Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedramp: oil or dry

Leftylivesmatter

Thanks for the info. I have the NC Sectional this weekend and I will give it a real test. How about cleaning during a long match?

No need or utility to oil on the feedramp.

The only time I clean during along match (multi-day) is if it's either been really windy/dusty and the gun got coated, or it was raining and I want to dry it out. Other than that, if your gun can't go a full match (say 3-500 rounds) without cleaning, something is wrong. R,

Thanks for the info. I have the NC Sectional this weekend and I will give it a real test. How about cleaning during a long match?

No need or utility to oil on the feedramp.

The only time I clean during along match (multi-day) is if it's either been really windy/dusty and the gun got coated, or it was raining and I want to dry it out. Other than that, if your gun can't go a full match (say 3-500 rounds) without cleaning, something is wrong. R,

I am with Bart. I clean my 1911 once every year (I only get to shoot around 5k per year though). It gets a little oil on the rails a couple of times in between, that's all.

Hurley

Unless you have some burrs polishing the feedramp isn't going to do anything for you. The feedramp is self cleaning, whatever crud forms on the feedramp during firing will be wiped away by the next bullet being fed. The center of the feedramps on my 1911 and glocks are always clean no matter how many rounds I've put through them.

Some old bullseye shooters would put a drop of oil on the nose of the first bullet in each mag before shooting a leg. May be more of a ritual than a improvement to feeding. Probably won't hurt anything.

Wow, I've never heard that one before....learn something new every day! R,

Dry on the ramp, as far as cleaning during a match.

Well a gun should be able to run for a multi-day match, and I was laughing at my roommate at the 1994 Nationals because he was cleaning his gun every day back at the hotel. Stopped laughing when i noticed his firing pin stop was missing the bottom half.

So it does not hurt to give it a wipe/oil during a match plus it gives you a chance to check things out.