly in recent years. Perhaps USPSA has the resources to continue the fine tradition and perhaps add some changes that enhance the match.