Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is your "Go to Food" while at the range

NJGlockGirl

Okay, so I am known as the "Cookie Lady" while at either a local or major match, I bring cookies for the shooters on my squad, (and really anybody at the range, that wants them), as an easy access to some Carbs and sugar when that "Wall" hits, while shooting cool.gif. A friend that stated that he NEEDS his PBJ, while shooting, to keep him going.

So, my question is this: What do you bring to the range on a regular basis, as your "Go To Food" while shooting - ANY shooting sport?

I myself find that, I simply cannot eat while at the range, (perhaps a granola bar or banana here and there, but normally, I just drink Propel, Gatorade and water, because food while shooting often makes me nauseas,,,(a barfy tummy while trying to run and shoot is a sucky thing) sick.gif.

So, what keeps you going while at the range? rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm the PBJ guy.

when i travel to major matches i need to keep the excursion under $250, maybe $300 including match fees, gas, and misc crap. when i went to indiana i think i ate more than a dozen PBJs while camping out a couple days. took my microwave with me and nuked potatoes and ate them with steaks i cooked and put up in ziploc bags, lol. ga state i think i had eight or so. PBJs are cheap. protein keeps the hunger off, jelly has the sugar to keep me up. and PBJs don't make me go to the port-a-potties, LOL!! :cheers:

I was introduced to Cliff bars recently. I have one on the drive to the range with a G2 and I am good for quite a while. Might have another if I get hungry after half of the stages, depending on the length of the match.

PBJ takes to much thinking ahead of time. I need to be able to pick it up at a gas station on the way to the range.

A side note is most(all) of my matches have been local. Now that I have moved, I planned to do a little traveling so I may go to the budget as well.

Matt

I'm a coffee and Pop-Tarts on the way to the match person, water, water and water to drink with a Gatorade thrown in if it's hot at the match and Almonds as a snack. Decent source of protein, "good" fats and healthy carbs. And they don't sit "heavy" like some foods do for me while the calories keep me going pretty good.

I bring 3 bottle of Gatoraid water is at the range so I can refill the empties. I bring a sandwich from the gas station that I pick up on the way to the range and eat after two stages to keep up my sugar level. Diabetic so I have to have something.

I use to drink a large cup of coffee on the drive to the match, giving that it takes an hour. Doctor told me to stop drinking coffee so, it's a large bottle of water for the trip as well.

I also keep a can of peaches or pears in my shooting bag in case I feel my sugar getting too low, as well as a pack of glutoce tablets.

Edited by AzShooter

I pack mini bagels with summer sausage and cheddar.

When its gonna be a long hot day I bring NUUN tablets (electrolyte replacement). Every other small bottle of water I will add the tablets to help stay hydrated.

I started buying the Propel Powder packs for this reason, they seem to work pretty good, but I may have to look into the pills as well, as I am the sweat monster when shooting. I can't replace it as fast as it's coming out. But that has more to due to my Lupus complications than anything.

i'm the PBJ guy.

when i travel to major matches i need to keep the excursion under $250, maybe $300 including match fees, gas, and misc crap. when i went to indiana i think i ate more than a dozen PBJs while camping out a couple days. took my microwave with me and nuked potatoes and ate them with steaks i cooked and put up in ziploc bags, lol. ga state i think i had eight or so. PBJs are cheap. protein keeps the hunger off, jelly has the sugar to keep me up. and PBJs don't make me go to the port-a-potties, LOL!! :cheers:

I do the EXACT same thing when traveling ANYWHERE. Being a vegetarian, makes it a bit difficult to eat at times, when on the road. So, I always bring my own stuff, in a cooler, and make sure that they have a microwave in the room. Much of it also has to do with my illness, and how much I can take after a trip to the shoot and then AFTER the shoot, and my lack of energy. Usually a nuked Healthy choice meal, is dinner in the room.

Clif bars never come out. At a local match-its real hot here-just water and Gatorade. At a big match-Starbucks on the way-water only while shooting, occasionally jelly beans or Fritos depending on the situation while shooting. Really food and shooting don't mix.

yep. typical solo travel fare with a microwave is part of a lean steak, a nuked plain potato, and if i had lots of room in the cooler, nuked plain broccoli head. it's a miracle i ain't radioactive, lmao. :cheers:

oh, and if possible, a dunkin' donuts coffee, and lots of good music blasting loud while on the way to a day long match. the last month it's been some ZZ Top. :devil:

campshot.jpg

my usual travel rig. i had some 8 year old looking boys come up and rip me for tent camping with a microwave and mobile internet :roflol:

Edited by burningsquirrels

It seems that many "Go To Foods" must also be an easy grab & Eat! I love that many, know the importance of a whole grain, "Real food" snack,,,(says the lady that brings Cookies filled with sugar,,,LOL). Most of the time I bake Oatmeal, Crasin Chocolate Chip, so they aren't THAT bad for you. But I do find that many of the shooters like having the cookies available when they shoot. But they seem to help with the energy levels. I have had shooters track me down at the range, for cookies, so I do believe that it's a "thing" that I will continue to do, as I see that many need an easy to get to snack, that won't weigh them down, yet helps keep them going...

Keep the answers coming,,,I am very intrigued by the answers!

Clif bars never come out. At a local match-its real hot here-just water and Gatorade. At a big match-Starbucks on the way-water only while shooting, occasionally jelly beans or Fritos depending on the situation while shooting. Really food and shooting don't mix.

I have to agree with you, because like I said, I myself, simply cannot eat when at the range,,,but I drink water and Propel, like a fish, and certainly do need my D&D coffee both before and after (usually Iced) the match, for sure!