Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it possible to become a Grand Master without using a 1911

bird

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know Taran was a GlockMaster! He's truly an amazing individual. I remember the first time I saw him shoot an area 1 in San Diego. Acutally I didn't see him, I heard what sounded like a machine gun shooting a stage behind me. Thinking it had to be at least an open gun in the hands of some super-god, I turned around to see an unknown (to me) shooter finishing the stage with a stock gun! I don't know if I'd ever seen anyone shoot a stage that fast!

be

• 4 weeks later...

humm, only 165 GM's in the USPSA data base, 69 of which are limited, oddly high ammount seem to be on the web these days. just a thought.

i think that the 1911 platform is the easiest for most shooters, (me included) to master, learning the DA stroke on the beretta was something really very interesting and challenging to do. i may again shoot a glock but not for a while, besides the price or mags is horrid compared to their durability!

kyle,

Dave Vaughn has been shooting at Rio Salado (in AZ) for Quite a while. He is the man, and he shoots a Glock. He tried a Para a couple years ago, but didn't do any better with it, in fact I think he was worse. I remember thinking we were in trouble when he switched over, but I guess some guys are just GLOCKMEN.

be

If the Glock can do it then the HK can do it.

Any gun will do if you do.

I shot an IPSC match tonight with KC Eusebio who is 13 years old and he told me to get a real gun, a 1911.

ouch,

Bruce Gray and scooter may be my only hope...

At one time the 1911 was a "combat only" handgun

KC is a really cool kid.

(Edited by bird at 5:23 am on Aug. 30, 2001)

• 2 weeks later...

Quote: from benos on 7:36 pm on Sep. 14, 2001

Man, this is one heavily viewed thread.

----------

I think we all want to hear that we don't have to buy a $2,000 - $3,000 gun to make it to the top.  We want to believe that it is the shooter not the gun.  Knowing that others have made it paves the way for us.  Kinda like Roger Bannister and the four minute mile...or the sound barrier.  Once the wall has been broken down the rest of us can flood in.

giddy-up

Flex,

You are right. And you don't have to spend that much.  But, all things considered, there is the hard way to make master and the REAL hard way. I don't see the need to make it real hard. A $2000-$3000 pistol is not necessary either, just makes it less hard. A good 'ol used S_I with mags can be had for $1500. Or a new single stack with a few mods and your set for lim-10 for $1200-$1500. The wall has not been broken down, some people are just good enough to do it the REAL hard way. I know you like Glocks and I would like to know how much you have in your pistol including mags. I know whats in mine and I only shoot it in production so it has no external mods but I'm still bumping $850 with it and thats with no hi-caps. Add 5 hi-caps and a magwell and you got at least a $1500 rig.........

I think most of it is the shooter that makes the difference, although the equipment also plays a role. I believe the 1911 type setup cuts the curve quite a bit and makes it a little easier to do better a little faster.

I think two equal shooters of equal skill (I know this doesn't exist, but just for discussion sake) and the 1911 shooter will perform better at a faster pace of progressing than the other because the 1911 and its ease of operation and shooting. The 1911 is a very easy gun to shoot and get better on quickly I think.

I think most, but not all, of it is with the shooter, but equipment definitely makes it easier or harder. The same skill shooter shooting something else is maybe a A class where the same shooter shooting a 1911 is a Master. Definitely cuts the curve.

SS,

My gun:

Factory refurbished G35, came with two hicaps, I bought two more from the seller at $75/each.  Total for the gun and  four hicap mags was $725 (+shipping).

I did spend something like $60 for a trigger job.  I now know that I (anybody) could have done the polishing and replace the striker spring for about $5.

I bought  a HI-VIZ sight and sold it soon after, along with the adjustable rear Glock sight.  I replaced the rear with the regular fixed Glock sight.  With all that swapping I might be down $5.

Oh, and one Taylor Freelance mag pad at $20-$30.

So, less than $800.

This gun will easily carry me to the upper region of "B" class and possible into "A" class...if I can do it justice.  After that, who knows.

Kevin,

I agree completly.

Kyle,

You got a deal! My 35 came with no hi-caps and I paid $649 for it. I added a Bomar $70, Tungston guide rod $60, Dawson small fiber optic front $40 (the jury is still out on this for me), springs and 3 extra 10rd mags and I'm at about $850. I did the trigger job myself and it came out GREAT. Breaks at 3.25lbs with a reduced power striker spring. The only reason I decided to stop there is the cost of hi-cap mags. That is the only thing that stopped me from turning it into a limited pistol.

At the last match I shot there was a stage with a row of 6 pepper poppers (the small ones) at 30yrds. There was a fellow shooting a G22 with the HI-VIZ front sight and that damn sight was so big in relation to the poppers he emptied 2 and a half mags (25rds!)  trying to hit them. I won't be buying one of those!

Singlestack, The best thing ever did as far as gun sights was to take the Hiviz off my gun(actually the flimsy thing broke off) and make my own fiber optic front sight.

As far as the price of Glocks are concerned I won't tell you what the the police price was for mine,it would make you sick.  There are some new condition G34 and 35's for sale on the web in the very low $500- range.

I think the reason there are so many hits on this page is because people want too improve so badly that they may need reinforcement that it's the shooter and not the gun.  We have been conditioned to believe that IPSC is an equipment race.  If you have what it takes to make GM then you can and will do it with a glock; it might just take a little longer.  Remember on the majority of classifers it isn't your split times that are the most important but the economy of motion; i.e. draw, reload, target transition, and even points down.  I sometimes wish I had stayed with my Glock instead of going to the 1911's.  I too was thinking about the best gun for GM instead of what I needed to be doing to go up in the next class which at the time was a long way from GM.

O.K.  

Happy mode.

This C class shooter somehow managed to shoot his Glock 35 with 180 grain Blazer ammo (over 187 pf) into 13th place on a fast, get your gun, trigger speed stage.  Hell, I got in front of two of the big three...and some other GM's.  I'm telling anyone who will listen.  

http://www.uspsa.org/cgi-bin/stage_display...ol_Stage_13.dat