Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Night Sights for target sight picture

OpenDot

I have TFO Night sights on my G17 and I can't see a damn thing at night other than green dots and the top of the target.... zero target picture. I need bright sights but would like little tiny dots like 3 Fiber Optic front sights, one in teh front,2 in the back hahahaha. I do almost all my matches at night here in AZ. Other than Meps, Trijicon and the TFO's... any other small extra bright sights out there that are tall, skinny with a good target sight picture and not all you see is the sight mounts?

Warren Tactical Series makes both their standard "rabbit ears" sight sets and the more conventional Sevigny-Competition sight sets with a Heinie Straight 8 pattern of night sight inserts (one dot up front on the blade, one dot in back under the rear notch) as an option. Other than that, they're th same great sights, with the same wide rear notch and great sight picture - though the front sight is necessarily a bit wder, .125" instead of .115" in order to accommodate the tritium insert.

Not to be disagreeable with Sean, but I'm just the opposite.

I prefer the Trijicons. I found Meprolights are indeed brighter and bigger, but they look fuzzy to me. I've found that my performance is enhanced by the sharp, clearly-defined dots of the Trijicons, instead of the blurry, epoxy-diffused dots of the Meprolights.

That's probably why they make so many different types. Different strokes.

Not to be disagreeable with Sean, but I'm just the opposite.

I prefer the Trijicons. I found Meprolights are indeed brighter and bigger, but they look fuzzy to me. I've found that my performance is enhanced by the sharp, clearly-defined dots of the Trijicons, instead of the blurry, epoxy-diffused dots of the Meprolights.

That's probably why they make so many different types. Different strokes.

Same here, I just prefer Ameriglo's which have Trijicon inserts.

I've had excellent luck with TFO's. I've gotten use to the bright green dots. It takes awhile but I like the sight picture. My only criticism is they don't stay bright enough after a couple years. But maybe that's a good thing for competiton. Not too bright.

And they have a 90 day warranty. Most are 3,650 days.

Interesting. I may have to check out the Ameriglos.

HIstorically the problem I've had with any sort of dot on the front is that, when shooting fast, I tend to see the dot as being the important thing, not the entire front sight as a whole, therefore I center the dot with the top of the rear sight, not the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight, and this leads to shots pulled high, especially at distance for some reason. I used to think that the guys who said that anything other than plain black front and rear was "distracting" were full of it, but these days I understand. However, honesty does compel me to admit my "shoot high" experience was with just a dot up front, nothing on the rear, and I wonder if having two dots on the rear would lead to a natural tendency to center the front dot between the two rear dots, much more so than just one dot up front, nothing on the rear, or even the Heinie Stright 8 with a dot up front, another dot under the rear, and the three-dot setup would actually work well.

Experiment. Learn. The Path never ends. :).

And they have a 90 day warranty. Most are 3,650 days.

That's because they're absurdly failure prone.

Given how many TFOs I've seen break *personally* (at least five or six sets!) I wouldn't want to warranty them for any longer than a few hours, if I made them.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm with Duane, took a while but i've come around to being a believer in the all-black irons, TFO's look like Christmas Trees to me, super distracting IMHO. I think the lightbar-to-front blade width is what's really important and the less distracting the better.

Night Sights aren't a make-or-break thing to me, but I know they are for a lot of guys, I tried a friend's Hiene's the other day and if I was going to go with tritium it'd be those, what's unique is there's no white ring around the tritium, so it makes it easier to ignore the dot when shooting normally, but the glowing dots are there for you in low-light/dark if you need, good compromise IMO.

• 1 month later...

I'm with Duane, took a while but i've come around to being a believer in the all-black irons, TFO's look like Christmas Trees to me, super distracting IMHO. I think the lightbar-to-front blade width is what's really important and the less distracting the better.

Night Sights aren't a make-or-break thing to me, but I know they are for a lot of guys, I tried a friend's Hiene's the other day and if I was going to go with tritium it'd be those, what's unique is there's no white ring around the tritium, so it makes it easier to ignore the dot when shooting normally, but the glowing dots are there for you in low-light/dark if you need, good compromise IMO.

Totally agree on the white outline tritium stuff. My Heinie's do not have that but the Warrens I'm looking to go to, do. I find the white outline distracting also, may give some flat black model paint a try.

10-8 Performance sells a tritium front without the outline but they're expensive as hell, relative to Dawson.

Edited by Pac8541

I just installed the WTS 2 lamp sights and holy cow... BAD ASS!!

HUGE improvement over my aging Heinie's. My armorer, I think, ordered the wrong front sight height for the Heinie's and everything was striking about 2" high @ 25y and 1"-1.5" at 10y. Conversations with Dawson resulted in the discovery that a standard Heinie set should have a .225 front sight. Mine was .215, maybe even .205 since my caliper does not seem to be super accurate, but comparing it to the new Warren front, they appear to be the same height. Anyway, clif notes version is my blaster is hammering POA/POI and I'm diggin' it.

Edited by Pac8541

... any other small extra bright sights out there that are tall, skinny....?

Muscle memory, a plain black ameriglo rear sight with skinny ameriglo tritium front is working out pretty good for me, for lowlight shooting, so far. Kyle Defoor series, from ameriglo.

Edited by rc2125

I just installed the WTS 2 lamp sights and holy cow... BAD ASS!!

HUGE improvement over my aging Heinie's. My armorer, I think, ordered the wrong front sight height for the Heinie's and everything was striking about 2" low @ 25y and 1"-1.5" at 10y. Conversations with Dawson resulted in the discovery that a standard Heinie set should have a .225 front sight. Mine was .215, maybe even .205 since my caliper does not seem to be super accurate, but comparing it to the new Warren front, they appear to be the same height. Anyway, clif notes version is my blaster is hammering POA/POI and I'm diggin' it.

Hm...increasing the height of the front sight would lower your poi even more.

Edited by bmg2