Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explain Why You like shooting Revolvers Or

IPSC_PRO

I like pistols and revolvers..Just started shooting a revolver da 6 month ago....WOW I had to work at that but it has paid off big time..I shoot pins and not having to squirm your hands while cocking is fast way fast..If anything my bottom feeders are easier to shoot quickly and accuratly due to my 625...just got done with a trigger job that brought the da down to 6.5 hughe difference!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just this morning in the bathroom I was reading an old issue of Front Sight (not real old, it was from 2009) and there was an article about Area 5 written by James Tarr in which he described USPSA revolver shooting as "slow torture." Apparently he completely missed the fact that the better revolvers out there will routinely beat the majority of the shooters in other divisions, shooting heads-up. This is one reason why I think the overall combined results should always be published, even though they are unofficial. Slow torture my ass.

Oh'e did I forget to mention, that most out of the box revos will beat production pistols in accuracy, due to the fact that they have a fixed barrel in the frame. Back in 09 I came in 2nd. at Bianchi in production div. Not because I was the best shooter among these top shots, but because my equipment didn't handicap me. Going to use that same 686 again this year.

Jess Christensen

... This is one reason why I think the overall combined results should always be published, even though they are unofficial. Slow torture my ass.

Every match I shoot, I run the comparisons of my HFs with those of the other divisions, just to keep track of how many I'd beat if competing in their divisions.

But then again, I'm a numbers wonk. :roflol:

:mellow:

The folks who shoot revolvers are just good folks.

Something differant to do.

Like seeing how well my modifications work. :wub:

Like to compare times against my limited guns in practice.

Some of the comments I get lets me see how some folks arent nice folks.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::goof:

Our IDPA club announced that they were going to start an ICORE club at our range. I didn't have a revolver, other than a 44 special snubnose, and decided I'd get one. Of course I could already have competed in IDPA with one, but I have so far to improve with my semi autos that I didn't think I'd ever get around to shooting a revolver in IDPA. I got all my gear, 686SSR, pouches, speedloaders, holster and started shooting. I did not anticipate how much I would enjoy competing with a revolver. I love it. And then they came up with the Retro(now Classic) ICORE category to make it even better. Anyway I love it. Mark

Oh'e did I forget to mention, that most out of the box revos will beat production pistols in accuracy, due to the fact that they have a fixed barrel in the frame. Back in 09 I came in 2nd. at Bianchi in production div. Not because I was the best shooter among these top shots, but because my equipment didn't handicap me. Going to use that same 686 again this year.

Jess Christensen

I love my 625 but I have a ransom rest and test all my loads with it...I have a LB 1911 which at 50 yards shoots under 2"....I have a S&W 1911 only thing tuned besides the trigger was I fitted a barrel bushing and this shoots 4" at fifty yards...both are sort of out of the box...my 625 shoots 7-8 inch at 50......I did a lot of load testing to bring the 625 to par with my bottom feeders but could not. It's still one hell of a shooter at 30' where pins are usually at....

Again! Most out of the "box" revolvers, will outshoot most pistols. Sure you can customize most quality pistols to shoot very accurate too. When my 686 was new, it could shoot 1" groups at 50 yds. with HDY XTP's, when using a handgun scope from prone position. Now after more than 50 K rounds through it, it has open up to 3" at 50, but seems to stay there for good.

Yes, I have "custom" 1911's that can print around 4-5" at 50, but this is from prone using the existing iron sights. Makes me wonder how they would perform from a Ransom rest too.

Jess

You can talk all the smack you want about the latest and greatest add on to your semi but nothing commands attention like this old grandmother walking up to the start box with a S&W model 25-2 on her hips and 10 moon clips loaded up with 230 grain 45ACP.

Revolvers rock.

Grannies with 45ACP revolvers RULE.

"pistols are practical but revolvers are cool":cheers:

i can't take credit for that one - came from a long time friend who's an obsessive S&W collector - but i always thought it sounded great.

• 3 weeks later...

All great reasons. If you can shoot a revolver well, an auto is no problem if it as accurate.

1. Dry fire all you want,best practice in the house,come rain,snow or heat.

2. Ammo recovery

3. Reliability, with all power factors

4. With a 617 and speed loaders you can shoot all day with a similar weight gun as your centerfire.

Especially good for first round on target drills and transitions.

5. Satisfaction of out shining many auto shooters in matches.

6. Accuracy is off the chart.

7. No tunning of mags or magazine malfunctions.

8. Fully loaded moonclips are sexy.

9. I've never met or seen a revolver shooter deuche bag in my life. can't say that about auto shooters.

All great reasons. If you can shoot a revolver well, an auto is no problem if it as accurate.

1. Dry fire all you want,best practice in the house,come rain,snow or heat.

2. Ammo recovery

3. Reliability, with all power factors

4. With a 617 and speed loaders you can shoot all day with a similar weight gun as your centerfire.

Especially good for first round on target drills and transitions.

5. Satisfaction of out shining many auto shooters in matches.

6. Accuracy is off the chart.

7. No tunning of mags or magazine malfunctions.

8. Fully loaded moonclips are sexy.

9. I've never met or seen a revolver shooter deuche bag in my life. can't say that about auto shooters.

This may be the best first post I have ever seen. Welcome to the forums.

Lee

• 1 year later...

John Z is correct on this. I love watching some of auto shooters at the line getting ready. Reminds me of what Art Carney would go through signing his name while Jackie Gleason stood by waiting on the T.V.show, The Honeymooners.

This whole thread is refreshing to say the least. I like shooting my revolver because it feels like shooting is supposed to feel. You feel everything happen, unlike a bottom feeder where you think about pulling the trigger and it goes off.

I read some humorous posts with comparison to women (wow, you can tell that us men are sure simple creatures, very funny though), and then I read Bubber's post about revolver shooters being just good people. That says volumes, I have seen Bubber at a match and he is always smiling, never met a stranger, just enjoying the day. I guess revolver shooters are like the "ugly ducklings", we might not be as fancy or pretty as a tricked out race-gun, but think how the "bottom feeders" feel when a Revo-Pilot bests them with 150 year old technology?

At the end of the day, it's all about the fun and the fellowship in my opinion. Thanks guys, good luck at your matches!

The first handgun I owned was a revolver and since then they are mostly what I have bought. I own 3 semi-autos and 9 revolvers, the revolvers just feel better. I tend to shoot them better. On single action, that short, crisp trigger pull is hard to beat. Even with a 1911 trigger. On double action you have to train yourself to control the trigger. It is not just squeeze away when on target. For plate racks or steel matches it takes practice to learn to stage a trigger during your transitions. You will never get a semi-auto double tap speed, but that makes it more fun. Actually trying to get close to that speed. The more rounds your auto holds the less room there is to catch up to the other shooters. You only have so many reloads (if any), the biggest difference is shot splits and foot speed. With revolvers you have shot splits, reload time (which you will do a lot more of), stage break down, foot speed, accuracy. If I can gain a ¼ second per reload I will pick up 5 or 6 seconds over the course of the match.

Shooting a revolver absolutely helps make you a better all-around shooter and really teaches stage breakdown. You have to find positions that work better and allow for moving reloads, you have to remember what targets you already engaged.

Once your trigger is dialed in, they just run. During cold weather when the auto’s start jamming and not cycling, the revolver still runs. When the fancy open auto’s start to hiccup, the revolvers still run. When it is out in the desert and everyone is getting sand in their guns, the revolvers still run.

When the scores come out and you find yourself in the middle or the upper half of the pack amongst the auto shooters it has a real feel of accomplishment. Getting to shoot with some of the top revolver shooters makes you smile every time, hearing the semi-auto guys whine that they can’t reload an auto as fast as this guy reloads a revolver.

The revolver community just seems friendlier. They give each other tips, share ideas, and are there to remind you all day long about the stage you screwed up (in a fun way). It seems with the auto’s that the more expensive your gun is, the more secretive you are with everything.

I have seen Bubber at a match and he is always smiling, never met a stranger, just enjoying the day.

Just be sure to stay away from Bubber when he's in one of his dark moods. If his left eye starts twitching, just get as far away as possible.

I have seen Bubber at a match and he is always smiling, never met a stranger, just enjoying the day.

Just be sure to stay away from Bubber when he's in one of his dark moods. If his left eye starts twitching, just get as far away as possible.

Far, far away and remember he's used to roping and ..."controlling" livestock!