Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hangun of choice?

Ok so I have been asking this in varies forums here and I do not believe I have been asking it correctly so I will try again.

For you 3-gunners (namely the tac division folks) what is your handgun/caliber of choice? As someone new to USPSA (and eventual 3-gunner) I am going to be making some changes, one of which is my handgun. I have had lots of people say I should get a 9mm (although I am partial to .40S&W) but what I am curious to know is what are people actually using.

I guess what I am going for is this: What handgun do you use in a 3-gun match, both "outlaw" and USPSA?

Plus what kind of gunsmithing do people go for. I only ask this since I see that USPSA (only local club matchs I have found so far at USPSA rules) 3-Gun is Limited, Open, L10 rules for handguns so what I am wondering is if people are using full on limited guns with magwells and such hanging off the bottom. Pics are always a good thing

Edited by Iggy42

If you want one handgun for everything then what division on a handgun only USPSA match are you going to want to shoot? I use my Limited gun, Glock 35 (40 S&W), in 3 gun. Same set up with no changes on it from limited handgun events to 3 gun. I do however use a different holster because 3 gun is a lot more challenging requiring more movement etc. I have a race holster for handgun matches but for 3 gun I either use a Bladtech DOH or I also have a drop leg holster. You should stick with 40 S&W if you want one gun for everything because in USPSA you will score major with it and if you hand load 40 you can shoot it down at minor if you want. As for what limited gun you should get I would say that would depend on your history, likes/dislikes, budget, etc. I carry a glock everyday for work, so I don't want to compete with a different style than I work with. Lots of folks shoot 2011's, which are great guns, and as soon as I stop carrying a gun for a living I might get me one but the grip angle and presentation are totally different and my life is more important than my score. :) There are forums here for each gun with what you should do to each gun for limited set up. On a budget, go glock. Price is no option, go 2011.

You gotta use a major caliber pistol for USPSA 3 gun. I use my Glock 35 or Glick 24. I use the same guns for USPSA Limited and Limited 10 divisions.

I use my 9mm Glock 34 for outlaw 3 gun because a minimum power factor isn't required and I can carry 3 extra rounds in my mags.

+1 to both answers above. I started with a Glock 35. They are great all around guns. I moved to an Edge, just because I had shot 1911s so long, that I never really adjusted to the grip angle of the Glock. If someone were just starting out, and looking to buy a pistol, it would be hard to beat a Glock. To tell you how I feel about my 35, it doesn't get shot much, but I won't sell it, because it goes in my fanny pack when I travel. If something were to happen, and it get taken (by the good guys or the bad guys) it will be much easier to replace than the STI. Also, even though my STI has never even burped on me, I feel confident that that Glock will run no matter what, and that means a lot to me when things get real ugly.

Currently, I run CZ Tactical Sport done up by CZ Custom with 9mm top end for most 3 gun and .40 top end for USPSA. I used to run a Triangle Shooting Sports long slide .40 STI for USPSA and a .38 Super STI Limited gun for outlaw.

Sometimes I run a CZ SP01 for law enforcement matches and outlaw 3 gun. The SP01, like Glocks and the M&P in 9mm, are a good choice as they are fairly inexpensive and can be used in Production or even Limited (albiet minor)

Dan Wesson 1911 .45 ACP for He Man.

+1 on all the above posts. I started with a Glock 35 because of the USPSA major power factor. Started using a Para 16/40, pointed better heavier.

I have had the grip reduction the Glock, need to figure out some sort of mag well configuration. Live in California, we are limited as to

what guns we can buy from the approved safe list.

Glock is nice when you have to abandoned your pistol, no safety to worry about disengaging when you set it down.

To be honest my Glock is the go to gun for any situtation that would arise off the range.

Triangle Shooting Sports 6" 2011 in .40, using 170gn at major pf for USPSA shooting and 155gn minor for normal 3gun. I also have/use a TSS 9mm 2011 for some other 3gun matches. Same Bladetech holster fits both guns. Keep it simple approach.

If its a match like Larue with hot reholstering then I'd choose my S&W M&P pro, for the same reasons as the shooters who've mentioned various Glocks in the posts above.

Triangle Shooting Sports 6" 2011 in .40, using 170gn at major pf for USPSA shooting and 155gn minor for normal 3gun. I also have/use a TSS 9mm 2011 for some other 3gun matches. Same Bladetech holster fits both guns. Keep it simple approach.

If its a match like Larue with hot reholstering then I'd choose my S&W M&P pro, for the same reasons as the shooters who've mentioned various Glocks in the posts above.

Ken let me know when you decide to sell any of those:)

I use a couple of different pistols and loads, depending on my mood and what I've been shooting lately in other pistol matches that month. I started out using my .45 acp 1911, but lately I've been using my Glock-35.

The challenge with shooting a 1911 in 3-gun is I'm usually competing against people shooting guns with higher mag capacity. The other challenge is more logistical in whether or not I can fit 6 SSTK mag pouches on my belt plus the AR mag pouch and my three shotshell caddies. With the G35 I can easily carry 60 rnds of .40SW in only three mag pouches vs the 48 rnds of .45acp in 6 single stack mag pouches. On a 34" waist, I only have so much real-estate to work with.

Since I usually shoot Tac-optics, I run my G35 like I do for USPSA Limited with the 140 mm mags that hold 20 rnds and the heavy Dawson ICE magwell, ISMI recoil rod and spring, and my home-rolled trigger job. Holster is a Comp-tac, mag pouches are CR Speed carried vertically at 9 o'clock to give room for the three shotshell caddies in front. I carry an AR mag pouch in the small of my back.

My load for the G35 varies. If I've been shooting USPSA Limited at recent matches, I'll run major loads. If I've been shooting Production, I'll run my minor .40SW loads. 180 gr moly coated bullets with WST.

The majority of the top guys are shooting an S_I in .40 for USPSA and some have a similar gun in 9mm gun for IMGA rules matches. I use my 6" SV in .40 for USPSA and I have a 5" SV in 9mm for IMGA. I used the .40 in 2009 at the Ironman because of the spinners. That said the top guys could use just about any gun and would do well. As its been said many times before, Indian not arrow..I'm sorry how un PC, indigenous people not the arrow

With the USPSA 3 gun Nats just done here are some take aways;

Seems that I would guess 95% are shooting .40 in scoped tactical...Of that I would guess over half are STI's and then follow up with the rest. I shoot minor 9mm just because I shoot Production, Limited and 3 gun and don't want another caliber to load and the ammo is cheaper. Hell, I got to be a B Limited shooter shooting my STI Edge in 9mm! No you don't have to shoot Major in Scoped Tactical but you will give away points shooting USPSA matches.

The safety factor is not really an issue I believe but there is something to say about abandoning a safe Glock VS a Safe'd (when you threw it into the box anyhow) STI/2011/1911 framed pistol.

I shoot 9mm Minor (Major at Nats) in most of my Open guns too...again because of price and brass. I am very cheap!

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

I have been running my STI Edge in 40sw worked over by Dawson and I use a Blade Tech DOH holster. Works well for me. But I am going to open now and I will see how a Ghost holster works in Three gun. If I had unlimited funds I wish I had a 9mm Edge for outlaw three gun matches.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'd like to have a 9mm 5" upper built for my open gun, but for now when I want to shoot tac optics, I use a M&P 9L with extended mags, or if USPSA, my 40 STI. Did the Nationals use San Angelo scoring, or time plus?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After picking up brass after the O3GC, I would say 60-70% of the total was 9mm.

Chad, maybe the guys shooting 9x19 just missed more????

:ph34r:

I was trying to bend the shots around all the trees, my friends from Kentucky say they do it all the time.

My pistol is 5" SV with a 40 top end for the IPSC matches and use a 9mm top end with bushing barrel for 3gun. I lke to keep the trigger and grip consitent for all pistol shooting.