Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited shooters. Are you adding a dot?

RAZZ

With the rule change, I'm curious how many of you will be adding a RDS to your Limited rifle. I have heard from some Limited shooters more experienced than me that iron sights are actually faster up close, and more accurate at distance. I don't doubt that irons are more accurate at distance, I have noticed that myself, but as a cop with a duty gun that has both an EOTech and iron sights, the RDS seems have a very clear advantage speed-wise up close. So what have you guys found?

Edited by RAZZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nice Aimpoint that will continue to sit in the safe. The Eotech w/ BDC reticle may be a viable option, but from what I've read the relability w/ EOTechs can be questionable. I have not spent a lot of time shooting RDS, but I have shot irons since I got into 3 gun. The advantages of RDS I can see are low light, which we don't have to deal with typically in 3 gun, and the eye to sight alignment is more forgiving than irons. Unless stages get to the point that more shots must be taken in awkward positions, I don't find any benefit to RDS for someone that spends time shooting and learning their equipment.

As a guy that has shot mostly heavy metal, and now moving into limited (tired of the low numbers of HM competitors at major matches), I have tried it both ways recently, and I think I am going to settle on a hybrid. Irons on top and red dot on the side. Now if someone where to put the TA-11 reticle on a 1 power optic (not likely), I would be all over that, otherwise I think I will stay with irons past 150 with the offset red dot for the closer stuff. This set up seems to offer the best of each system, and make it so that if a match does not allow red dots, it can be easily removed without messing with the irons.

I've always ran an Eotech, even against scoped rifles in outlaw matches, and faired well, so it is a welcome addition for me.

Know how to use what you got, and the rest doesn't really matter.

I have not shot irons much at all. I know I am faster with a RDS without any training on irons even on the hoser stuff. heck probably on the long range too as I couldn't hit a IPSC target at 300 with irons. :angry2: I can't see tht far.

The guys I know that are at the top of the game with irons (Miller, Pinto, Trapr) can beat me and a dot or a 1-4X with their irons so there is not doubt irons are fast if you practice with them.

The purpose and advantage of allowing the RDS in irons is to entice begniners that may already have the RDS on a rifle to come and shoot. If its the only sight systme you have ever seen of course you are going to be faster with it than any other system. I am convinced without a doubt that if your vision is there and you do some practicing the long sight radus irons are the way to go in Tac Iron division.

I'm sticking with irons only. No other reason than its what I like and have always run. Yes a dot is fast up close, but if you practice with irons the speed is there also.

as Kelly has let the cat out of the bag, I have used a Leupy prismatic on a gun I shoot in local matches and it is good, it also does not require batteries and has a good reticle with useable multiple aiming points on it. I think the prismatic will prove to be THE unmagnified scope, for the division.

I have a rifle set up with it, but have no plans on using it over irons just yet.

trapr

The info that I got from Leupold was that the center dot was 6 moa and the diameter of the circle was 138.8 on the 1 x 14mm. From that info I decided that it was not something I was willing to try. Was the information I received correct? Or do you have one with a different reticle? Spill some beans for us please.

I have a nice Aimpoint that will continue to sit in the safe. The Eotech w/ BDC reticle may be a viable option, but from what I've read the relability w/ EOTechs can be questionable.

I think they have the electronics issues worked out from what I have seen. In any case the new models with a CRR123 sideways in the sight will not have the same battery bashing the contacts issues than the ones with the batteries in line had.

I still prefer aimpoints for the battery life and better track record. I am considering trying the EOTech 556 model as a friend has one that uses his guns hard and its been working good for him.

So is the center dot really 6 MOA? That would seem very big to me. What is the gap between the dot and the cross hairs, the tech guy could not give me that info and it looked to be very little, is there enough of a gap to use it as a holdover? If the point where the circle intercepts the cross lower vertical cross hair is actually 69 MOA I can't figure that being much use. I am stumped as to these different aiming points. Sorry if I am missing something here, I am a bit slow.

Have the leupold prismatic on My SBR and love that sight. I have tried an eotech before and it does not work for me for 3 gun. If I do not have my prescription lenses in, I can't see that dot(it is a blur), The down side is I have to shoot pistols with non Prescription or the rear sight is blurry and I have trouble getting the front sight aligned in it and have a crisp sight picture. The prismatic, I can shoot with glasses or no glasses.

Hadn't thought about it till now but on my work gun for several years I had a Cmore tactical (won it in a match), A2 rear sight and cmore dot all in one which mounted on a flat top, I don't even know if they still make it honestly. I had the cmore zero'ed at 25 yds without a cheek weld and then my irons set up for distance. When I go to a cheek weld the dot drops to the base of the front sight out of the way, not messing up my view of the irons for distance. Really liked this set up and went on patrol with it for years. Might have to dust it off and put it on my comp gun and see how it works. We shall see.......... :devil:

I saw a few guys at the last match I shot who opted to add the dot.....but not where you might think...they stuck with irons for their ranged engagements, but added a little JP dot to the side of the rifle for hoser stages...

That is exactly what I would be doing, but with a Aimpoint Micro.