Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

And, the Match Director just may not be inclined to include all those things. Some matches have a certain flavor to them from year to year. The FL Open seems to trend toward high round count with lots of shooting challenges within field courses. Those take time...especially with a lot of shooters packed into the schedule. Sometimes funky starts and such eat up time on a stage as well. It all adds up.

Sounds like it was (another) great match!

There were THREE loaded table type starts. One of them even required some church organ *thumb rest [generic]* dancing.

This was my first FL Open, and I knew from looking up info on the previous matches that they always favored the high round count field stages with mostly open targets. Most of the stages had several options on how to shoot them, and could get real easy to get lost and lose track on what targets you already shot (why are there 6 holes in that target?). As evidenced by all the mikes people saw, pushing the targets and steel out beyond the typical hoser fest distances made it quite challenging.

While I think I get the concern over the foreign/"unclass" IPSC shooters, I'm sure it's been voiced before so whatever. I'm glad I got to meet a bunch of new folks, foreign and domestic, had a good squad, and had a great time in the process.

Awesome match, I'll definitely be coming back for this one!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my video finished...

Congratulations on 3rd SS, Randy!

You've been coming on like a freight train with the Minor gun lately and it looks like it paid off.

And I don't ever see him around here, but props to Billy too, for 1st SS.

Way to represent!

:cheers:

:cheers:

i have to agree with CAB33, I shot the match on Friday... and I'm still a train wreak. I thought it was a GREAT match, as always.

Scott

Ty-61340

Just one thought: I found it strange that at the Level III match like this there were no surrender starts, no low ports, no prone positions, no unloaded gun starts, no one-handed shooting.

I believe stages were more interesting and challenging at the Monster Match couple months ago.

You can volunteer to set up a stage next year and change that.

Then when someone makes a similar comment to yours, see how it makes you feel about the hard work you put in.

That is the flatest shooting .4.....err minor now I get it lol.

LOL... Yeah. I'm getting about 138 power factor to keep the slide snappy, but these Bayou Bullets and heavy gun make for an extremely flat, fast and fun run. I started around 128pf and it felt like you could just watch the slide and have to wait for it to get into battery before the next shot.

I just got back this afternoon and wanted to head back to Frostproof immediately. Snow , snow and more snow!!! I enjoyed the weekend and meeting a lot of new friends from all over. Shot Friday and shot the camera Sat. and Sun. I will be posting links to videos and pictures here as I get them edited!

I had a great time. I was fortunate to be in a squad with AWESOME shooters.

Overall results from my squad:

#2 Open - Chris Tilley

#15 Open - Nikita Markessinis

#3 L10 - Yuri Bulgakov

#6 L10 - Frank Nardi

#7 Lim - Mike Burrell

#2 Pro - JP Drolet

#7 Pro - Matt Hopkins

I learned a lot following these guys around for two days, especially Chris, JP and Matt(JP and Matt being fellow CZ Production shooters). Chris Tilley was very approachable, and when asked, not only told you how he was going to shoot a stage, but WHY he was going to do it that way. Valuable incite from a shooter like Chris...reminds me of the old EF Hutton commercials...When he speaks, you listen (especially for me as a C shooter).

The only bad part of the whole weekend was the drive home. My buddy took first D in Production, so I had to see him pull out his gun certificate and plaque every 100 miles or so. I was going to make him walk, but I figured Karma is a b*tch, and there's always next match.

Big thank you to Manny and Frank and all of the volunteers and sponsors. Definitely planning on going back next year. Just hope it's not the same weekend as the Daytona 500 again. Avoiding that fiasco added a lot of miles to an already long drive.

BTW, does anyone know what caused Lee Dimaculangan to get DQ'd? I was very surprised to see that.

Just one thought: I found it strange that at the Level III match like this there were no surrender starts, no low ports, no prone positions, no unloaded gun starts, no one-handed shooting.

I believe stages were more interesting and challenging at the Monster Match couple months ago.

You can volunteer to set up a stage next year and change that.

Then when someone makes a similar comment to yours, see how it makes you feel about the hard work you put in.

That is just feedback. I don't think that is worth taking personally.

It's really not on the stage designer or setup crew. I know, as a Match Director, it is on me to take an overall look at the big picture once all the stage designs are in...then look at how the starts and all that are represented.

And, the Match Director just may not be inclined to include all those things. Some matches have a certain flavor to them from year to year. The FL Open seems to trend toward high round count with lots of shooting challenges within field courses. Those take time...especially with a lot of shooters packed into the schedule. Sometimes funky starts and such eat up time on a stage as well. It all adds up.

Sounds like it was (another) great match!

Thank you.

I really have nothing but great things to say to a Match Director and all ROs. Really great match and stages were challenging enough even for a world champs. That was my first match of that caliber and I thought that Class III would automatically require to include some of the stuff I mentioned. I was just thinking loud.

Sorry if that offended anyone.

Lee had some grip tape under the trigger guard shooting G34 in Production. RO noticed that on stage 8 and said he is getting bumped to Open. So Lee finished the rest of the match shooting same gun in Open. I was surprised to see that he was DQed after the match.

Same RO DQed another shooter that shot right before Lee for braking 180.

Edited by Magnus DUX

Not sure what the big deal is with unclassified, it happens at almost every big match, so what. I mean they looked like they took care of business. Yeah the results would have change some stuff up if Matt Mink, Bob Vogel, Dave Sevigny and Phil were shooting production, doesn't mean that they would have beat them just because they are GM's, but it would have changed the overall results I am sure.

Matt Hopkins had a pretty good showing at the Nationals, First A and finished 13th overall, ahead of several other GM's and M. He was 7th overall at Fl Open.

The following link are the pictures I took of my squad(squad 6) on Friday. Sat. and Sun. I took pictures of as many shooters as possible. I will post the links to these albums as they are edited and uploaded. http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac185/PNielsen_photo/Florida%20Open%202011%20%20Part%201%20%20Friday/

Enjoy the memories.

Pete

Matt Hopkins had a pretty good showing at the Nationals, First A and finished 13th overall, ahead of several other GM's and M. He was 7th overall at Fl Open.

Congrats to Matt. Nice result!

That musta been a hard match 'cuz Matt had 7 Mikes and he NEVER has Mikes. At the 2010 Nats he had ZERO Mikes...thats quite a feat.

#2 Open - Chris Tilley

#3 L10 - Yuri Bulgakov

#6 L10 - Frank Nardi

#7 Lim - Mike Burrell

#2 Pro - JP Drolet

#7 Pro - Matt Hopkins

I learned a lot following these guys around for two days, especially Chris, JP and Matt(JP and Matt being fellow CZ Production shooters). Chris Tilley was very approachable, and when asked, not only told you how he was going to shoot a stage, but WHY he was going to do it that way. Valuable incite from a shooter like Chris...reminds me of the old EF Hutton commercials...When he speaks, you listen (especially for me as a C shooter).

The only bad part of the whole weekend was the drive home. My buddy took first D in Production, so I had to see him pull out his gun certificate and plaque every 100 miles or so. I was going to make him walk, but I figured Karma is a b*tch, and there's always next match.

Big thank you to Manny and Frank and all of the volunteers and sponsors. Definitely planning on going back next year. Just hope it's not the same weekend as the Daytona 500 again. Avoiding that fiasco added a lot of miles to an already long drive.

BTW, does anyone know what caused Lee Dimaculangan to get DQ'd? I was very surprised to see that.

Somebody is just jealous.

All of what CZinSC just said plus big thanks to Chris' wife. She was a huge help with score sheets and shooting order for our squad. As a low level shooter, small stuff like that frees up the valuable mental resources to focus on the often times overwhelming task at hand.

It was a great match.

#2 Open - Chris Tilley

#3 L10 - Yuri Bulgakov

#6 L10 - Frank Nardi

#7 Lim - Mike Burrell

#2 Pro - JP Drolet

#7 Pro - Matt Hopkins

Somebody is just jealous.

All of what CZinSC just said plus big thanks to Chris' wife. She was a huge help with score sheets and shooting order for our squad. As a low level shooter, small stuff like that frees up the valuable mental resources to focus on the often times overwhelming task at hand.

It was a great match.

LOL, I should have made you walk!

For those that just want to see more videos, and don't mind watching "Not so Dave Sevigny" type peformance, here are our videos:

Wow. I got my ass handed to me in Production by all the foreign competitors. Why don't they shoot the Nationals? With their skill, it seems as though they could make a really good showing there.

I am right there with you in the "got my ass handed to me" club......

Wow. I got my ass handed to me in Production by all the foreign competitors. Why don't they shoot the Nationals? With their skill, it seems as though they could make a really good showing there.

You know, I did too, but still had my best finish at a major to date, so I'm not that upset with it. This match does two great things. 1. It kicks the season off in a big way and 2. Shows you some things you might not know about all aspects of your field course game.

To answer the question about why they don't shoot nationals? Not to sound trite - but an Open is exactly that - Open. While I'm all about competing with foreign competitors - some great people there - Nationals should be about the US National shooters. I kinda like it just the way it is! ;)

You know, I did too, but still had my best finish at a major to date, so I'm not that upset with it. This match does two great things. 1. It kicks the season off in a big way and 2. Shows you some things you might not know about all aspects of your field course game.

To answer the question about why they don't shoot nationals? Not to sound trite - but an Open is exactly that - Open. While I'm all about competing with foreign competitors - some great people there - Nationals should be about the US National shooters. I kinda like it just the way it is! ;)

You are right on the money about the "OPEN" vs "National" matches!!! I had a great time... even at getting my butt kicked!!!

Here is a video of stage 4.. It was called "Palmetto Run" The RO was a little perplexed until he figured out that i took the stage name to heart....