Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9mm

jmurch

I have been reloading rifle for competition for many years and I am debating on reloading pistol now that I am starting to shoot that. (I have reloaded a few hundred rounds of straight walled cases here and there so the mechanics I'm good with.) To get me started I bought 2k reloads for $200/k from a reliable reloading company here in AZ. That company will adjust the velocity if I want currently they are 124s at ~1100fps.

Is it worth it starting out to reload 9mm if I can get usable re-loads for $200/k? I should probably mention that I have time to reload and enjoy doing it. I am just finishing up 5k of .223 (I'll probably be the only one at rifle/shotgun shooting HPBT 77s at 50').

If I do go with reloading pistol (comments here will help me decide) I am not opposed to a progressive press and have a good line on a used 550 or a used SQB.

Any recommended beginner recipes for a G17?

I don't really have any brass so I'd probably buy a couple thousand once fired WCC.

TIA, Jeff

Edited by jmurch

If you can buy reloads for $10/box, and they'll

customize the load for you, you won't save much

by reloading - take a LONG time to recoup your

investment in reloading equipment.

You might ask the reloader if he'll give you a

credit for any returned brass?

Try a heavier bullet - see if you like 147 grains

-- I just tried them and LOVE them. Less recoil:)

Jack

If you can buy reloads for $10/box, and they'll

customize the load for you, you won't save much

by reloading

Hmm. I reload 9mm for around $6 a box or less. Buy components in bulk and it is well worth it to reload anything.

just checked my math and i'm coming up with almost the exact same cost that sarge mentions below ($6/box of 50) when I'm reloading my own previously-scrounged brass. i've attached a copy of the simple spreadsheet I use to calculate cost per round based on cost of materials. this one won't automatically calculate amortization of the cost of your press, but you can work that out based on your own assumptions about how long you'll have it and how many rounds you think you will reload. at a savings of $4/box, you'll pay off the cost of a $300 press at around 3,750 rounds. if you do decide to get started reloading for pistol, i'd buy the 550 over the SDB as the 550 will also do .223, and once you see how quickly you can crank out quality ammunition on it, it might be hard to go back to a single stage press (my $.02).

shotcost.zip

You can reload 9mm for 12¢ each, and you are paying 20¢ each. Looks like there is enough margin there to make it worthwhile, and you get exactly the load you want.

My 9mm minor loads come in closer to 16¢ per, but thats Montana Gold 147 CMJ's, Federal primers, and VihtaVouri N320. Woth every penny. Everything I've got shoots it

well--especially the wife's 9mm Colt Single Stack gun. :D

Edited by open17

My 9mm minor loads come in closer to 16¢ per, but thats Montana Gold 147 CMJ's, Federal primers, and VihtaVouri N320.

And, if you add in the cost of the brass, it's even higher than 16 cents - more like 18 cents?

Not a big difference between 18 cents and 20 cents?

There's a post today about a gentleman who just spent about $1200

for a 650 and other necessities - so 2 cents a load for $1200 will take about 60,000 rounds

to balance out. If you don't consider the cost of your own labor?

If you pay yourself $12/hr, that increases the price of a box of 9mm

to 20 - 21 cents at least.

I imagine the people who reload for $6/box are using lead bullets -

I forgot about that:( I stopped using lead bullets years ago - it

is an option, but if you add in the cost of your labor, you're up

around $8-9/box, minimum.

But if you use fmj or jhp's, there's not a huge difference

between $10 a box, and the cost of loading copper jacketed bullets.

This is all very personal - YOU have to decide which way to go - you

can save some real money by casting your own lead bullets, loading them

but I prefer to stay away from the lead bullet route. If you do also,

then the savings ain't that great for 9mm minor - especially if they'll

customize the load for you.

Still, you do have many more options by reloading - I've been reloading

for 45 years - love to play with different powders, bullets, OAL's,

get to try to accurize the loads, and I can load five different calibers.

But savings for 9mm minor with jacketed bullets - not really much to talk about.

Just another way of looking at the equation - my opinion only.

Your choice, really.

Reloading never saved me a penny, but I did get to shoot more,lol.

If your only using one load, and it works well, buying the ammo makes sence. Where reloading really takes shape is tailoring a load to get the end result you want. You have lots of room to experiment with reloading.

In the long run, if your going to add other calibers, and have different loads for various types of shooting, I think reloading makes good sence.

I would rather shoot than reload, but I don't mind the reloading aspect.

For now I have decided to buy. I will be getting ammo made with the following:

Frontier 124s CMJ Plated

3.5 Clays (or whatever gets them to 1025 or so FPS)

Winchester primers

Mixed brass

I'm getting a hundred to test and then I'll get them $180/k. Nothing to reload and no brass to pickup and save. I may be able to save a bit reloading but for now this is probably so similar to what I'd load anyway I'll just buy.

Jeff

Good choice to get smaller quantities at first to make sure your gun likes them. Make sure to chrono them AND shoot for groups. You can do both at the same time which saves ammo. It is fairly amazing to see first hand, how a load that is so accurate in my gun will not shoot worth a crap in your gun which is identical to mine. Or Vice versa.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.:cheers:

Regardless of cost issues, I enjoy and find relaxing the process of reloading ammo for my guns. Add to that the personal challenge of creating something that goes BANG and sends a bullet just where I want it, and I would reload even if it were a break-even proposition.

FLSlim,

I agree with the relaxing part. I will continue to reload rifle for 3 gun and Hi Power competition. The savings on that is tremendous especially since I'm already with others for group buys for Sierra bullets and Varget.

I asked the initial question to try to determine if it was worth sacrificing some of my time reloading rifle to reload 9mm.

Jeff

Don’t be overwhelmed and feel you need to buy everything at once. Over the years I've accumulated a lot of components for reloading through birthdays, father’s day, and Christmas. In just a couple of holidays, I got my digital scale, extra primer tubes, primers, powder and a host of other things a good reloader should have on his bench. I made a list of things I could use for reloading versus a new sweater or something I’d never use or wear. My family is great about buying me things “I” want instead of BS. I have found it's enjoyable to reload and there’s some satisfaction to shooting a match (Nationals) with your own reloads. I have complete confidence in my rounds. Let's face it .... reloading is a hobby. I reload at night when it's not possible to shoot so it's not like I'm missing out on range time. Reloading allows me to shoot more.

I agree to what everyone has said, yes you will save money over factory loads as long as you dont factor in 'your time' to load it...for me its a relaxation thing, being able to make my loads to fit a certain criteria, be it action shooting or long range varmint, its somthing I made, tailored to my specs/guns, will it cost you in the beginning??? sure, back in the late 80's/ early 90's it was said that if you loaded 1000 .45's twice on a dillon 550 it would pay forthe machine, nowadays thats a lil more, but still, its waaaay better than dropping 60 bucks on a 20 rd box of rifle(the price here locally) you can also take the 'sting' out of buying components by buying a lil at a time, or hook up with some fellow shooters and make a big order somewhere

You shoot twice as much when you reload. smile.gif Cost savings?

Jim

Ain't that the truth... I started reloading 9mm on a LCT went from 250 to 500 round count a month, then a SDB from 500 to 1200 a month, now a XL650 with case feeder at 2000+ a month, plus another 500 of .45 and .380 Auto that I still load on the SDB.

I reload for fun and as a hobby .....and it keeps me out of Walmart :)

and as an added bonus I get a way more accurate bullet that I can tailor fit to my

needs plus I can show up at a range with more QTY as well...plus I gain a ton of

education on how bullets work and how to make the better faster slower or whatever

One size fits all store bought bullets - ehh not for me,thats like eating

hamburgers for lunch every day,gets kinda boring

Edited by SonnyCrockett

+ 10 on everyones post's, I like the fact that I can load custom ammo that my weapons like and able to save some money even if I also broke even I would reload cause I love the hobby I feel like a chemist like Dr. Jekal and Mr. Hide when im in "THE LAB!" its your choice, if it was up to me, I would do it!!!TODAY!!!LOL...

For 9mm, buy fired brass, reuse your factory ammo brass, or pick it up off the ground. For minor loads, 8-10 shots per piece is common. If you buy 1,000 from a guy for $20 per K, you're actually buying about 10,000 shots for $20 or 2/10ths of a penny per round. Why even factor the cost of brass at that point? You're better off worrying about primers, powder, and bullets.

For jacketed, Montana Gold in a case price is generally around $74-80 shipped depending on weight and type. $6 difference so big whoopie.

For primers, worst case is $30 per K shipped when you buy 5K with freight and HazMat.

For powder, an 8lb keg will run $150 shipped.

Buy primers and powder at the same time to save on shipping and HazMat. They both will ship for a reasonable cost and split the HM fee.

So the breakdown is this:

Brass: free

Powder: $10/K

Bullets: $74/K

Primers: $30/K

Cost for 115gr MG FMJ reloads is only $114.

Now if you join a local group buy on powder or primers, you will save on HazMat and shipping if your group buys a pallet at a time and has it shipped LTL (less than truckload).

The question you have to ask is are you willing to do the work yourself and buy the equipment needed to load your own ammo or are you going to just buy it from a commercial reloader. If you buy ammo in any quantity it will pay off to load your own.

Buying a Dillon 550 from Mr. Enos means it will take about 4-5 thousand rounds to pay off the equipment in savings versus commercial reloads. Once it's paid off, you're "free".

Think about it. Load 500rds per hour. 5,000 round break even point. That's only 10 hours of loading. If you take one hour every Saturday to reload 500rds, 2.5 months later you will be even.

Then you will begin to enjoy the benefits of reloading and start to stock up on components even more. Then you'll realize you need to start stocking ammo in buckets because you just can't stop reloading.

You can look at it two ways. Reloading exactly what volume you shoot now will save you money if you're willing to buy bulk components and put in the effort of reloading. Another way is that while you may save the cost per rounds to reload, you will find that for the same money spent you can shoot twice as much. That means twice as much range time. That means twice as much experience. That means your shooting skills will improve. This will make you an overall better shooter.

I think i would probably reload even if it cost more to do it simply because i LOVE it! Yeah you can factor in the cost of your time and equipment but once you buy a quality press it is going to pay for itself eventually and if your time is more valuable at the range than the reloading bench then reloading ain't for you anyway. You can always find surplus powder and pulldown bullets from any of a number of surplus ammo dealers that will suffice to get some lead down range,then you can buy and shoot your match components for when it really matters. And if you cast your own bullets you can realize an even greater savings in the long run. There is really nothing that satisfies me more than going to the range with ammo i have crafted myself,made with bullets i have cast myself and coming home with a bucket full of empties with zero FTF and all targets well ventilated. :cheers:

I agree with freakshow, and my numbers are close to his..

Montana Gold from MannyUSA - $71 per k.

1lb Titegroup locally - $14 for 7000 grains, only use 4100 per K. - $8.2

Primers $35 locally - $35 /k

71+35+8.2 = $114 per K. Add 9mm brass at 2c per, and you're still at $134 per K (assuming you leave your brass lay, DONT!), and not trying that hard to save money. Buy primers and powder in Bulk and its much easier to get close to $110. Heck, load BBI black bullets and bullets are $65 per K at the case price.