Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone Shot Timer App

arshooterxm15

I got the Surefire app. and it was free. Works OK, but really best for dryfire. Mine has a bug though that I can't get rid of. Every once in awhile instead of the horn sound it will give me a sound of a bunch of crickets, are crickets bugs or insects lol. I have to close the app and reopen and it works fine again until the crickets show up again. Usually happens maybe once per dryfire session.

I got the Surefire app. and it was free. Works OK, but really best for dryfire. Mine has a bug though that I can't get rid of. Every once in awhile instead of the horn sound it will give me a sound of a bunch of crickets, are crickets bugs or insects lol. I have to close the app and reopen and it works fine again until the crickets show up again. Usually happens maybe once per dryfire session.

Lol..you have to use that at a match at least once! Especially if its one of those shooters that takes forever getting ready in the box!

I have both the Surefire and the Shot Timer PRO. The Shot Timer PRO is a waste of money as it'll literally pick up everyone else except for your own shots. This happened to me repeatedly no matter where I placed the iphone in relation to my pistol. The Surefire does a good job for what it is but it will pick up others shots and miss yours on occasion. What the Surefire excels in is practicing dryfire.

Since the Surefire app and the one by Taurus were free, I downloaded them. I also went ahead and purchased the Shot Timer PRO. I will mainly be using them on private property for practice and won't have the added background, so hopefully I won't experience some of the issues posted here. I have a match Saturday and won't get back to the range until next week. I will report back then. Thanks for all the feedback on the apps.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the both of the free ones, Surefire and Taurus. The buzzer on the Surefire covers more frequency range than the Taurus. The Taurus is just a beep whereas the Surefire is a Buzz.

If you have any High frequency hearing loss, which you will eventually get from shooting, especially if you hang around or shoot compensated guns; then the Surefire if better. But good luck hearing them with good ear protection, or especially double ear protection. If you use electronice ear protection, no problem.

I have the surefire timer and actually followed around the RO at one of hour matches, using the RO's as the primary I can only recall my iphone being, slightly off once, other than that it was dead on. I did find however it is best to keep the mic pointed directly at the shooter.

Edited by Moss_Berg5150

I've had problems with my Surefire app only recording 10 rounds and not picking up anything after that.

For dry fire, I use iDryFireTrainer. It can't detect your shots, but it has quite a bit of versatility regarding par times. You can program strings of different drills back to back.

I've had problems with my Surefire app only recording 10 rounds and not picking up anything after that.

For dry fire, I use iDryFireTrainer. It can't detect your shots, but it has quite a bit of versatility regarding par times. You can program strings of different drills back to back.

You have to scroll down in the surefire app to see the rest of the shots after the 10th one. I thought the same thing at first.

i downloaded it but I can't get it to make a buzzer. My volume is all the way up and it says it works with the ipod touch.........what do I need to do for the buzzer?

With 3rd Gen and older iPods you have to plug in the headphones provided with the iPod, they have a mic on them that pics up your shots. IPhones obviously have a mic built in. You won't hear the buzzer with any other headphones, not sure why. I believe 4th Gen's have a mic built in so they may work without the headphones, I'll check it out on my wife's new iPod.

ETA: You can hear the buzzer without the headphones on. I use electronic ear pro but haven't tried it with EP3's or plugs.

Edited by U.Duck

I have the surefire app and use it all the time it works great for practice.

I second this. The surefire app is awesome! you can even set the sensitivity to where you don't pick up the guys sooting next to you if your at a bench. The fact that it is free is even cooler. Some buddies of mine and I run stages with them all the time. You can even email the data to yourself.

• 1 month later...

Surefire one works well and is free. Unless you have an Iphone 4, which it's not compatible with.

The Taurus app works well, but there is an annoying confirmation screen every time you want to clear a string and start a new one.

I have an IPhone 4 and the surefire app seems to be working fine. Maybe they have updated since your post.

Rick