Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is your "Go to Food" while at the range

NJGlockGirl

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go LINK

Sorry, I should have said a "local source". I know a bunch of places that sell them on line. I've been trying to find a good local place that has a lot of variety of things. So, from time to time, I just drop in on bike stores (which reminds me there is one I'll be near this afternoon), sporting goods, etc. It also occurs to me that GNC stores might have them.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that my diet is not just limited to match day, my diet is more like a lifestyle just like my shooting. You dont just shoot on match day only so why would you just have a food specifically for that day. This is one topic i can go on for days about things you should never eat like wheat,grains,pasta,cereal,etc,etc,etc. One thing that helps out alot is to make sure you get a good breakfast at least 30 minutes after waking up will keep you going all day strong, if you need a snack nuts are excellent source of protein and high in good fats as well as hold you till your next meal for a long time. My everyday breakfast routine is two strips of bacon and two egg omelet with raw spinach, maybe some black beans and some type of nuts, except for peanuts they are a no go. You will find that your energy will skyrocket.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Here is a link to check out, ive studied this type of stuff for a long time since being in the military you are no different than a professional athlete getting paid to be in the best shape ever. Just my .02

Edited by calvary45

Okay, so I am known as the "Cookie Lady" while at either a local or major match, I bring cookies for the shooters on my squad, (and really anybody at the range, that wants them), as an easy access to some Carbs and sugar when that "Wall" hits, while shooting cool.gif. A friend that stated that he NEEDS his PBJ, while shooting, to keep him going.

So, my question is this: What do you bring to the range on a regular basis, as your "Go To Food" while shooting - ANY shooting sport?

I myself find that, I simply cannot eat while at the range, (perhaps a granola bar or banana here and there, but normally, I just drink Propel, Gatorade and water, because food while shooting often makes me nauseas,,,(a barfy tummy while trying to run and shoot is a sucky thing) sick.gif.

So, what keeps you going while at the range? rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

Snickers bar! Okay, sometimes TWO Snickers bars

#1 is pedialyte. i drank this stuff when i wrestled and it's the absolute best thing you can drink besides water. the only downside is that you have to go the bathroom a lot if you drink a ton of it. other than that it's better than water.

water

bananas (potassium prevents cramps during rigorous exercise)

beef jerky

trail mix (because it's delicious)

sandwiches for lunch or if i get really hungry.

Foil bag of Tuna/Albacore packed in water, Water, Gatorade, sometimes Beef Jerky. And many times nothing but water although of late I seem to need something most times. I do start the day with breakfast, usually cheese omelet and sausage patty, coffee, juice. Sometimes grab a bagel with creamcheese.

Wonder why I can't get down to 190 pounds?

I usually eat cereal for breakfast (Cheerios or Shredded Wheat). I will usually drink a Coke or Mountain Dew prior to the match or during the first couple of stages. The rest of the day I will drink water or Gatorade. If I get hungry during the day I will eat a granola bar.

Peanut butter cookies! (if they're on hand at home), but if I need to bring a whole meal, PBJ. I love peanut butter!

Coffee on the way to the match and water, gatorade, and maybe 1 Coke and a bag of cheez-it's in the range bag.

Edited by Erik S.

I had been doing beef jerky and cashews.

I just tried cliff bars for the first time last weekend. It's cliff bars from now on.

I didn't eat breakfast. Ate a cliff bar around 9:00 AM before the match started. Shot all day long and come 4:00 I wasn't the slightest bit hungry. Those things are amazing as far as energy/feeling full and they taste good too!

Edited by Pro2AInPA

• 3 weeks later...

Large coffee on the way and during the match. But once it gets up to about 90 to 95 degrees, it's time to break out the Gatorade. More coffee for the drive home.

I'm going to supplement some V8 Fusion Lite this year and see how it works out. The regular is nasty, but the lite version is pretty darn good. Peach-Mango is my favorite. Fruits and veggies in one shot! Beyond that it's just water and normal snack stuff.

An SO in IDPA once suggested to me that my Red Bull could be viewed as an unfair advantage :D

I like energy drinks though when Nikki goes with me to a match she tries to feed me water and granola...

Which I eat and I smile while I do it...

And then I guzzle a Red Bull or have a Reese's cup when it's her turn to shoot MUHAHA!

An SO in IDPA once suggested to me that my Red Bull could be viewed as an unfair advantage :D

I like energy drinks though when Nikki goes with me to a match she tries to feed me water and granola...

Which I eat and I smile while I do it...

And then I guzzle a Red Bull or have a Reese's cup when it's her turn to shoot MUHAHA!

Have you read up on Red Bull?

Look here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

Before I leave the house I have a cup of coffee a banana a protein shake and a piece of wheat toast. I can't eat a big meal while shooting so what I've been doing for years and it works great for me is get a couple of small plastic jars, like spice jars and fill them with bulk trail mix from the store. I usually have one that's hot and salty and one that's fruits and nuts, you can chug as much as you want and you don't have to touch the food so their is no issues with lead contamination. I also take lots of water, sports drinks and cigars.

I usually have a bowl of cereal and an apple before leaving the house, and a large coffee on the way to the range. While at the range it's usually peanut butter crackers and a Spicy V8 for a snack and Powerade and water to rehydrate.

• 2 weeks later...

Rockstar Recovery, water and... bacon. For people who don't like to eat and shoot, suck on a skittle. A small bag will last all day an it will help keep your blood sugar up while active. I learned that trick trotting 12 miles with a 35lb pack in under 3 hours.